Need Battery, Know Nothing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Battery, Know Nothing

2 years ago I bought a 3600-Lumen 3T6 LED High Power Bicycle Light For 3*Cree XM-L T6 4-Mode LED bike light Kit that came with a 4 cell battery pack. The setup was cheap and works well but I want a longer runtime. I waterproofed the battery with electrical tape and it's been fine but I would like a better case. My Dinotte light has a hard shell case and I would prefer something similar.

Here is the link to what I bought.

Only USD18.99 | 3600-Lumen 3T6 LED High Power Bicycle Light For 3*Cree XM-L T6 4-Mode LED bike light Kit - LED Bicycle light wholesale online Worldwide Fast Free Shipping!

I see now that different batteries are an option now but they weren't 2 years ago. Our rides are 2-3 hour long and the light barely makes it with judicial power management on my part. Maybe I need something with 6 cells? I'm looking for a good, cheap battery.

Also is there a 6 cell compatible with my Dinotte XML 3?

DiNotte XML-3 Headlight ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

My knowledge of electronics is limited to changing light bulbs so please make it as simple as possible.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Battery, Know Nothing-image.jpeg  

Need Battery, Know Nothing-image.jpeg  

Need Battery, Know Nothing-image.jpeg  

Need Battery, Know Nothing-image.jpg  

Need Battery, Know Nothing-image.jpg  

Last edited by Legbacon; 11-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm by no means an expert, so I'll share with you what (little) I know:

Runtime is directly related to the capacity of the cell(s), which is rated in milliamp hours, or mAh. The more capacity a battery cell has, the longer the runtime you'll get.

If you know the mAh rating if your current battery pack, you can easily figure out how much more capacity you'd need. Unfortunately, judging from the photos attached, they're generic or unmarked cells, and even if the product listing page advertised a mAh rating, I wouldn't trust it. (I wouldn't even bother cutting the shrink wrap to find out either)

In any case, my suggestion to you is to piece together a battery pack on your own. You'll not only ensure the quality and capacity of your cells, you also position yourself better to upgrade later if it comes to it. I swear by panasonic cells, and I'm sure others will chime in with their brand loyalties. Just make sure you get protected cells - it'll help with cell longevity and safety.

As an example, snag 4 of these: NCR18650B 3 7V Li ion Protected PCM Rechargeable Battery 3400mAh for Panasonic | eBay
    and one of these: PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

And with such a high capacity (6800mAh), you likely won't need a 6-cell pack.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I didn't know it was that easy to put together a quality battery. I don't know what the mAh rating of my Chinese battery is but I'm sure they exaggerate just like the light's lumen claim. The light seem as bright as my Dinotte 1500 lumen, which is pretty good for what little I paid. My Dinotte has 4400 mAh so 6800 will be plenty.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll add that if you choose to go this route, with a 4x battery holder, please pay attention to the model/version that you'll receive. There are many ones on ebay that look very similar - and it might even look better because it has a built-in voltage meter with blue lights, and a usb connector (to be used to charge your phone, etc.), and it might even be cheaper! But...

Stay away from those! Reason being is because there is a serious parasitic drain coming from the circuit board inside. This means that the battery cells will continually drain, even if nothing is connected to it... which will leave you with a completely dead pack within days, that will take you half the day to recharge. [[ For those who have this version, please chime in... they may have corrected this issue? ]]

Now, if you have protected cells like I suggested, you'll be fine since each cell will be protected from over-discharge (and over-charge) situations. But clearly, it's not something you want to go through, or test too often.

The battery case/holder that I linked to earlier is the model that you want. Notice it doesn't have anything fancy to it... no buttons, no led indicators, no usb capabilities. It's a simple battery holder - and this is what you want! My battery pack (using this simple version) will hold a charge for weeks, even months. It will still power my lights up, and if I choose to top it off, it might take 30 minutes.

Hope this helps you - and anyone else in need of a better battery pack!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    2 years ago I bought a 3600-Lumen 3T6 LED High Power Bicycle Light For 3*Cree XM-L T6 4-Mode LED bike light Kit that came with a 4 cell battery pack. The setup was cheap and works well but I want a longer runtime. I waterproofed the battery with electrical tape and it's been fine but I would like a better case. My Dinotte light has a hard shell case and I would prefer something similar...
    What you referenced to is what most people call a "tri-clone". Most of those that were sold were not sold with very good batteries. That said the one you have has worked for you for more than a couple years so for the most part you got your monies worth out of it. I'm going to assume you use the tri-clone on the bars and the XML-3 on the helmet.

A decent upgrade from your present battery would be a battery built with known brand name cells and sold by a reliable dealer. Since the tri-clone uses the MS type connectors ( I own one so I know ), I would recommend one of the good 4-cell batteries from Xeccon. I use these batteries almost exclusively and they are very good batteries. The battery itself is covered in a rubberized boot and comes with a very nice neoprene battery pouch which houses the booted battery. The pouch is much, much better than the typical battery pouch that comes with most cheap Chinese made lamps. I think if you ordered the *5200mAh battery you should be able to get three hours rides as long as you aren't running at the highest output full time.

Another option for battery would be one from Action LED. The Gemini 5200mAh battery comes with a hard shell. Cost a bit more but both the Gemini or Xeccon battery will work with your tri-clone. Other options are available on each web site. I should note here that I've reviewed lamps and batteries for Xeccon and have received some free stuff as a result. Make of that what you will...Just noticed that MTBrevolution has raised prices significantly on their Xeccon batteries. Not sure why but it is what it is.

About the DiNotte battery. DiNotte only offers a 4-cell. I still don't know why they don't offer a six cell. You can buy a compatible six cell battery ( see "Hunk Lee" seller on ebay ) but they don't offer a hard or rubberized protection cover. Other batteries with MS type connectors will work with DiNotte lamps but not without some modding of the connectors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Cost a bit more but both the Gemini or Xeccon battery will work with your tri-clone. Other options are available on each web site. I should note here that I've reviewed lamps and batteries for Xeccon and have received some free stuff as a result. Make of that what you will...Just noticed that MTBrevolution has raised prices significantly on their Xeccon batteries. Not sure why but it is what it is.
    A decision was made to raised prices due to increased cost - a combination of increased cost of those Panasonic & Samsung packs, ever increasing battery only shipping rates and the tumbling AUD. Truth be told we didn't make money with old prices - we did it to support everyone with cheapo lights wanting quality power source. We looked at it as subsidized advertising as in many cases we were in the red after shipping. Still, we could have fared worse if the batteries had a failure rate of even 1%. To date nobody who has bought from us has had an issue with the batteries we have supplied.

Xeccon will reveal some new products for 2016. Just as a teaser, a 43g wireless helmet light fitted with Cree XHP50. Just when we thought we had peaked with XM-L2 U4.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

I like turtles
    High Quality LED Bike Lights from Gemini, Gloworm and Magicshine ? Action-LED-Lights

4-cell Magicshine battery (BAK cells) for ~$40 will work great with your light.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    The battery case in the link was out of stock so I found an identical one on eBay. I saw the ones with lights and use cords but stuck with what was suggested. I ordered the batteries suggested so my Chinese light should outlast my Dinotte once it arrives. Some of my buddies are having poor burn times and this thread will be very helpful. Thanks for the assistance.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    As far as I know no one has been able to find a Pannova battery case anymore - suspect they aren't manufactured anymore. Some time ago I found an Ebay listing, ordered 2, and was refund a month later because product never shipped.

I'd suggest the prebuilt welded packs recommended here. The other battery box with USB isn't that great and needs serious modding to make it good. Its definitely not suited for high powered lights.

Not sure how much of a DIYer you are, but look at Ledoman's thread reviewing (2) 2S2P battery packs where the DIY option of building your own 2S3P pack from Xiaomi powerbanks was discussed. I just posted pics of mine that I recently finished.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbRevolution View Post
    Xeccon will reveal some new products for 2016. Just as a teaser, a 43g wireless helmet light fitted with Cree XHP50. Just when we thought we had peaked with XM-L2 U4.
    Awesome! Can't wait to see it! I actually just discussed the possibility of building a custom modded light using 2 XHP50'S. Big negative was runtime since it's a 6v emitter.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    High Quality LED Bike Lights from Gemini, Gloworm and Magicshine ? Action-LED-Lights

4-cell Magicshine battery (BAK cells) for ~$40 will work great with your light.
    Ah, good find on the MS with BAK cells. I'd go with the 5200mAh version for $17 more. Should provide everything the OP wanted.

@ the opening poster ( OP ): If you go with the battery case / cell holder I'd be sure to only buy the one without any secondary USB circuit. The USB circuit would require some power drain when not being used. Not a problem if you remove the cells after every ride but still a PITA if you don't feel like removing the cells after every ride. Fasttech has some good deals on Panasonic 3400mAh cells.
    Also, keep in mind if you really want to charge the cells with a holder it is probably a good idea to get a separate charger equipped with four separate charging bays....best way to guarantee all cells are fully charged.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    @travis, Glad the info in this thread helped... Let's hope they ship you the "right" version!

@garry, Yes, I've suspected that the "original" battery case has been discontinued, too. I've been tempted to gut the internals of the new version and make it a simple battery holder like the original. But I've already gotten rid of that one, and I can't bring myself to knowingly buy an inferior product... nor do I want to deal with modding it.

Anyhow, since the OP requested to keep things simple, I'll stick with that and provide an alternative (for him, or anyone else in the same boat): it's not waterproof, it's a little more expensive, and it's not a completely enclosed case - but it is available and in-stock. Additionally, the same seller also has 6x and 8x versions.

DIY 4X 18650 Battery Holder for MagicShine LED Bike Light T6 U2 L2 LED Bikelight | eBay

I have no personal experience with the above battery holder. So, if anyone tries this out, please report back? Thanks!

RAKC
    Looks like someone basically did what the DIY guys here do, takes 10 mins with a soldering iron and hot glue gun. Buy some heat shrink unless you dont ride in any wet conditions in which case just electrical tape or something to make sure cells arent jolted loose should work.

That's really not a bad idea, hard to screw up so I don't see it being something that's "bad" as long as its assembled correctly. Good option, no mods needed.