Need advice - Have 3 lights, 2 need batteries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need advice - Have 3 lights, 2 need batteries

Guys I'm looking for a little advice for my setup based on what I have, and my current situation.

I have a newer Niterider Lumina 950 Boost that I've been using on the bars since I feel like it's too heavy for the helmet. In hindsight, I should have bought an 850 Micro.

I also have a Magicshine MJ-808, and a knockoff MJ-808 with a lens diffuser. These were my original lights before I got the Lumina.

I was happy with that setup, and only bought the Lumina because my Geoman Gear battery finally died.

So I'm left with the knockoff MJ battery and the Magicshine on my helmet. Well the second battery just died too.

I like the idea of wireless lights, but IMHO the Magicshines were brighter than the Lumina, and way lighter on the helmet.

I'm torn between buying a new battery for the Magicshine light, or buying a Lumina 850 Micro for the helmet.

I've also considered buying 2 new batteries, and running the Mj-808's on the bars, one diffused and one standard beam. Then bite the bullet and buy an 850 Micro for the helmet. Sell the 950 Boost to recoup some money. I think that would be a great setup!

What would you do?

Thanks!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    self contained lights will never be as bright or light weight because they battery is internal which also majorly limits capacity. Self contained operate just like flashlights always have (that's all they are is a glorified flashlight), they loose brightness all throughout runtime.

Now self contained that are BIG that of course dont work for helmet use also have batteries comparable to battery packs, making them convenient and less annoying, but also batteries cant match capacity of packs because you can always go a bigger battery pack, self contained you cannot.

Hopefully those that have ordered battery packs more recently will chime in with cheaper options for battery packs that arent crap. I know the ones I have still exist and mine are still working years later.

Most common deaths of batteries are out of balance (ends up with really short run times) or simply the connector wire has broken inside which can be fixed if you know anyone who's big into electric based RC cars. Actually so is the balance issue. How I was able to figure it all out so fast, was big into RC which I gave up for cycling. But have all my tools and knowledge from LiPo batteries that applies exactly the same to these batteries.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Brant-C.
    Had the magicshines. Batteries went bad like yours.

Ended up with Night Riders Luminas. Done.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    Guys I'm looking for a little advice for my setup based on what I have, and my current situation.

I have a newer Niterider Lumina 950 Boost that I've been using on the bars since I feel like it's too heavy for the helmet. In hindsight, I should have bought an 850 Micro.

I also have a Magicshine MJ-808, and a knockoff MJ-808 with a lens diffuser. These were my original lights before I got the Lumina.

I was happy with that setup, and only bought the Lumina because my Geoman Gear battery finally died.

So I'm left with the knockoff MJ battery and the Magicshine on my helmet. Well the second battery just died too.

I like the idea of wireless lights, but IMHO the Magicshines were brighter than the Lumina, and way lighter on the helmet.

I'm torn between buying a new battery for the Magicshine light, or buying a Lumina 850 Micro for the helmet.

I've also considered buying 2 new batteries, and running the Mj-808's on the bars, one diffused and one standard beam. Then bite the bullet and buy an 850 Micro for the helmet. Sell the 950 Boost to recoup some money. I think that would be a great setup!

What would you do?

Thanks!
    From what you posted here it sounds to me you'd be happiest getting new batteries for your 808 and clone. MS808 is going to be the best helemt light of any of the lights you mentioned.

I have a couple of suggestions if you decide to go this route. 808's don't draw a lot of current so to simplify things rather than getting 2 batteries I would prefer running 1 larger capacity battery and using a Y-cable to connect them. I'd also stay away from the micro series Luminas. Smaller capacity batteries of the micros gives them output curves that dip rapidly and maintain only a fraction of their initial output for most of their runtime. Cygolite 800 metro plus is similarly priced to the 850 micro, only weighs 10 grams more, and has a far better/more stable output curve than 750 micro I'm comparing it to (new 850 is most likely very similar with a little more output to start with but less in the end).
    Mole

Click image to expand.
    Need advice - Have 3 lights, 2 need batteries-lumina-micro-vs-cygo.jpg

mtbr member
    Thank you guys!

MRMOLE, I was thinking something similar to what you are saying, going with the Y connector and building/buying a pack I can mount on my top tube. Then run my Lumina 950 on the helmet.

Maybe this question should go in the DIY forum, but what is the consensus on building a pack from separate 18650 cells and using battery holders so I can easily remove and charge the individual cells? I just feel like once a pack has one cell go bad and you have to tear it open and fix it.

I'm a PCB designer/Electronic Tech by trade, so I have extensive soldering skills so building the holder/pack should be no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you have good soldering skills then making battery packs isn't hard to do. Shell we say you would just replace the cells in the old pack, right? I've done it many times. The last one was an old 2S2P Lupine few days ago. Used old good Sanyo 2600 cells like they were in original pack.

I'm using an old but powerful solder iron about 100W, 0.1mm copper sheet (or nickel plated strips) and of course brand new 18650 cells of hi quality. I sand cells a bit so it's easier to solder to. Then I use rapid glue to glue cells in pairs, next glue two pairs in series. At last I quickly solder connections and at the end protection circuit. It is essential to solder quick not to heat the whole cell.
    You can use existing protection circuit or some new one like this -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2S-7-4V-8A-...d/223176458498
    v

mtbr member
    Thanks ledoman. I took the first step in my plan by ordering the helmet mount for my 950 Lumina.

I really would like to use a 4x18650 battery holder and build my own 2S2P pack.

It might be more hassle, but what do you guys think of pulling the individual cells out of the pack and charging them independently every time? I would just need to make a decent enclosure so it's not too much of a pain.

I only ask because it would simplify the battery pack, and I would think the charging would be managed better than the wall-wart charger that came with my Magicshine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you have good quality cells, there is no need to take them out every time. It is nothing wrong to do it that way either. Of course it's not that practical. If you think you never get out cells if they are welded (you can balance them on some other way), why would you need to charge them separately. Ok I would do it just in case every 10th charge or so. Or to check voltage to see if they need to be balanced. Faster charge is another reason to charge them separately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    If you have good quality cells, there is no need to take them out every time. It is nothing wrong to do it that way either. Of course it's not that practical. If you think you never get out cells if they are welded (you can balance them on some other way), why would you need to charge them separately. Ok I would do it just in case every 10th charge or so. Or to check voltage to see if they need to be balanced. Faster charge is another reason to charge them separately.
    Rc guys should be familiar with packs that have output connector and then a seperate balancing charging connector. I have a li-fe pack that powered my race car (full size car) like that. Hooked up to a fairly standard universal smart charger that does balance charging. The second connector basically gave connections to the individual cells so you achieve what youre thinking of without having to take the individual cells out.