My Xt40 has died. Any opinions on a headlamp replacement?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Xt40 has died. Any opinions on a headlamp replacement?

So on my last night ride I noticed that my Xt40 on my helmet didn't seem as bright as it used to be. I pulled my helmet off and lo and behold, only two of the leds were working. I opened it up tonight to see if a wire had come loose and everything seems to be in order, so I think it is time to purchase another light. Just curious if anyone had any recommendations for something besides getting another XT40.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How long did you use it before it died? It probably cooked itself to death, the heat sinking isn't the best on those.

A yinding is a good choice. Others will probably recommend a nitefighter bt40 or bt21. Or just buy a glowworm and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    So on my last night ride I noticed that my Xt40 on my helmet didn't seem as bright as it used to be. I pulled my helmet off and lo and behold, only two of the leds were working. I opened it up tonight to see if a wire had come loose and everything seems to be in order, so I think it is time to purchase another light. Just curious if anyone had any recommendations for something besides getting another XT40.
    Is yours using the cool white emitters or neutral white? How long do you generally use the high mode? I'm figuring maybe one of the emitters had a bad reflow solder job and took out one of the parallel emitter circuits ( assuming 2S/2P ).

The XT40's make good helmet lamps. A new lamp head only is about $30. It will be hard to replace a lamp that gives you as much output as the XT40 with something else in that same price range. How much money are you willing to spend?

mtbr member
    I pretty much run it on high any time I am pointed down so quite a bit of my ride. I've had it about a year so I am guessing 20 rides on it? I don't really night ride that much in the summer. I really liked the reach of the XT40 so I am definitely contemplating one again. Just was curious if there was anything else that has come out recently that would be better as a helmet lamp. My price range is cheap Chinese aka around $30.

Anyone tried out the Solarstorm X6

SolarStorm X6 Cree XM - L T6 3000LM 4 Modes LED Headlight Bicycle Lamp + 18650 Battery Pack-33.28 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Just Ride !
    I pretty much run it on high any time I am pointed down so quite a bit of my ride. I've had it about a year so I am guessing 20 rides on it? I don't really night ride that much in the summer. I really liked the reach of the XT40 so I am definitely contemplating one again. Just was curious if there was anything else that has come out recently that would be better as a helmet lamp. My price range is cheap Chinese aka around $30.

Anyone tried out the Solarstorm X6

SolarStorm X6 Cree XM - L T6 3000LM 4 Modes LED Headlight Bicycle Lamp + 18650 Battery Pack-33.28 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    No but i hear this is pretty good

Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP - G2 1600lm LED Bike Light Mini Neutral White Mountain Bicycle Headlamp-64.15 and Free Shipping | GearBest.com Mobile
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

RAKC
    The x6 is not as good as the xt40 and really its just an xt40 with lower output and uses optics.

Bt40s is a GREAT light, but NOT on the helmet lol. Its a very wide coverage beam so throw is much less. It would work as a helmet light but I think coming off and xt40, OP would be disappointed based on what Cat has said about both lights over the course of the season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    20 rides is pretty much nothing. I was thinking of getting one with neutral white leds, but now I'm not so sure. I remember asking about the X6. I think ledoman did a review of it and it was no good. If they put a solid wall behind the leds these lights would be OK.

mtbr member
    I believe the X6 had a wider beam pattern due to the optics. This of course lowers the distance throw of the lamp.

If you want the distance throw you might as well just get another XT40. I'm not sure how many rides I have in on mine but twenty or so might be a good guess. Then again I only run high for the short downhills I see on the local trails. Anyway, I don't recall a lot of people having problems with the Solarstorm lamps BUT...just like any other Chinese made lamp sooner or later you might get one that either won't work or develop some sort of problem after you've had it awhile.

If the OP does chose to buy another it might not be a good idea to get from Gearbest. A lot of people right now are still waiting for their orders ( including me ) which are way over-due. Also keep in mind that this is the time of year when a lot of people in our neck of the woods are shopping for new bike lights.

On a side note, if you use Chinese lamps to ride at night it is always a good idea to use more than one at a time..*AND...to have a back-up in case one decides to die. With Chinese made bike lights it makes good sense to own something for back-up because you just never know. Besides, if one bellies-up you can still ride with a complete set of lamps while you wait for your replacement to arrive ( which might be months ). ( *Better to have a back-up and not need it than to need a back-up and not have it. )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

If the OP does chose to buy another it might not be a good idea to get from Gearbest. A lot of people right now are still waiting for their orders ( including me ) which are way over-due. Also keep in mind that this is the time of year when a lot of people in our neck of the woods are shopping for new bike lights.

On a side note, if you use Chinese lamps to ride at night it is always a good idea to use more than one at a time..*AND...to have a back-up in case one decides to die. With Chinese made bike lights it makes good sense to own something for back-up because you just never know. Besides, if one bellies-up you can still ride with a complete set of lamps while you wait for your replacement to arrive ( which might be months ). ( *Better to have a back-up and not need it than to need a back-up and not have it. )
    I probably am going to get another XT40 since I really liked the reach of it. Right now I got a Yinding clone that I will substitute for the XT40 for the helmet mount. My next night ride is Wednesday so we will see how it compares. Might have to go through gearbest again though as I don't see anyone else really selling the XT40. Dxsoul/Dealsextreme has it but with different specs. Really want to get something with the same color tint to match the BT70 on the bars. My old XT40 was a much cooler tint than the BT70.

As far as backup, I always carry an extra battery as well as my self contained commuter light for an emergency light. On our last night ride one guy's battery died mid descent and scared the crap out of him (he was only running one light). Luckily he was able to stop before hitting anything as we were on a single track descent in pretty tight trees.

mtbr member
    I probably am going to get another XT40 since I really liked the reach of it. Right now I got a Yinding clone that I will substitute for the XT40 for the helmet mount. My next night ride is Wednesday so we will see how it compares. Might have to go through gearbest again though as I don't see anyone else really selling the XT40. Dxsoul/Dealsextreme has it but with different specs. Really want to get something with the same color tint to match the BT70 on the bars. My old XT40 was a much cooler tint than the BT70.

As far as backup, I always carry an extra battery as well as my self contained commuter light for an emergency light. On our last night ride one guy's battery died mid descent and scared the crap out of him (he was only running one light). Luckily he was able to stop before hitting anything as we were on a single track descent in pretty tight trees.
    Yeah, Gearbest is the only place that sells the XT40 with the neutral XM-L2 emitters. ( that's where I got mine ). I had to wait 2 months to get it though. Whatever you do don't use the free shipping. It will take forever. I hope your BT70 holds up over time.

Your buddy got lucky. Ask him how much he would be willing to pay to prevent a broken arm, leg, collarbone...etc. In the long run $30-$45 for an extra lamp is just a drop in the bucket.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Gearbest is the only place that sells the XT40 with the neutral XM-L2 emitters. ( that's where I got mine ). I had to wait 2 months to get it though. Whatever you do don't use the free shipping. It will take forever. I hope your BT70 holds up over time.

Your buddy got lucky. Ask him how much he would be willing to pay to prevent a broken arm, leg, collarbone...etc. In the long run $30-$45 for an extra lamp is just a drop in the bucket.
    Dropping in on a new Xt40 today from gearbest. Fingers crossed on shipping time. I think everything else I have got from them has been 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I got a Yinding clone to carry me over.

It was my buddy's first night ride and luckily not his last. He immediately ordered a second light and some good batteries from MTB revolution. Cat is absolutely right - better safe than sorry!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dang, an XT40 AND a BT70? Serious lights on that set up. Love my XT40 for the helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Dang, an XT40 AND a BT70? Serious lights on that set up. Love my XT40 for the helmet.
    For the price I couldn't resist!

mtbr member
    I found the XT40 with neutral white LED's here for $26.49. $29.32 with shipping.

DealsMachine: Solarstorm XT40 4 x Cree XM L2 2800Lm 4 Modes Water Resistant 18650 LED Headlight - Neutral White

They also have a great price on the BT40 lighthead. $24.49 before shipping.

DealsMachine: Super Bright 1600 Lumens Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LED Bicycle Light

Anyone used dealsmachine.com before?

RAKC
    Its in one of the threads, couple people have used them so far, seem ok. As I've said, just dont expect too much, gearbest has a presence here at least and listens. Dunno beyond that.

mtbr member
    I found the XT40 with neutral white LED's here for $26.49. $29.32 with shipping.

DealsMachine: Solarstorm XT40 4 x Cree XM L2 2800Lm 4 Modes Water Resistant 18650 LED Headlight - Neutral White

They also have a great price on the BT40 lighthead. $24.49 before shipping.

DealsMachine: Super Bright 1600 Lumens Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP-G2 Neutral White LED Bicycle Light

Anyone used dealsmachine.com before?
    It's been mentioned before. Right now if I were buying something I might give them a try. The price for the XT40 "neutral XM-L2" is very good. They've got Nitefighters as well but no one is listing the BT70 right now.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd share my Dealsmachine experience with everyone since the topic has been brought up. First, the whole experience is so like Gearbest if there were no logo's anywhere you probably would not know which site you were on. That is until you get to the shipping charges. On the items I ordered (BT40s kit, BT70 light-head, GoPro mounts) the flat rate shipping was almost as much as the expedited shipping (what I went with). I ended up saving about 25% over Gearbest with better shipping but most items I checked were similar prices to Gearbest (with better shipping) in the end. My shipment took 8 days from order to delivery (DHL). Everything appears to be identical quality to Gearbest products (Nitefighter). Unfortunately I must have got one of the last BT70 lights they had since a day or two after I made my order they dropped it from their web page.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 10-20-2015 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on getting the XT40 for the helmet. Any recommendations what to use on the handlebar that compliments the XT40 well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Thought I'd share my Dealsmachine experience with everyone since the topic has been brought up. First, the whole experience is so like Gearbest if there were no logo's anywhere you probably would not know which site you were on. That is until you get to the shipping charges. On the items I ordered (BT40s kit, BT70 light-head, GoPro mounts) the flat rate shipping was almost as much as the expedited shipping (what I went with). I ended up saving about 25% over Gearbest with better shipping but most items I checked were similar prices to Gearbest (with better shipping) in the end. My shipment took 8 days from order to delivery (DHL). Everything appears to be identical quality to Gearbest products (Nitefighter). Unfortunately I must have got one of the last BT70 lights they had since a day or two after I made my order they dropped it from their web page.
    Mole
    You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dealmachine website was just another website operated by the same company that operates Gearbest. I've heard of that thing being done before so I know it goes on. It's kinda like a Chinese "fail safe" practice. One website loses reputation and the others take over. Then the other changes name and it all starts over again.

mtbr member
    You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the Dealmachine website was just another website operated by the same company that operates Gearbest. I've heard of that thing being done before so I know it goes on. It's kinda like a Chinese "fail safe" practice. One website loses reputation and the others take over. Then the other changes name and it all starts over again.
    The truth will come out in time but at this point I'd be more surprised if they're not the same company.

My thoughts on your BT70 order: You my be happier you never got your light. The one I got was the lower powered version that I've seen others posts about recently and I'm guessing what you would have received. While I agree with Tigress99 that it might be a better light with less power (still plenty bright, runs cooler, not such a huge drain on battery power) from reading your posts I think you were wanting a light with a turbo mode closer to Nitefighters claimed 2800 lumen output and a useable low setting. From my lux readings I'd estimate turbo is closer to 1800 and the dismal 7 lux low is only about half as bright a your BT21s low (which I know you don't like). I'm sure what ever Nitefighter makes as a replacement for the BT70 will be better.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I'm planning on getting the XT40 for the helmet. Any recommendations what to use on the handlebar that compliments the XT40 well?
    I'm running a BT70 but since that isn't available, the BT40 seems like it would be a great compliment to the XT40.

mtbr member
    I ordered a Bt40 and an XT40 tonight from Dealsmachine with expedited shipping for about $64. We will see how dealsmachine does.

mtbr member
    I ordered a Bt40 and an XT40 tonight from Dealsmachine with expedited shipping for about $64. We will see how dealsmachine does.
    Let us know how it works out. With special shipping hopefully you get it within a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That is a sweet set up if the tints match. It would be interesting to compare that set up to a BT21/BT40 set up. Love the XT40, but I can definitely feel it on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    That is a sweet set up if the tints match. It would be interesting to compare that set up to a BT21/BT40 set up. Love the XT40, but I can definitely feel it on the helmet.
    I'm not sure that you can say that any two different types of lamps that are using neutral LEDs are going to match exactly, however in the case of the Nightfighter BT40S and the Solarstorm XT40 with neutral LEDs the difference is very slight and the two lamps work together very well. I'll also add that this is my current go to set up at the moment.

mtbr member
    Let us know how it works out. With special shipping hopefully you get it within a couple weeks.
    I ordered a Bt40 and an XT40 from Deals Machine last Wednesday and paid the $14 extra for expedited shipping. Both showed up today. Great timing since I got a night ride planned for tonight!