My Magicshine battery quit working- Mtbr.com
    Its got what plants crave

My Magicshine battery quit working

It had a good run, it was purchased last December and was continuously stored in the trunk of my car where temps probably rise to 150 degrees on a regular basis. I don't consider it any fault of the Magicshine unless the problem was caused by water getting into the pack or something, and I think it's only been wet a few times. Anyway, I'll probably just use this as an excuse to buy the new Magicshine model, or maybe I'll wait a few months until the super duper new model comes out. I may buy a Diablo or something wireless as well, I just can't decide. I'm afraid I'll buy something and then the next big thing will come out and make me get the upgradeitis all over again.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    There's another super-duper MS light coming out? Oh, I was thinking of getting one soon. Hmmm...
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oh, and I like these and the Amoeba light I've seen on here. These home builders are doing a fantastic job; making lights that are super small, light, and very bright.

http://www.trailled.com/catalog/light-kits
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I may buy a Diablo or something wireless as well, I just can't decide..

Jim, if you want to go wireless and have the same amount of light as you're Magishine, forget spending $250 on a Diablo, this is where it's at!

Do a search here on MTE SF-15's, a bunch of people have them. I really like mine.

Dirt Deviant
    I have one of the SF-15's along with a couple other p7 flashlights that were a little more $$'s. And while the SF-15 is my fav out of all of them, I would not trade my either my MS900 or 1400 for it as a stand alone light.
    You don't get the same runtime, and I just find the flashlights to be too bulky on the bars/helmet.
    I picked up the DX flashlights to have so I could get buddies out on the trails.
    I grabbed a charger and 6 batteries while I was at it.
    As I said, they work good, but I love my 1400 on the bars and 900 on the helmet. Great combo.
    The SF-15 has really nice flood for a bar light though. Better than a ms900 on the bars. But the ms900 is brighter overall....imo.
    I bought all my stuff from geoman. He is great to work with.
    After my buddies got out with me,, and saw my combo in action, they started buying at least an ms900. The guys that haven't, plan on it.
    Once I cut em off from borrowing my flashlights that is....LOL
    I do get tired of charging all those 18650's and prepping everything for everyone to ride, so that day is coming soon.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Light freak
    Originally posted by Jim311
    It had a good run, it was purchased last December...
    Wow. I am just amazed at what some people consider a "good run"? I am still using all of my original Li-Ion packs that were purchased in '07. These get used on almost a daily basis, been thru some crazy rain storms, ridden at 7 degrees in the winter, and are stored in my car during the day. Must just be me. I have to admit that I am blown away from their performance.

I guess the old saying "You get what you pay for." sure rings true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Wow. I am just amazed at what some people consider a "good run"? I am still using all of my original Li-Ion packs that were purchased in '07. These get used on almost a daily basis, been thru some crazy rain storms, ridden at 7 degrees in the winter, and are stored in my car during the day. Must just be me. I have to admit that I am blown away from their performance.

I guess the old saying "You get what you pay for." sure rings true.

That is assuming that there was no user influence on the battery pack, which the OP stated is not true. Maybe his car gets hotter when left in the baking sun. Maybe water got into the pack a few times (the original packs aren't sealed against this), which the OP stated. I appreciate the time and energy that you put into your product, but faulting other companies with no knowledge of the particular reason for the failure doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure you'd think it was unfair if the roles were reversed.

Chris

Light freak

Oops.....

Guess I wasn't very clear at all with my post. Let me restate that -

"I guess I am getting what I paid for" There hope that will work for you.

I love how you immediatley get defensive because I state that I have gotten much better longevity out the batteries I am using. No where in my post did I mention or "fault" MagicShine. I guess you could get that out of me saying "You get what you pay for". It is a well known fact that the MagicShine is cheaper that my light.

Sorry if I offended you with my post but I am quite sure this is not the first thread about "My MagicShine battery just died".

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Store your Amoeba battery in a trunk at 150* for 9 months.....

I'm sure you'll have lifespan issues as well.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Light freak

Amass the troops!!

Please read my first post. I do store my batteries in my car (in the trunk) and have done so since '07. No lifespan issues yet.

Guys, no need to be so defensive. Just saying that you should expect a longer lifespan than OP stated as a "good run".

Well, considering I can buy a new pack for like 30 bucks, I'm not exactly crying about it. It isn't just the Magicshine packs I've killed quicker than one might think. I killed a Niterider NMH, a lithium pack from Batteryspace, and now this one. Heat is tough on batteries, and they definitely say that you shouldn't store them in hot conditions, but for me that's just not a reality. They sit in my car between uses, and at the very least they'd have to sit in the hot car all day for my after work rides. You'll have a hard time convincing me that another more expensive or higher end brand will last longer. I don't see how them costing more means that they're less prone to damage from heat. Also, I have a backup pack at home, so it's not like I'm without a light.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Jim, if you want to go wireless and have the same amount of light as you're Magishine, forget spending $250 on a Diablo, this is where it's at!

Do a search here on MTE SF-15's, a bunch of people have them. I really like mine.

One of the things I really like about the Diablo (or it's newer 2011 incarnation) is that I have heard they have some of the best most convenient mounts in the biz. I love the whole wireless low weight thing, and coupled with the MS on the bars, run time wouldn't be as much of an issue to me. I rarely ever night ride for more than 2 hours anyhow. I am running a small 160 lumen Duracell light on the bars as a backup as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think it is more about the disparaging of MS that they are reactiong too.
    You have a good product and don't need to throw stones at the MS lights or their battery packs.
    Anyone denigrating your light would get responses. I personally have defended your lights quality and durability.
    MS will have its defenders and people will respond to negative remarks.
    I think a "my bad" and out would have been best.
    Your trunk in higher altitudes in Colorado is alot different than heat and humidity of Florida.
    Only way your trunk would get that hot is if you left your trunk light running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    I think it is more about the disparaging of MS that they are reactiong too.
    You have a good product and don't need to throw stones at the MS lights or their battery packs.
    Anyone denigrating your light would get responses. I personally have defended your lights quality and durability.
    MS will have its defenders and people will respond to negative remarks.
    I think a "my bad" and out would have been best.
    Your trunk in higher altitudes in Colorado is alot different than heat and humidity of Florida.
    Only way your trunk would get that hot is if you left your trunk light running.
    Thank you. I couldn't have put it better myself. I think Scar has one of the best homebrew lights on the board and I it would be on a short list if I were going for that type of light. I also have no particular allegiance to magicshine although I do own one. I just don't like unfounded (in this particular thread) degradation of anther company, especially since many who are new to night riding use this forum to find the best light for themselves.

Let the quality light that you sell speak for itself. It really is a work of art and seems to be an excellent light from what people say.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One of the things I really like about the Diablo (or it's newer 2011 incarnation) is that I have heard they have some of the best most convenient mounts in the biz..
    Not that I'm trying to sell ya on anything, but here's the mount I just got and really like for my MTE torch.
    It holds the light solid (NO bouncing) and pretty easy to put on & take off.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15342

I actually have that mount and it doesn't seem that secure to me. I can't tighten down the base enough to where the top and bottom pieces are clamped together tightly enough. It works for my backup light, which is rarely ever used anyway though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I actually have that mount and it doesn't seem that secure to me. I can't tighten down the base enough to where the top and bottom pieces are clamped together tightly enough.
    Really? You doing it right?
    Seriously, mine is solid, and I ride some pretty rooty stuff. I have OS bars, not sure if that is why.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Mine too

I bought mine about 6 months ago to commute during summer. I work early in the am. I tried to charge it over night before work. I plugged it in and nothing. Riding to work with 60 lumens is dangerous. I have to get this thing working. I guess my best choice is to source some medical surplus batteries, like the old days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Really? You doing it right?
    Seriously, mine is solid, and I ride some pretty rooty stuff. I have OS bars, not sure if that is why.
    I think Jim311's issue is the same as the one I'm having. I have two of these mounts and the problem I have with both of them is that I cannot screw the two clamping parts together tight enough.

The bar-clamp mounts solidly enough to the bars and the other clamp holds the lamp OK, but the connection between the two clamps slop around even if I tighten the connecting screw to the point that I fear it will strip the threading and tear loose.
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 09-21-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar.jensen
    I think Jim311's issue is the same as the one I'm having. I have two of these mounts and the problem I have with both of them is that I cannot screw the two clamping parts together tight enough.

The bar-clamp mounts solidly enough to the bars and the other clamp holds the lamp OK, but the connection between the two clamps slop around even if I tighten the connecting screw to the point that I fear it will strip the threading and tear loose.

That is exactly the same problem I have with mine. I may remedy it just by gluing the two pieces together. Sure it's permanent, but I don't really see any use for it to swivel in the first place.

mtbr member
    As a matter of fact, I have found a solution that works for me.
    There is a small slot in the top surface of the bar-clamp and a heel on the bottom of the light clamp. The heel is supposed to go into the slot when the two clamps are screwed together.
    I have covered the slot with a small piece of self-adhesive velcro (the hook side):

When the top part is screwed down again, the heel provides enough resistance against the velcro to stop any sloppiness.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

Members who have read this thread: 0