Is my Gloworm charger OVER charging or my battery failling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Is my Gloworm charger OVER charging or my battery failling

Hi I got an AMP/VOLTAGE meter for checking lights discharge and current draw. The tester has been checked with several industrial one, so I know it is reading correctly., I have two charger which appear to over charge, but I can be totally wrong, I would need some advice. Got a Gloworm X2 with a percent charge light build in the battery pack. I decided to check the termination voltage on this 4 cell pack. Got worried when the battery was only showing 80% charge and the olt meter wa showing 8.53 volt. On that i switch off the charger, after a minute the GW battery pack voltage dropped t 8.28v, 2 hours later showing 8.21v, then I switched the charger back on, showing a charging of 8.47v and still an 80% battery charge. I tried another charger from Bikeray, similar behaviour, showing in excess of 8.40 which I assume would be charging termination voltage, the sensor light on both battery charger were showing a non charge battery when the voltage had gone over the 8.4v. Anybody who does understand more about chargers and batteries capacity would be kind enough to advice if this is OK or if something is wrong. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Your battery should read 8.4V when fully charged. The charger voltage will be a little higher than 8.4V because if it wasn't then there would be no charge current. The fact that your battery showed 8.28V after disconnecting from the charger shows that it is still not fully charged.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Nothing wrong with that AT ALL. Charger will show a little over, pack will stop charging (protection system) when pack is charged. Every good charger I have reads slightly high during charging.

Also even when a pack reads about 8.4v (cells can safely go slightly higher) it's still not fully charged. It will still charge more capacity while at 8.4v. I have a RC smart charger and can watch all the data.

So nothing to worry about just charge the pack till it stops charging.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks guys, you put my mind at rest :-)