My favourite lights of 2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My favourite lights of 2015

I've been lucky enough to review 12 lights this year, with 3 already stacked up for next year. I thought I'll take a moment to write about my favourites lights of 2015

Bike light of the year 2015 ? The Brighter Cyclist

what's your fave light of 2015?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would have to say for 2015/16 my favorite light is the Lupine Wilma. If this light and features were available two years ago I wouldn't have purchased my Betty-R's. These are proven potent lighting systems that by Lupine standards are good value.

Also I have to mention the new 2015/16 Gemini products as their giving IMHO the best value and features in a brand name this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Two years is long time in led light world. What new features are you so excited about? Does your Betty put out more lumens than the 2016 wilma?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not so much about the features as their similar to mine,, but I do like the ease of how to program the new Wilma, and it is a lighter version of my Betty-R's with wireless remote which was only available on the Betty-R back when I purchased mine. Having both lamp heads controlled by one wireless remote was a feature I really wanted. If I was in the market now I would go with the Wilma's and get all the features of the Betty-R but at half the cost.

I have the first gen Betty so just slightly more lumens at 3600 over the Wilma at 3200.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    I've been lucky enough to review 12 lights this year, with 3 already stacked up for next year. I thought I'll take a moment to write about my favourites lights of 2015
    Your review of the MJ-858 says that it pumps out 1000 lumens. You really shouldn't report fake Chinese lumens as if they were real.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Your review of the MJ-858 says that it pumps out 1000 lumens. You really shouldn't report fake Chinese lumens as if they were real.
    It's a catch 22, I've got no means to test the output to prove or disprove outputs and comparing to other lights isn't really scientific. But guaging it its close

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    It's a catch 22, I've got no means to test the output to prove or disprove outputs and comparing to other lights isn't really scientific. But guaging it its close
    It's okay. You just forgot to type in the words, " the manufacturer claims". Mistakes happen. Thankfully you didn't say 1600 lumen which of course would of been cause for pause.

I'm sure that little MS lamp is bright. Maybe not 1000 lumen but likely as bright as other single XM-L2 bike lights....give or take 100-200 lumen. ( *ActionLED lists the actual output as "700-800 lumen". That sounds about what I would expect from a lamp like the MJ-858. That said, the UI for the 858 leaves much to be desired.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Actually even MS's USA website says actual output is about 800 lumens.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I've changed it to say claimed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAKC
    Well my favorites go:

Bt21
    Yinding
    Wiz20
    And my bc30r was going to make this list till it randomly wouldn't turn on last night. Popped the top can't find and reason why.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Well my favorites go:

Bt21
    Yinding
    Wiz20
    Agree 100%! Only 2 on my list. My BT21 and my other BT21. I have better lights, I have more expensive lights (mostly more expensive but not better). Don't know exactly what it is about this light but out of my box full of lights (17) these are the ones I take with me 80% of the time.
    Mole

mtbr member
    The BT21 has to be one of the hottest lights of 2015, even stacking it up against the "name-brands". (Note I'm claiming "hottest" not "best", not "brightest", etc . . .). Personally yes, I love my BT21 (don't know that I want to even try my XP-L Yinding as I'm so satisfied). Loving my BT40S on the bars too (though mine is heavily modded).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

RAKC
    Ya my bt40 would be number 5. those are lights out of the box that i really like. I made some cool ones via modding but I don't count those

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Ok, the Nitefighter lights are getting high praise here, but everyone says don't get lights from China. I'm confused. Is Nightfighter the exception?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I though so, but recent reports show that it ended up not having a good connector (pops out), power switch problems, and the dealers that sell them are unreliable.

If they get the switch and cable fixed, and then get them on Amazon, then I would welcome it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    but everyone says don't get lights from China.
    Really?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    Ok, the Nitefighter lights are getting high praise here, but everyone says don't get lights from China. I'm confused. Is Nightfighter the exception?
    Should read "Don't buy random lights from China from random shops/sellers unless you wish to be taking a big risk." The general consensus is to buy lights which have been reviewed as acceptable by others by shops deemed reasonably trustworthy by others, and still understand you are taking a risk; it's just less of a risk. Oh, and that it's best to get in on the first batch before they make changes.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Ahhhh, thanks Garry!

RAKC
    And stay off eBay, away from china sellers. If we have or are discussing a light, its decent or good. Thread for the light will explain. Nitefighter and yinding have been the best of the cheap lights by far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    On the bars I have a NR Pro Race 1400 and a MagicShine MJ-906. On the helmet is a Gemini DUO 2016.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very nice video review here but since my night rides are generally under 2.5hrs my personal preference is units with no cables and less fuss.

My favorite combo for 2016 is UK BASED Exposure MAXXD (handlebar) and Exposure Diablo (helmet). I bought a pile of lights and tried them all and in the end this is my favorite set-up, oh my rear light is Lezyne Strip Drive Pro (Rear) set to airplane wing flash.

I am more minimalist, no gears or suspension, so my taste in setup isn't the norm

ps I always throw a LNM 850 into my back pocket as back-up in case everything goes wrong.

RAKC
    I have no idea how you can ride with that much weight bouncing around on top of you head extended from your helmet.

Exposure has nice looking lights but that's where it ends. You just get so little for the ridiculously high price. Look like good bar lights but as a helmet light no was in he!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    exposure - yes very expensive but worth it if you ask me.

RAKC
    Their deilfinately nice lights for sure, and self contained units are handy. I have a couple, only good one so far is my Ituo wiz20.

Just IMO if someone is going to pay $600-1000 for a set of lights, it better be the latest and greatest tech with the ultimate work being put into all design aspect's. Not a glorified flashlight or adding a Bluetooth controller to old designs lol. Yes I pick on Lupine too. Though ppl still buy grossly outdated nightrider's and cygolight's and pay the premium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My faves are the BT21 BT40 Gloworm x2. Think the x2 will overtake the Nitefighters as soon as I can operate the damn thing correctly. But I digress, certain Chinese lights are actually superior to the big names that hold no allure to me since the procurement of the BT21/40. Ituo seems like a player for sure. Revtronic.....go make yr flashlights! But I'll buy a few 21 head units 1st!

I win.
    There's a lot of buzz around the Bt21 but where can I actually buy one? It seems that they're out of stock on Gearbest. Any links would be appreciated!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

RAKC
    Their not available at the moment. We're working on a possible "last chance group buy".

But if you need a good light soonr, action led has the x2 referb for $60. Hellva deal as their practically new and have full warranty.

I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Their not available at the moment. We're working on a possible "last chance group buy".

But if you need a good light soonr, action led has the x2 referb for $60. Hellva deal as their practically new and have full warranty.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it looks like the refurbs are all sold out. I'll keep an eye out for the group buy though.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

RAKC
    Well can get the 2015 with all the mounts for not much more than the refurbs.

mtbr member
    Considering all the talk about short remote wires since the refirbs became available ordering a 2015 left-over should guarantee you get the longer wire upgrade (I would ask to be sure). Short remote wires were a common complaint when the X2V3 and XS models first came out and were upgraded not long after introduction.
    Mole