My 18650 battery died- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,979

    My 18650 battery died

    Can someone help me source a new battery for my Nestling el cheapie light? Amazon has lots of options but I don't want to buy another battery that dies in a few months. An increase in burn time is welcome. Although I don't need anything crazy the battery that died was plenty of burn time. All apologies if this is a redundant post or I'm missing something obvious. I'm not very technically inclined when it comes to electronics. Thanks










    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Get a new battery pack from kaidomain. Amazing packs for a good price. I got the 4cell 6800mAh version and couldn't be happier. Not worth the risk to run the cheap Chinese packs, that only run for an hour if lucky.

  3. #3
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,508
    spend the coin on a 4x18650 box

    you put your own 18650's into

    I just tossed out 4 mystery packs
    (suspect) cheap chinese 8 volters and run all my lights
    off my one pannovo 4x18650 2s2p and my own panasonic 18650's

  4. #4
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by caRpetbomBer View Post
    Get a new battery pack from kaidomain. Amazing packs for a good price. I got the 4cell 6800mAh version and couldn't be happier. Not worth the risk to run the cheap Chinese packs, that only run for an hour if lucky.
    and may catch fire at any random moment, so they need to be stored in a metal can inside a ceramic flowerpot under a 123abc fire extinguisher

  5. #5
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Problem is he has that solarstorm connectors that fit nothing but certain cheap packs. Other packs kind of work but the connector can come loose during rough riding.

    IMO just buy a better light that's compatible with many different packs as a lot of companies use the standard snap together connectors. Only those lights use that threaded thing.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Viva Borracho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    123
    What about a Hunk Lee Battery. He can put on the correct connector.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    spend the coin on a 4x18650 box

    you put your own 18650's into

    I just tossed out 4 mystery packs
    (suspect) cheap chinese 8 volters and run all my lights
    off my one pannovo 4x18650 2s2p and my own panasonic 18650's
    Not recommended for someone that's not going to properly care for bare li-ion cells and fully understands the safety concerns using them. Stick to a proper pack with good protection circuit. I second seller Hunk_Lee on Ebay with appropriate connector. The Samsung 5,200mAh pack should be a good pack at reasonable price.

    -Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    and may catch fire at any random moment, so they need to be stored in a metal can inside a ceramic flowerpot under a 123abc fire extinguisher
    Not gonna happen with the KD Panasonic cell packs - read the review thread. These are built right (so long as they don't change from the reviewed sample). Issue I'd like tigris99 said, wrong connector.

    -Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supersedona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    689
    The only issue I've had with the ebay cheap lipo sets is they don't take well to freezing. Other than that I have used my '12ah' pack for 3+ hrs on high and 9+ hrs on low with the 5LED chinese light. For whatever reason the X2 that I have(just like the pic) is a lot more power hungry than the 5Led even though its a lot smaller. Efficiency? They are both super cheap models but I used to work overnights outdoors with them on head straps with no complaints.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

  10. #10
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    It's not efficiency, the 5 LED light maybe puts out as much lumens as the x2. Probably less. The efficiency is probably the same between the 2. Just the current being used is different.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    ride for fun
    Reputation: nick d's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    spend the coin on a 4x18650 box

    you put your own 18650's into

    I just tossed out 4 mystery packs
    (suspect) cheap chinese 8 volters and run all my lights
    off my one pannovo 4x18650 2s2p and my own panasonic 18650's
    do you have a link to the pack? the link i clicked took me to a headlamp on amazon.

    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

  12. #12
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,979
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    do you have a link to the pack? the link i clicked took me to a headlamp on amazon.

    thanks
    I got one of these:

    Amazon.com : Hanperal 4 X 18650 Water Resistant Battery Pack Case House Cover for Bike Bicycle Lamp : Everything Else

    The problem is finding good quality 18650 batteries that are not fakes on Amazon.

    I got 4 of these:

    http://www.amazon.com/SOLARAY-Rechar...ilpage_o00_s00

    I don't like the idea of using a Chinese site for battery purchases. Because of CC security and the long shipping times.

  13. #13
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    If the brand is Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, or BAK, the cells are going to be cheap Chinese crap. Don't buy cells that don't use name brand cells and it's easy enough. If their stupid cheap, their cheap and fake junk cells.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckleberry hound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    If the brand is Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, or BAK, the cells are going to be cheap Chinese crap. Don't buy cells that don't use name brand cells and it's easy enough. If their stupid cheap, their cheap and fake junk cells.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    I thought that Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, or BAK were the cells that you should buy and to avoid brands like Ultrafire, or any of the other .....Fire brands.

  15. #15
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Sorry my autocorrect screwed that up lol. Supposed to say " if the brand ISN'T".

    For protected cells, pretty much limited to keeppower and EVVA to know for sure what your getting. There is flashlight branded (nitecore, olight, ituo. etc) that are good too and use branded cells.

    Odd brands on Amazon I don't trust whether loose cells protected or not and the cheap battery packs. They may work but performance 98% of the time is total crap.

    Being a light geek I have tried getting branded protected cells direct from China (slightly cheaper usually) and though the cell was real, the protection circuit worked, but the performance was poor because protection circuits have low current ratings compared to what I use/need. So anymore I just stick with EVVA cells. Price is comparable to keeppower (slightly more in some cases due to shipping charge) but have the best performing protection circuit.


    Final piece of info. The case he linked is the solarstorm case there is a good size thread on. It works for lights with that threaded connector only without mods and the protection circuit that is in that case is a joke. Don't rely on it AT ALL. Lot of problems with cells coming out of balance and protection isn't set properly to actually function correctly so you end up destroying cells and risk leakage or even a fire by trying to recharge over discharged cells.

    Best with that case just to use protected cells with it at the very least. A seperate charger isn't a bad idea either.
    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,979
    OK well that is why I started the thread was to not buy a bunch of crap. Dang.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    674
    Well, ya did something right by ordering through Amazon. Returns are "painless". Tigress makes a great point about protection circuits being junk on some overseas 18650s. I have some 3400 Panasonic protected that are way underperforming. I won't use them in my Ituo Wiz20. Mtn electronics is getting my battery business now.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Tigris, a friend of mine is an elite adventure racer looking for a legit 3600maH source, preferably protected with good power transmission. Any thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Sorry my autocorrect screwed that up lol. Supposed to say " if the brand ISN'T".

    For protected cells, pretty much limited to keeppower and EVVA to know for sure what your getting. There is flashlight branded (nitecore, olight, ituo. etc) that are good too and use branded cells.

    Odd brands on Amazon I don't trust whether loose cells protected or not and the cheap battery packs. They may work but performance 98% of the time is total crap.

    Being a light geek I have tried getting branded protected cells direct from China (slightly cheaper usually) and though the cell was real, the protection circuit worked, but the performance was poor because protection circuits have low current ratings compared to what I use/need. So anymore I just stick with EVVA cells. Price is comparable to keeppower (slightly more in some cases due to shipping charge) but have the best performing protection circuit.


    Final piece of info. The case he linked is the solarstorm case there is a good size thread on. It works for lights with that threaded connector only without mods and the protection circuit that is in that case is a joke. Don't rely on it AT ALL. Lot of problems with cells coming out of balance and protection isn't set properly to actually function correctly so you end up destroying cells and risk leakage or even a fire by trying to recharge over discharged cells.

    Best with that case just to use protected cells with it at the very least. A seperate charger isn't a bad idea either.
    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    They dont make 3600mah 18650 cells. Well not publicly available that I have seen or heard of yet.

    Best way to get legit cells:
    Www.Mtnelectronics.com

    You get the real things for everything from Richard over there. Only place I buy my cells, emitters and other stuff as needed. It's best if ppl learn to unplug from Amazon as there is plenty of counterfeit junk being sold on there.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    They dont make 3600mah 18650 cells. Well not publicly available that I have seen or heard of yet.

    Best way to get legit cells:
    Mountain Electronics

    You get the real things for everything from Richard over there. Only place I buy my cells, emitters and other stuff as needed. It's best if ppl learn to unplug from Amazon as there is plenty of counterfeit junk being sold on there.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    wrong about no 3600's

    3600 mah 18650 panasonic NCR have been out for over a year

    olight makes protected versions 3600 mah which is what I use,
    I have 8 of them and rotate them

    along with eagtac 3400 mah protecteds, I have 6 of these and also rotate them

    and.... battery junction is another awesome source for quality cells
    Batteries, Chargers, LED Flashlights, and More!

    the only problem (if you can call it a problem, which is what it is, if your driver
    doesn't operate in a way to get the most out of anything above 3100mah)

    -typically drivers are programmed to detect specific volt drop to determine capacity left

    -mid range mah lithiums (2800-2200 mah) are great for dropping to a certain volt and handing steady for a long time, then dropping down at the end. many light drivers and chips operate on 4x18650 2100-2400 mah cells and work great.

    high cap like 3600, 3400, and 3100 mah are known to drop lower than these lesser
    capacity batteries, but hang longer. (you do get about 3490 mah from a 3600) if you have a driver geared toward the voltage drop of a 4x2400 pack, but run 4x3600 on it, you may see battery indicators provide false low battery level early, but stay on this for hours.

    so, don't assume a 3600mah is gonna be 100% perfect in all regards, they usually are fine, just expect early and false low battery levels on some lights

    actual usable capacity of 3600mah has been tested to be nominally 3490, yeah it sucks but still better than you can get with anything else

    most chinese light packs are 4x2400mah, but for good reasons 1) cheap 2) mid life volts stay steady
    whereas 4x3400 drops on a steeper curve, but runs longer

    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    my recommendation is this:

    if you want to use your own 18650's,

    find out the best chargers and best 18650's by scouring candlepowerforums for all your research, as these guys test and retest and compare all things you can possibly know about real-world use of 18650's for lighting devices. then scour battery university.com...

    only then, make your purchasing decisions.

    also

    get a big ceramic flowerpot, or galvanized steel bucket, or combination
    of this and that is where you keep your [insert someone elses built pack]

    for individual and well known and respected branded cells, you are usually fine,
    but for -cheap generic cell packs specifically-, store them in a place where if it decides to flame out, it can do so without setting fire to your house

  21. #21
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Actually not wrong:

    Olight 3600mah Panasonic cells are ACTUALLY Panasonic NCR18650GA.

    3500mah rated cells.

    I have some and use them in my 2cell Fenix cases for helmet use.

    They are the best cells I know of for capacity/performance at the moment.

    Battery junction does have some good cells but gotta watch it because they sell cheap crap ones too. I'm just "biased" to Mtnelectronics.com. owner is a fellow light geek and awesome guy.

    Not sure why we need someone special to store packs. I just throw them on my table or in the case with the lights. My loose cells go in a tin (inside plastic 2 cell plastic holders) As long as you don't use cheap Chinese junk packs(use only packs with known quality and use brand name cells) and the chargers that detonate battery packs there is no reason to be afraid of them. Only the cheap Chinese junk is still dangerous even on a good day. Quality stuff is perfectly fine as long as common sense is used.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Actually not wrong:

    Olight 3600mah Panasonic cells are ACTUALLY Panasonic NCR18650GA.

    3500mah rated cells.

    I have some and use them in my 2cell Fenix cases for helmet use.

    They are the best cells I know of for capacity/performance at the moment.

    Battery junction does have some good cells but gotta watch it because they sell cheap crap ones too. I'm just "biased" to Mtnelectronics.com. owner is a fellow light geek and awesome guy.

    Not sure why we need someone special to store packs. I just throw them on my table or in the case with the lights. My loose cells go in a tin (inside plastic 2 cell plastic holders) As long as you don't use cheap Chinese junk packs(use only packs with known quality and use brand name cells) and the chargers that detonate battery packs there is no reason to be afraid of them. Only the cheap Chinese junk is still dangerous even on a good day. Quality stuff is perfectly fine as long as common sense is used.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    for special storage...
    any lithium 4.2 can be a little waiting firebomb whereas nicd or alkaline don't have that issue

    drop any 18650 lithium, did it hurt it or not ?

    I'd rather be safer and store all my crap in a metal pail on a ceramic base
    just in case. never had an issue in 10 years, but I feel better knowing if
    one of them wants to start trouble it won't set fire to anything else

    just me being extra paranoid

    ok thanks on the olight 3600 being actually 3500 and that explains why they test at 3490. all 8 seem to charge the same, discharge the same, and maintain voltage when stored at the same rate all within .02 volts of each other.

  23. #23
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Ya I was looking at the olight cells too, but being on BLF alot I checked the review and saw what cells are used and realized they are a little over rated.

    Just for info, as long as batteries aren't just left on a charger, charged in a fire safe location and not cheap crap used not an issue anymore. I've purposely shorted Panasonic, Sanyo ,and BAK cells just to see what would happen . they got hot and then started leaking the toxic gel. Leaving them in a hot place (car etc) will cause leakage too. But couldn't blow them up.

    Yes I did that test in my RC days when lipos first became big. Those were rather interesting to watch go off lol. We did it for videos to show why you had to treat lipos like explosives.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5
    I was wondering why Li-po batteries are not popular in the biking world. I use Li-po batteries in my Gloworm XS, the same that I use im my electric model airplanes and they work great. All you need to do is choose a connector you like. I use XT60. You can get charger for $50 and 8000mah batteries for as low as $20. Check hobbyking.com. RC Li-po will also allow you to check voltage of every cell separately so you see if it safe to use or charge. RC chargers also balance batteries every time you charge.Lithium batteries ignite when difference in voltage between cells is too large.

  25. #25
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Because their more dangerous than Li-Ion. Water resistance is lacking as well. Li-Ion cells are extremely common, inexpensive, safer and less finicky. Takes a lot more to cause one to go fully critical and quality, branded cells won't catch fire in most cases. LiPo don't take much to set off in comparison. Oh and yhe cost of a proper charger versus a basic DC wall charger.

    Alot of DIY guys use them, I have a charger but being I have a ton of 18650 packs, no point in buying hardcased lipo packs, waterproofing them and praying I don't forget one in the car on a hot day.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5
    I was trying to point out that batteries used in RC modeling are safer because you can measure voltage. If the voltage is in the normal range they will not ignite. I stick tiny battery tester to my batteries that actually dispalys voltage of every cell and beeps when it falls below set treshhold. Li-Ion and Li-Ion polymer (Li-po) are essentialy the same so it does not matter which one you leave in a hot car, they both can catch fire. Most li-po are not hardcased and waterproofing is not an issue for me, they don't soak in water. You would have to submerge them to do any damage. Just my opinion

  27. #27
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Oh I know lipos well, been around RC for most of my life (sadly) was big into before I found mountain biking again.

    For RCers lipos feel like second nature, no big deal. For cyclist, it's a completely different type of person mostly. LiPo is too high of risk for most to use. I was playing the part of the way companies have to look at it. Brand name Li-Ion are far safer than any lipo. RC ppl know the risks, plenty of cyclists that have enough trouble with the simple lion systems, lipo they would be burning everything down.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Bad idea? 6 or 8 x 18650 Battery pack?
    By Resnick in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 01:06 AM
  2. L&M Arc NiMH Battery Finally Died, DIY Li Replacement?
    By CsHoSi in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  3. how to test a 4x 18650 battery pack?
    By Gabe3 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
  4. 18650 Battery Holder Question
    By pucked up in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM
  5. TriNewt battery died, what should I do...
    By Tfrost in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.