My $7.50 Helmet Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My $7.50 Helmet Light

I was at Costco one day, and I saw they had a package of two flashlights for $19.99 that each had a single CREE LED claiming to put out 160 Lumens. They looked good, but I passed. I got a sale flyer a few weeks ago, and there were the flashlights, two for $14.99. I decided to bite.

Holy. Crap. These things are nice. Solid CNC machined aluminum. They take 3 AAA batteries(included) and the claimed runtime is four hours. I took one and using a 2.5" wide Velcro strap, strapped it to my Bell helmet. Perfect! It doesn't rattle, it doesn't slip and it aims perfectly. $7.50+ $1.50 for the Velcro = $9.00 helmet light.

These things are bright! They have a "low" and "high" beam, but there is not a lot of difference between the modes. The have a focus, but it is not a wide range of focus, either. Remember, $7.50.

I have a Zefal multi-LED light that looks very similar, but there is no comparison in light output. I also have a Performance multi-LED front light. The $7.50 flashlights blow them away.

I hate paying $100+ clams for a bike light. I thought these might slip into the handlebar mount for the Zefal, but they are just slightly too big in diameter. But as a helmet light, they are awesome. They claim to be water resistant to 1 meter, which should handle any serious rain.

The downsides: you might want to buy some rechargeable NiMH AAA's and a charger. Also, they feel a little heavy in your hand, but they do seem really durable. They do have a strobe mode, but it is way to fast to be usable as a warning front light in that mode. They would drive you crazy in no time. Probably cool for Halloween effects, though.

I can't find a link to them on the Costco website, but in Googling around I did find a lot of reviews of them. I also found that some people apparently have flashlights as a hobby! Very strange. Some people apparently have no problem dropping several hundred bucks on a flashlight. I guess it falls in the same category as people who will spend $600 on a bike light. To each his own.

How do I do that?
    I saw that set for $14.99 at my local Costco yesterday but passed I was unsure they were any good. Maybe I'll pick them up as regular flashlights or something, I could always use an emergency light to keep in the hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I thought these might slip into the handlebar mount for the Zefal, but they are just slightly too big in diameter.
    Order a couple of these mounts. They are really handy, can use them to mount lights on your bars, helmet, whatever you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0