MS battery interconnectability with Cygolite?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749

    MS battery interconnectability with Cygolite?

    Question about battery inter-connectability.....I've got a few Gloworm batteries that have a Magicshine compatible connection, i.e. they work with MS, Gloworm, etc. Can I use them with a Cygolite Tridenx? Is there an adaptor that I can use to mate one of these batteries to a Cygolite?

    Cygolite uses a 7.6V Li-ion battery: 7.6V Li-ion battery for TridenX Li-ion Xtra, Trion Systems - Cygolite Online Spare Parts

    Gloworm uses a 7.4V Li-ion battery: Gloworm Performance Products - Gloworm Li-Ion Battery

    Seems like I could use the Gloworm battery with a cygolite, since the Voltage rating is pretty close. I just need an adaptor to fit.

    Thoughts? Help? Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    829
    Do you need to keep the ability to connect the MS/GW lights, too? If not, you can just cut existing connector and solder Cygolite-compatible one. Can't identify the exact type from picture, but it looks like standard 5.5/2.1mm to me: 5.5/2.1mm connector | eBay

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,076
    I tried to find a picture of a Cygolite 4-cell battery and couldn't find one. I did find a picture of a 2-cell and it looks like a standard MS type connector ( as far as I could tell ). More than likely it's the same type for both Cygolite 4 and 2-cell batteries.

    If the regular battery you have is about gone like Archie said you can use the old connector on the old battery and make yourself an adapter. To do that you will need to purchase a MS type extension cord ( ~ $3 ) and then cut off the male end. Solder the male MS and female ( Cygolite ) ends together and you have an adapter. Then again like I said before if the two different connectors are compatible no adapter will be needed.

    I figure it's worth trying because the MS type batteries are going to be cheaper than the Cygolite batteries and if you buy from the right vendor you will know you are getting the best battery.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I tried to find a picture of a Cygolite 4-cell battery and couldn't find one. I did find a picture of a 2-cell and it looks like a standard MS type connector ( as far as I could tell ). More than likely it's the same type for both Cygolite 4 and 2-cell batteries.

    If the regular battery you have is about gone like Archie said you can use the old connector on the old battery and make yourself an adapter. To do that you will need to purchase a MS type extension cord ( ~ $3 ) and then cut off the male end. Solder the male MS and female ( Cygolite ) ends together and you have an adapter. Then again like I said before if the two different connectors are compatible no adapter will be needed.

    I figure it's worth trying because the MS type batteries are going to be cheaper than the Cygolite batteries and if you buy from the right vendor you will know you are getting the best battery.
    If you check the links in the OP, and zoom in on the photos, the Cygolite Tridenx battery has a male connecter that plugs directly into the Tridenx lamp unit, whereas the Magicshine battery, similar to the Gloworm battery linked in the OP, has a female connector that connects to the male connector that leads out of the MS light head. So possibly I could track down a female-to-male plug adaptor to enable the MS/Gloworm battery for use with the cygolite.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    7.6 V?
    I don't believe, 2.8 V is only valid for a couple of cells (4.3 - 4.35 V, Samsung ICR).
    Even when, you should take evrey 7.2/7.4 pack, depending on the colour of your preferred glasses

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    If you check the links in the OP, and zoom in on the photos, the Cygolite Tridenx battery has a male connecter that plugs directly into the Tridenx lamp unit, whereas the Magicshine battery, similar to the Gloworm battery linked in the OP, has a female connector that connects to the male connector that leads out of the MS light head. So possibly I could track down a female-to-male plug adaptor to enable the MS/Gloworm battery for use with the cygolite.
    Ah!...didn't catch that. I see what you mean. Well, this does create some problems. This means you would have to either use the original male plug to make an adapter or find a place that sells the angled male plug to make an adapter. More than the likely the outer body of the angled plug is sized to fit into the side of the lamp so another type ( typical straight type ) might not work. Anyway, it's still doable.

    This might work but the original looks a little longer. You might have to whittle off some of the rubber to make it work. I figure for the money it's worth a try.

    Just the other day I found out that Radio Shack ( the company ) has gone out of business. It used to be I could just mosey on down to RS and root around to see what they had available. Now Radio Shack is gone. Super bummer. I have no idea now where I'll be able to go to actually look at something ( electronic parts and tools ) and hold them in my hands.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Just the other day I found out that Radio Shack ( the company ) has gone out of business.
    Really? That's bad. I've heard this company was a leading provider of various electric/electronic stuffs on US market for many years... Probably, era of Internet-based trade killed it...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,076
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    Really? That's bad. I've heard this company was a leading provider of various electric/electronic stuffs on US market for many years... Probably, era of Internet-based trade killed it...
    Well...I think it's basically because most of their money came from selling actual products like radios, stereos, mini T.V.'s, cell phones, etc. While they also sold misc. parts for the electronics hobbyist they likely didn't make a lot of money on that. Basically they weren't able to compete with the bigger name stores like Walmart, Bestbuy...and of course internet sales.

Similar Threads

  1. Cygolite 1700 OSP and Cygolite Tridenx 1300 xtra
    By dalhopgood in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 05:49 PM
  2. OpenLight Rechargeable Battery -- 20% off (MagicShine battery alternative)
    By lightjunction in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM
  3. Li-ion battery replacement for Cygolite HID head unit - advice please
    By biker99 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 08:25 PM
  4. Replacement battery for Cygolite NiMH?
    By Ofroad'bent in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
  5. pre-made battery pack vs. battery cell holders
    By Andy13 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.