MS 1400 main beam wider than the MS 900??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

MS 1400 main beam wider than the MS 900??

Is the main beam only on the new MS 1400 less of a spot-beam than the MS 900?? If it is, will the 1400 reflector swap into the 900 body?? Is there anywhere I can buy just the 1400 reflector??

Thanks,
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    Is the main beam only on the new MS 1400 less of a spot-beam than the MS 900?? If it is, will the 1400 reflector swap into the 900 body?? Is there anywhere I can buy just the 1400 reflector??

Thanks,
    Bryan

Bryan,

Taking a look at the light's configuration, you will note that there are three LED's included on the Magicshine 1400. These added LED's increase the beam's spread and breadth... It is not so much the reflector affecting the light's beam pattern as much as the added lightsource from the added LED's.

If we can help you at all, though, we're here for you. Say the word.

Best,

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    Interesting...It does appear that the MS1400 reflector in the MS900 spreads the beam out slightly more than the stock MS900 reflector.

Can you get pics of the MS900 stock vs MS900 w/ MS1400 reflector??

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    SOB when did this Monster MS 1400 come out - i've been hibernating too long ))

and at a dam good price too - but will i do with my 2 handle mounted MS 900's then ))

mmm decisions decisions

Excellent job Geoman

ps. so will 1 of these 1400 give me more TRUE lumens light then 2 older MS 900 on the bar ?

will it also give me a wider beam as well as the center?

can the 2 side lights be angled down and up and sideways? I currently point 1 light more down towards the ground and the other light more straight ahead.

really same 3 hr battery run time on full high as the older ms 900? is it the same 4 cell 4 x 18650 as the old one?)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The P7 in the MS900 seems to be driven a fair bit brighter than the one in the MS1400, So two MS900s probably put out more light, that said the MS1400 beam pattern seems to me pretty much perfect. The two XPGs really work, the have an optic that puts out a wide rectangular beam. You don't get quite as much throw in the distance as The MS900, but that's what your helmet light is for.

The side lights are fixed in place, although you could tinker with the beam pattern by rotating the optics a bit.

Haven't tested the runtime myself, but I'd believe it's the same even with the identical battery, as that p7 is not run as hard.

Magicshine Light Dealer
    Rick I used my MS1400 battery on a 900 lighthead on high got 187 mins, also used the same battery pack with the MS1400 running on high and averaged 158 mins. So running the 2 XP-E sidelights on high gave me 30 mins less burntime overall. These tests were done on rides up Mt Lemmon in AZ with elevation changes from 2200-8000 feet and temps between 74 and freezing. See the pics I added to the DIY thread, the battery is the same 4x 4 18650 cells although the MS1400 battery pack is sealed well in an aluminum canister so it should be far more waterproof and durable. (there are o'rings sealing each end and also foam inserts to prevent the battery from bouncing around) Cheers Reade

Quote Originally Posted by rickbike
    SOB when did this Monster MS 1400 come out - i've been hibernating too long ))

and at a dam good price too - but will i do with my 2 handle mounted MS 900's then ))

mmm decisions decisions

Excellent job Geoman

ps. so will 1 of these 1400 give me more TRUE lumens light then 2 older MS 900 on the bar ?

will it also give me a wider beam as well as the center?

can the 2 side lights be angled down and up and sideways? I currently point 1 light more down towards the ground and the other light more straight ahead.

really same 3 hr battery run time on full high as the older ms 900? is it the same 4 cell 4 x 18650 as the old one?)

Thanks
    www.thesingletrackstore.com
    Magicshine 900 & 1400 Lumen Cycling Light Dealer in Arizona

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So am I understanding that the actual overall lumens for the 1400 may in fact not be any greater than the original MS, just different beam pattern???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    So am I understanding that the actual overall lumens for the 1400 may in fact not be any greater than the original MS, just different beam pattern???
    No, it is putting out more lumens with all three LEDs on. It's just not as bright with only the center LED on as compared to the MS900. The two additional LEDs more than make up for that though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

still confused re amount of light from 1400 vs 900

Maybe I just don't understand the whole lux measurement thing (no maybe about that, really) but...

According to the lux readings posted by mtbmcgyver, the 1400 with all 3 lights on high is putting out 1640 lux; the 900 on high is putting out 1720.

Does this not mean that the 900 is putting out more light than the 1400 with all 3 lights on?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    Maybe I just don't understand the whole lux measurement thing (no maybe about that, really) but...

According to the lux readings posted by mtbmcgyver, the 1400 with all 3 lights on high is putting out 1640 lux; the 900 on high is putting out 1720.

Does this not mean that the 900 is putting out more light than the 1400 with all 3 lights on?
    I don't think his lux measurements are accurate. He's pointing the light right at the meter. This works well enough when comparing two lights with the same optic, but is inaccurate for lights with different beam patterns.

The way they test for lumen output in a lab is with an integrating sphere, which diffuses out all the light without letting any directly strike the meter.

In the Lights Shootout, they pointed the lights at a white ceiling, and meaure the reflected light, which should be close enough for comparison of lights that all reflect forward. Even that test though might be a bit unfair to the most wide beam patterns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for such a simple, lucid explanation - I think I actually understand! Appreciate it greatly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtheheathen
    I don't think his lux measurements are accurate. He's pointing the light right at the meter. This works well enough when comparing two lights with the same optic, but is inaccurate for lights with different beam patterns.
    The measurement are accurate, folks just have to recognize what the measurements mean. I wasn't attempting to measure total light output. I was mainly comparing if the main P7 light on the 900 vs 1400 were equal by using the exact same reflector for both measurements, it does give a fair comparison to answer that question. And they clearly are not equal. But yes, the side lights on the 1400 make up for that deficit at the expense of using more electrical power and a shorter runtime.

Lux is a measurement of absolute light intensity at the point it's measured. Lumens is the measure of total light output. I wasn't trying to measure lumens. The methodology used in the light shootout is a very rough indicator of total light output, but it can be thrown off quite a bit by a lot of factors such as beam pattern.

Overall the 1400 is a little less efficient than the 900 because the main regulator design isn't as efficient. The 1400, does generate a little more total lumens, but not by much. As a bar light, the beam pattern on the 1400 is much better than the 900.

In an ideal world, I'd rather than a 900 with a reflector that created a wider beam as a bar light, but using the battery design from the 1400. But, we don't live in an ideal world. So if you want to light that cost less than $130, puts out around 700 lumens, and is a good beam pattern for the bar. I guess the 1400 is about your only choice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Lux meter reading, from the center of the spot, is a very good tool for understanding throw of a light. The higher the better for throw.
    The whole integrating sphere thing is great in the lab, but often translates poorly to application especially regarding biking.
    Total output, use the Int. Sph.
    Usable beam, lux meter and beam shots.
    You only have X amount of light to throw around. Either you can send it down range or you can use is for fill.
    More light you generate the more of both you can have.
    So the MS 1400 has additional lights for fill, yet the reflector was designed to also increase fill.
    The light would be better with the MS 900 reflector for throw and then let the XPEs provide the fill.
    Just a thought. They had to build something and it is what it is. Overall though it is a very good light.

It ain't easy being Green
    So if you have both lights (900 & 1400) does it make sense to swap the reflectors? Your post suggests that this would provide a more efficient use of the total light output, narrowing the 1400 main beam and spreading the 900...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe. I have thought about it since I have both. Just been too lazy to do it.
    Size is the same. Just the reflector on the 1400 is threaded while the 900 isn't.
    Some people prefer total fill while others prefer throw.
    I want throw on the helmet and flood on the bars. The 1400, to me, is really a bar light. If you needed more throw on the bars though switching reflectors would make alot of sense.
    If you only have the two lights you now have flood on the helmet due to the switch.
    If you do have both maybe try it and decide what you prefer. Either light is a good light by themselves and together you have impressive throw and fill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The MS1400 reflector will go into the MS900, but the other direction doesn't work. You can't put the MS900 reflector into the MS1400 because of the lack of threading on the rim of the reflector.

I disagree about the MS1400 main P7 reflector being wider than the MS900 reflector. It has a slightly more even beam, but overall I think it's a little tighter than the MS900 reflector. The center beam lux reading for the MS900 light increases from 1720 to 1940 when you swap from the stock reflector to the 1400 reflector.

The first 2 beam shots in this post are the MS900 with stock and then 1400 reflector. You can compare the 2nd and 3rd beamshots to see how the 900 and 1400 compare when they are both using the same 1400 reflector.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=61

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool.

See how useful Lux measurements are?!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Personally I find that the flashlight version of the M900 has a much better spill of light (no doubt from the larger reflector and lense diameter) and it would have been nicer I think to have offered THAT head size as a dedicated bike light for bar mounting, with the standard battery pack. You get about 45 mins on high out of a single 2200mAh 18650 battery.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Some people prefer total fill while others prefer throw.
    I want throw on the helmet and flood on the bars.
    I agree. I have 2 MS900s (1 helmet, 1 bar) and the fill of the light on the bar is perfect. I'm outrunning the lights however on fast descents and want a flood beam on the helmet so I can focus further down the trail. I've tried unscrewing the lense and moving the reflector out from the LED (mag light beam adjustment style), but this left a black hole in the middle and only narrowed the beam slightly.

My friend's MS1400 run on the bars is an improvement over my MS900, but it does not cover any more distance, only fill.

Is there a good flood beam reflector and light housing donor out there for the P7?
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Members who have read this thread: 0