Mod Angels to Tail Lights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Mod Angels to Tail Lights?

Thinking about ordering another pair of these Silver-Grey with Yellow jobbies or a pair of these in Black with Red to mod with tail light repair tape, use in back on left and right, around 90є from each other.

Mod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpgMod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpg

Anybody here have either one or clones, can tell me whether it's possible to unscrew the bezel and take out the lens? Would want to either place the tape inside or at least spread it out over the entire exterior surface so that bezel would screw back down over the circumference. Of course would prefer the Black and Red color combo for a tail light, would go with my rear rack, but that model does not come with the diffusing lense like on the Silver-Grey w/Yellow. Wonder, would the tape mitigate glare okay? (Have never used such product before.) Glow ring could be kept white, from enough of a distance whole lamp would probably still appear red, right? Though that kind of translucent plastic accepts permanent dye pretty well. Figure I'd only run the center beam on Low Steady. Unless there is a way to mod the circuit board and lower the current? Then the main emitter could be set to Strobe while the outer ring is on Flash. Whole thing would look a lot like my MJ-818 when lit, and have perhaps an even more seizure-inducing blink pattern. Any info much appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes you can unscrew the bezel and take lens out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Yes you can unscrew the bezel and take lens out.
    Thanks ledoman. Yeah I found the same light with battery pack etc on Amazon and just noticed that it is pictured with spare O-rings for the lens and glow ring. Odd then that the other lens is not included as well, if the manufacturer expects the lamp to be user serviceable. Wonder whether the individual lenses are availble anywhere, not sure what size they run. Guess I'll find out upon receipt of the pair of KD light heads ordered as auxiliaries for my commuter bike. Am hoping the glow rings are not as blinding as any of my other bar lights on Flash/Strobe.

mtbr member
    Might as well put some orange or red plexiglass over the end so it's visible from the sides too, or some sort of dome. I'd rather see a red emitter, but you'd need to change the driver as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are not the glow rings visible from the sides? Side visibility was my sole reason for purchase. Agree, any tail light should be domed if possible. Anyway the plan is for a pair of these suckers, to place at right angles from each other, with my MJ-818 in the center. Was actually considering replacing the driver as well, so as to get the central emitter to work on a lower Strobe setting. No idea where to find anything at all compatable. Eh, no big deal because XM-L2 on [steady] Low + glow rings on Flash should be pretty attention grabbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes the front glow rings are visible from sides. I can remember someone already made review of those on the Spanish bike forum. Can't recall where to look for it right now. Will try to find it.
    I have both and are nice commuting lights. If the green status ring is to bright, you can just paint it with some permanent pen marker. For the rear light I would paint front ring with red. Having two in the front would be probably overkill, but it depends where are you riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Yes the front glow rings are visible from sides... I have both and are nice commuting lights. If the green status ring is to bright, you can just paint it with some permanent pen marker. For the rear light I would paint front ring with red. Having two in the front would be probably overkill, but it depends where are you riding.
    Well yeah ledoman my plan was to tape red tail light repair inside the center lens and maybe dye the glow rings red too. The bow bars on my NYC commuter/tourer curve back sharply near the ends which gave me the idea of mounting the first pair of white auxiliary lamps on either side up front (KD 880 clone center.) That way they'd angle apart by 90є to 120є, help make my bike visible left and right during "crush-hour." Will be more of a challenge to mount the red pair to my spindly rear rack, take a lot of shimming unless I can find a slimmer mount to replace the MS O-ring style one they come with. Have to admit, Serfas has it all figured out with the narrow dual band mounting system on their tail lights, they can attach any which way. MagicShine MJ-818, OTOH, is designed just to fasten to seat posts, grrr. Oh well, I've got loads of shimming tape. Loads and loads of shimming tape...

Oh and thanks for digging up that other thread for me, ledoman. Had been looking to see whether Garry had ever managed to find the proper diffusing lens for the lamp he got on FastTech. Guess not. But interesting he mentioned that lowest mode = ~10% current draw. Which is possibly a good thing just to "be seen". Is that the level you use on your commutes, or do you find the need to pump up the output?

mtbr member
    If you possibly can you should switch to red LEDs and run on lower power. This will be brighter and have longer battery runtime than filtering the whites.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    If you possibly can you should switch to red LEDs and run on lower power. This will be brighter and have longer battery runtime than filtering the whites.
    Yes of course Znomit, but the XM-Ls and SMDs are all on the same board so it can't just be swapped out, and my re-flow skilz are zilch. Would be great if KD offered the lamps in an additional choice of yellow or red LEDs; at the current price they're asking, would probably fly off the shelves. Maybe I should ask them about that after their holiday, they've always seemed very open to suggestions.

Incidentally, came across this at LightMalls:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  6.9 KB

Not exatly anything I can use, as it runs on 4.2V and XM-Ls only go H-L-S. Plus I'm only interested in single units as auxiliaries, but this model here is obviously crying out for red LEDs inside its reflectors. Also offered with blue glow rings, for wannabe state troopers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well the little beasties arrived and OMFG are they ever bright! Even the glow rings are practically blinding, perhaps even more so in Pulse mode than Steady. Center XM-L2 dazzles on Low, Strobe mode is positively INSANE. Can't manage to unscrew the bezels, guess if I wanna get another pair for tail lights will just have to squeejee the red repair tape across the lenses exterior and hope for the best.

Also gotta say, the diffusing lenses on the Silver-Grey+Yellow pair work wonders, project an amazingly wide beam. For those who don't mind Cool White, at only $13.68 from Kaidomain, makes a great bar lamp. Haven't ordered the Spot version yet so not sure what kinda beam that throws, but imagine it would work fine on a helmet. Anyway, either of the two options are well worth the entry price for the glow rings alone, IMNSHO. You can find the pair on Amazon now with battery pack, Y cable and charger for around $42, but the package still ships from China. (No idea of the quality of the batteries on those, hasn't gotten any reviews yet.)

Sorry HTML is temporarily disabled on this site for now, will try to link up some picks later.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didn't read this thread until now (I'm not familiar with this light being called "Angel Eyes"). I'm copying my post from another thread here with a few additions:

To remove the bezel: if I remember you use tweezers (or something similar) to grab inside the front grooves and unscrew it. The trickier part is trying to get the pill out - I never did as it required removing the power cable. Even though the stock emitter board has the XM-L2 and the ring LEDs all on the same board you can trim that apart and separate the ring LEDs from the XM-L2 section and then replace that XM-L2 with a 16mm board with LED of your choice. (Note that the emitter wiring on my ring LED's was backwards - red on negative and black on positive.)

I gave up on replacing the lens/optic as I lost interest in that light.

Here is my PhotoBucket Gallery with a few teardown pics of the light.

Ok, I just found beamshot pics of the MT-05s ("Angel Eyes") on my PC and uploaded them to the above gallery. This is after it was modded to Neutral White 5B1 tint. Here they are:

High:

Med:

Low:

Ring Light Only:

I could see this light being modded to a tail light. I think you can forget doing any driver swap (unless you have a lot of circuit knowledge) as this stock driver includes circuitry for both ring light and the XM-L2.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Garry! Yeah I saw your reply on the other thread but hadn't had time to aknowledge your generous contribution until now.

Wow, knowing it's possible to mod the XM-L2 on that lamp I'm tempted to buy a second pair. With the right red emitters, they'd make great tail lights without having to go through any red tape! Neutral Whites behind the diffusing lenses for "driving lights" on the commuter should work well on the trail as well.

Incidently, Kaidomain told me they could order 21.3mm Red lenses from their manufacturer to fit the angel eyes, but would need some minimum. Guess they don't know what that would be yet. Cyan is only color in stock right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Seem the Ultrafire MT-05s (or "Angle Eyes" as you call it) may be "loosely" based on the MagicShine MJ-858 (updated version).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Seem the Ultrafire MT-05s (or "Angle Eyes" as you call it) may be "loosely" based on the MagicShine MJ-858 (updated version).

-Garry
    Huh, but that MagicShine does not really have glow rings, has it? Plus looks like it's got some kind of optics thing going on rather than a reflector. Think I've seen similar clones to the MJ-858, they've always thrown me at first cause the bezel looks like it should contain SMDs. So am guessing there must be some other even more obscure original out there somewhere, because there are so many clones; seems highly unlikely any of the knock-off shops went and created an original design.

Wanna see something really spooky?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  64.3 KB

It's like they took the Silver/Grey+Yellow model and inverted the colors on the case. Though otherwise it appears like the Black+Red, as it lacks a diffusing lens and is just a spot. Amazon.com : E-oneworld 2014 New CREE XM-L LED L2 2000Lm Bike Bicycle Lamp light headlamp head lamp : Sports & Outdoors

Am still waiting to hear back from KD on what the minimum order would have to be on the red lens. Cyans are under $3 a piece, but sadly I'm not in law enforcement.
    Last edited by andychrist; 04-24-2015 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Finally did it

Just got in a pair of External Bent Tip Snap Ring Pliers and a little reel of Red Lens Repair Tape.

Mod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpg

Center Beam on Low, Glow Ring on Steady
    Mod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpg

Funny but inside my KD XM-L2 there is an elliptical diffusing lens like the ones from LEDDNA, held in by a clear glass disk directly under the retaining ring. So applied lens tape to both interior of the glass and bottom of the plastic cylinder that acts as a lens for the 12 SMDs of the glow ring. Had to build up to three layers of tape before the filter was deep enough in color, first two got too bleached out. Resulting tint is kinda magenta as compared to the orange-red of say my MagicShine MJ-818 tail light. Probably because underlying LEDs are Cool White, which are kinda blue. Eh, good enough. At only ~$13 for the lamp can't complain; got enough tape to convert twenty of them for about $4.00, less than the cost of a single red lens from Action-LED.

Again, Glow Rings and Center Beam are independently operated, so is possible to achieve a variety of light patterns and intensity. Will probably just run mine with XM-L2 set to Low and 12x SMDs on Pulse, conserve batteries and not blind those behind me.

RAKC
    Your giving me ideas here lol. I have a bunch of smd red leds.... Find a red emitter (believe I can get them at mtnelectronics, not sure though). Right now mine has gotten an xm-l2 u2 3c installed and is in bars for commuter. 4.2v pack situation to use kd remote light requires building/buying a pack which I dont feel like dealing with right now. I want to get onto building my own light head.

RAKC
    Well since my tail light idea fell through (lotta work and gotta order a bunch of stuff, can't justify it). I boosted my driver to about 3A actual, and letting adhesive dry for a glare shield that I made from some black plastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh, you got 'er up and running again then, tigris?

Just found this red LED on Kaidomain for $4.81, it's 3W, 3.2V-3.4V. Can't tell from the horribly low resolution pics exactly what the set up is, and of course KD offers absolutely no further details. Oh well, too bad you've given up on plans to mod your angel eye for a tail light...

Still think my method of applying the repair tape is just as efficient in terms of lumens per watt as you'd get by installing a real red emitter, just because XM-L2 itself performs so well. So say you loose like half the lumens with the tape (being very liberal here), am betting you still break even. And if you dedome the LED of course you'll end up with a light closer to red than the magenta I got with the Cool White. Amount of tape I used only cost twenty cents, should last the life of the lamp, and is a cinch to apply or remove. Cheapest easiest mod in the world.

RAKC
    I haven't given up, just on this one. Probably mess with it later. But ya somehow I jacked up the emitter when I was checking things for possible mods. Tinkering funds atm are being held for a couple things. Want a good torch and new bin cree xm-l2s coming out, wanna snag some, both xp-g2 s3 in 3c and new xm-l2 u4 in 1c (good for dedome as will be as much/slightly more lumens than u2 un modded)

At $4 bare, $7 with noctigons im ordering a bunch.

But I also plan to order 1 or 2 more angel eyes, this in is set flood with leddna optic, doing a tail light with the second.

RAKC
    Andy mission for you, help me fi d the silver/blue preferable head only

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe the Grey and Blue in the new line up from KD? Appears different in photos but think Grey on KD and Silver on Amazon might be same.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023996

See they've redesigned the case a bit with more external fins on the bottom and now the control buttons are square (meh) and have their own LEDs lighting them up (yay!) Hope they'll be easier to press, original ones were WAY too stiff. Actually they look flush with the rear plate, so maybe they are capacitive touch or something?

Mod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpgMod Angels to Tail Lights?-image.jpg

Too bad they are not offering any of the new ones with the eliptical diffuser. Though honestly I won't really be interested in these until they're available with Neutral White XM-L2; what KD lists there as White is actually Cool White, bleh. The CW SMD glow ring I can live with.
    Last edited by andychrist; 04-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.

RAKC
    Oh see all that means nothing to me, they use the same leddna size optics . And emitter it fine, just add it to the pile of cw I can use for dedoming lol. Thnx guess it'll be a long wait again but worth it at least now that I know how cool they are. And more fins means I can push it to 3A easily. I gotta test this one see what its actual output is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Could you please provide details on how you boosted driver? I would like to with mine as it is expendable and I would like to learn. Does it require the 1206 sense resistors from mouser? It would be nice if the medium mode became more useable.