Max Output charger for Lumina Micro 850?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Max Output charger for Lumina Micro 850?

I just picked up a Niterider Lumina Micro 850 and I have been using my iPhone wall charger to charge it which has a 1 amp output. I was planning on setting up a dedicated charger for it in my laundry room and I found my wall charger from my old Samsung S7 which is there fast charger that has a 2.1 amp output. Anyone know if that will be too much to charge the light??? I tried calling Niterider a few minutes ago and their recording says their office is closed despite it still being within their business hours. I thought I would run it by you guys seeing as it may be a bit before I can get someone on the phone with the Holidays. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    With USB compatible chargers, the light will control the charge rate and it will be the lower of the highest allowed by the charger or the light. e.g. If the light can take 1A and the charge can put out only 0.5, it will be 0.5. If the light can take 1A and the charge can put out 2, it will be 1A.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    With USB compatible chargers, the light will control the charge rate and it will be the lower of the highest allowed by the charger or the light. e.g. If the light can take 1A and the charge can put out only 0.5, it will be 0.5. If the light can take 1A and the charge can put out 2, it will be 1A.
    Good info. Thank you for the response!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have been using a 2a wall charger.

I think the Samsung Fast Charge technology is useful only for Samsung devices. Meaning, if you used the Samsung or another 2.1 charger the device would charge at the same rate.

This is not a for sure, however I don't see how Samsung could honestly market a fast charger simply by providing a 2a charger that you could buy elsewhere.

he charging system is confusing, I get that.
    I recently did research on the charging methods as I'm considering a wall outlet USB port doohicky and wanted most bang for the buck. Haven't purchased yet, but one of these days I'll get a USB wall outlet with probably the 3.0 rating so that if I ever get a device capable of handling it I'll be set. As mentioned above, most of the devices are smart and will charge to their max potential when a powerful enough charger is used.

mtbr member
    The USB standard is such that you can plug any compliant USB chargeable device into any compliant USB charger without danger of damaging something. There are various USB Quick Charge standards where the charge current and charge voltage can adaptively vary. QC3 can go up to 22 volts and 4.6A. Power is VxA so higher voltage also means faster charging. The device being charged determines the max it will take, so if you have an old device that will only take 500mA at 5V, you can still charge it with a QC3 charger than is capable of putting 22V and 4.6A. Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charger for its phones can put out a max of 1.7A at 9V (15W) or 2A at 5V (10W).

Another advantage of higher voltage is that less power is lost in the resistance of the cables and connections. Higher current means more losses whereas higher voltage does not. In some cases, cables not specifically designed for higher charging currents will cause the charging rate to be limited below what the device and charger would otherwise be capable of.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The USB standard is such that you can plug any compliant USB chargeable device into any compliant USB charger without danger of damaging something. There are various USB Quick Charge standards where the charge current and charge voltage can adaptively vary. QC3 can go up to 22 volts and 4.6A. Power is VxA so higher voltage also means faster charging. The device being charged determines the max it will take, so if you have an old device that will only take 500mA at 5V, you can still charge it with a QC3 charger than is capable of putting 22V and 4.6A. Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charger for its phones can put out a max of 1.7A at 9V (15W) or 2A at 5V (10W).

Another advantage of higher voltage is that less power is lost in the resistance of the cables and connections. Higher current means more losses whereas higher voltage does not. In some cases, cables not specifically designed for higher charging currents will cause the charging rate to be limited below what the device and charger would otherwise be capable of.
    Interesting. Thank you again for for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Idea! Hkj

More information about USB power, USB charging and USB chargers are to find here:
    lygte-info.dk/info/SMPS workings UK.html
    lygte-info.dk/info/USBinfo UK.html
    lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html