Matching a pair of older Dinotte V's with 18650's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Matching a pair of older Dinotte V's with 18650's

Hey, I figured this was the right forum (not DIY) to ask this.
    I have a pair of the original Dinotte Luxeon V's that I've been running with home brew battery packs made of 4 nmih "a" size batteries. (never been able to get 4 AA's, not even brand new ones hot off the charger, to sustain high setting for more than a few seconds without activating the red light. The A size did and fit Dinotte's nylon holder and were dirt cheap surplus.) anyhoo, they're spent now.
    So I have 16 18650's cannibalized from some surplus Dell laptop batteries, all are good. I can't for the life of me figure how to get their 3.7-4.0 volt output to match up optimally to the Dinottes. What's the max voltage the Dinotte V will accept? The 18650's are never more than 4.09 off the charger but I wouldn't dare give one module 8.18v unless I am sure they will be safe, and I think they are not satisfactory performance at 4.0 or so.
    (I hooked up one module to a 18650 and one to a functional 4x A which runs about 5.27v off the charger, not sure if the output from a 1 18650 scheme is downgraded because of current or voltage limitations.)

Anyone with any ideas? The two dinnottes in some kind of series circuit scheme? a certain sized stout resistor stepping down the 8.18v? anything?
    All bikes weigh 50 lbs. a 50lb. bike doesn't need a lock. a 40lb bike needs a 10lb. lock. a 30 lb. bike needs a 20lb. lock.

mtbr member
    My $0.02.....rig your 18650's into a 7.4 volt configuration and hook it to one of these..> http://www.batteryspace.com/dc-dcreg...dc1ampmax.aspx
    Assuming of course that the old Dinotte V will run off of 6 volts and use no more than 1A. Battery Space also sells a 7.4 volt battery using the same voltage regulator already built in FWIW. I bought one some time ago to run my standard 200L off of and it worked fine. The only down side is that the regulator will drain the battery down to a set cut-off point, even when not being used. ( Now if you install an in-line switch between the battery and the regulator that problem would be eliminated. ) If not it's no big deal, you just have to remember to charge the battery just before you plan to use it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    My $0.02.....rig your 18650's into a 7.4 volt configuration and hook it to one of these..> http://www.batteryspace.com/dc-dcreg...dc1ampmax.aspx
    Assuming of course that the old Dinotte V will run off of 6 volts and use no more than 1A. Battery Space also sells a 7.4 volt battery using the same voltage regulator already built in FWIW. I bought one some time ago to run my standard 200L off of and it worked fine. The only down side is that the regulator will drain the battery down to a set cut-off point, even when not being used. ( Now if you install an in-line switch between the battery and the regulator that problem would be eliminated. ) If not it's no big deal, you just have to remember to charge the battery just before you plan to use it.
    Hey that first idea may be on the right track.
    I have a dc bench power supply with adjustable voltage and current (BK1621A as if anyone cares) and it has digital readout, kinda neat if you want to see how much a device is hungry for.
    I tested the light heads and at a regulated 6.0vdc they want .65a on low, .97a on high. As that is a little less margin than I like and I will always use both at once instead of getting 2 of those I'm thinking one of these instead:

http://www.batteryspace.com/dc-dcreg...o6vdc-01v.aspx

Same 6v output but rated at 5a max load. See any issues with that? It gets me off $5 cheaper and $$ is an issue thanks to GreatDepression.2

So far this is the best idea.
    All bikes weigh 50 lbs. a 50lb. bike doesn't need a lock. a 40lb bike needs a 10lb. lock. a 30 lb. bike needs a 20lb. lock.

mtbr member
    Oh, I see. You want to run two off of the same battery. Yes, the 5A version is better if that's the case.

Members who have read this thread: 0