Making the Magicshine into a tail light...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Making the Magicshine into a tail light...

So how about replacing the lens on a magicshine with a red one, or placing some sort of red film on the current lens. Imagine using that on high setting to ward off cars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    maybe heating somthing like this up to unglue the parts and just attaching the clear lens over the Magicshine.

mtbr member
    I've played around with red reflectors over white leds for tail lights, and it just ends up giving you a pink colored light. I'm in the process (still) of making a basic tail light using 3 Cree XR-C (red-orange) emitters. The biggest issue has been finding a cheap driver that has a flash mode. I ordered one from DX, now to see if it will work with the lower Vf of the red emitters.

Rolling
    Given the purpose of tail lights--for people to see you and not you to see better, it seems like a waste. You can get really small flashing lights really cheap that do the job more than sufficiently.

mtbr member
    Good point. I'm not even using optics on my tail light, instead using the 90* pattern that comes natural to the emitter. I'll have a lens, just not a focused optic or reflector...

mtbr member
    I think an MS as a taillight would be pretty cool if you aimed it down at the ground behind your bike. Would make a huge, visible red spot on the ground. Just match it up with a Mars or SF.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    I think an MS as a taillight would be pretty cool if you aimed it down at the ground behind your bike.
    Might as well do this.

Its got what plants crave
    Fuggin sweet, ground effects for my mountain whip esse.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

At Work
    Pointless and a waste of money. Plus it would be so bright that anybody behind you would probably be blinded and have their night vision really screwed up.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Might as well do this.

Yes. That was basically my idea. I love the down low glow. I feel it gets you noticed far more than any blinky ever would.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

I win.
    Here is my setup.

Magicshine out front and an Akoray K-109 with a Fenix red filter out back.

Flash light link
    Diffuser Link
    Mount

Flashlight puts out tons of light (200lumens on high). Strobe mode is nearly blinding and highly visible from far away. On medium I get about 2.5 Hours of light. Low is around 6 hours.
    The red filter puts out a solid red. No pink or orange here. It slips right on and is solid.

A magicshine as a rear light would be a waste in my opinion. Heavier than other rear light solutions and a little more cumbersome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making the Magicshine into a tail light...-001.jpg  

Making the Magicshine into a tail light...-002.jpg  

Making the Magicshine into a tail light...-004.jpg  

09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

GeoMan
    We're well underway with a tail light version.

Hope to launch by the end of the year.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Any hints or teasers? I'm curious...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice! I am looking for a Dinotte like light without the massive price increase over everything on the market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Nice! I am looking for a Dinotte like light without the massive price increase over everything on the market.
    I'd love to see the price come down on taillights.

That said, I have both a Dinotte 140L and the 400L rear lights. I can tell you that there is nothing I have done that has increased my riding safety like adding these taillights. They have been worth it as far as I'm concerned for safety. There is no comparison to the little clip on *supposedly* bright flashing lights like the cherry bomb etc... Those get no respect from drivers, but the Dinotte lights really get to drivers - they slow way, way down, and pass way way away - like giving me the entire lane.

Having looked at them closely, what they do is pretty much hide the bike behind a huge red light bloom. Drivers are not sure what it is, but they sure as heck know they don't want to be near it.

J.

I win.
    I can certainly second what you're saying about the amount of respect you get on the road with a bright tail light. Drivers take a wider berth around you and just seem over all more cautious when passing.

That said, I can't wait to see this new tail light by magicshine.
    I'd love to know what kind of form factor it has. Steel/silicone. Self enclosed/remote battery. Led type. Modes/run time.

Don't keep us in the 'dark'
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Geoman- Any word yet on the MS tail light before I drop the cash on an Dinotte?
    Thanks!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

At Work
    why not spend about $20.00 and pick up a Nightrider Cherry Bomb or the Planet Bike tail lights?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    why not spend about $20.00 and pick up a Nightrider Cherry Bomb or the Planet Bike tail lights?

Why? Because I have a 24 mile (busy w/ traffic) commute each way, and start at 7am time. Plus, I already own a Cherry bomb.

At Work
    So how is a high dollar tail light that will put out about the same light as a cherry bomb going to help??

just curious.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Oct 2009
    So how is a high dollar tail light that will put out about the same light as a cherry bomb going to help??

just curious.

The three were compared here (scroll down for detail pictures)....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...2C+cherry+bomb

Not even a comparision, is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, then you ought to try the Dinotte 400L - incredible. You turn into a large red bloom that no car wants to get near. They slow down and pass you in the opposite lane.

I have the 140L, the 400L and the Cherry Bomb. The Dinottes are amazing. Nothing else is close.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Well, then you ought to try the Dinotte 400L - incredible. You turn into a large red bloom that no car wants to get near. They slow down and pass you in the opposite lane.

I have the 140L, the 400L and the Cherry Bomb. The Dinottes are amazing. Nothing else is close.

J.

Thanks! I think I will.
    I was hoping Geo would update us first though on the status of the MS tail light, as I'm set up with their (MS's) other stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Of the lights I have, I think the smartest buy was the Dinotte Taillights. Really make a difference in safety.

J.

I win.
    I'm certainly still anxiously awaiting these new tail lights from magicshine. In addition to my helmet setup I'm just using these little single led jobs on my seatpost.

I hear if you say his name three times in a row he magically appears... here lets try...

Geoman... geoman... geoman...

He has been summoned.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    I wan't one

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Given the purpose of tail lights--for people to see you and not you to see better, it seems like a waste. You can get really small flashing lights really cheap that do the job more than sufficiently.

Using over-poweringly bright tail lights is rude, crude, and dangerous. Same goes for using mega-lumen headlights on the road. The point is to see and be seen, not momentarily blind other road users. A simple blinky on the back is plenty noticeable. 100-200 well placed lumens in the front will get the job done.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

GeoMan
    We have a new design being engineered now. Our Tail Light will appear soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Its got what plants crave
    Wow, DX is producing a Knog knockoff.

Wish I'd seen that when I placed my last order with them. I'd order again but fawk, it took 3 weeks to get here, so I'm going to accumulate a few more items before I order again.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus

Using over-poweringly bright tail lights is rude, crude, and dangerous. Same goes for using mega-lumen headlights on the road. The point is to see and be seen, not momentarily blind other road users. A simple blinky on the back is plenty noticeable. 100-200 well placed lumens in the front will get the job done.

You'd think.
    There are guys in the commuter forum that have been hit multiple times. With what I've seen on long commutes, I want to stand out like a cop on the side of the road.
    My love my kids too much....

Imo, when well placed, the 100-200 lumen sets are far superior for overall saftey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

just curious.
    Right. The Dinotte 140L runs off of 4 AAs (4 *2200mah = 8800 mah), will run on high for around 3 hours, and puts out 140 lumens. The Cherry Bomb runs off of 2 AAAs (2*750 mah = 1500 mah), will run on high for 19 hours, and I can't find output information on-line. You're implying that somehow, the Cherry Bomb puts out about equivalent light for 6+ times the hours for less than 20% of the power. Uh huh.

Your implication would only be more ridiculous if you meant the 400L not the 140L.

In reality, as of today (January 13, 2010), Dinotte makes the best tail lights available. Before the Cherry Bomb, there were people on these forums who argued the PB Superflash was the same, or about the same, as the high dollar tail light (aka, Dinotte).

BTW, I have a 140L and a PB Superflash. I do not own a Cherry Bomb.
    Last edited by J_Hopper; 01-14-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0