Making a decision- Mtbr.com
    Bear

Making a decision

While my heart was set on a Trail LED Darkstar I've got a decision to make. My current setup is 2 full Jet Phantom 20W halogens that have served me well. Within our Madison club I've got an owner of a Darkstar and an owner of a Trail LED 500L. Sometime in the next couple weeks I plan on heading out for a few singletrack laps with the Jet, Darkstar, and 500L for some comparison laps. Hoping to find that the 500L doesn't get completely blown away by the Darkstar since for the same price I could end up with a helmet and bar light. Will be interesting to see how they compare to my old Jet halogens. I'll post up my observations.....what do you think I'll find?
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    ... Will be interesting to see how they compare to my old Jet halogens. I'll post up my observations.....what do you think I'll find?
    The Jet 20 watt halogens are one of the brightest halogen lights made. It is a decent light system, having two I would have no doubt that you could see very well. I would also think that after seeing a Darkstar you really won't want anything else. If it were me, I would buy the Darkstar with helmet mount. My choice would be to order both emitters with the spot reflectors for more throw, besides you will have so much spill light you might not need another lamp. ( *note with the Darkstar you have a choice of reflectors, spot, flood or combo ) Still, you could still run one of the Jet's on the bars if you wanted to. Next, ( if it were me..) I'd consider buying something like the MagicShine for the bars to replace the Jet when you get a little more money. That way you should have more light than you need and way more run time. Not to mention, if you were running those Jet "water bottle style" NiMh batteries ( 1.5lb per battery ) you will lose quite of lot of weight with the newer set-up.

Members who have read this thread: 0