Majic Shine, Which One?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Majic Shine, Which One?

I'm new to Mtn biking at night. I was thinking of getting the 900 Racer Plus but by the time I pay shipping the 1400 Racer Plus ends up being only 35 bucks more.

Which route should I take?

Mojo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would go with a 900 Plus as the 900 light head has been proven to be water proof. I remember their being a video showing the light head running underwater.
    Last edited by Chris RX-7; 05-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    I have the 900 and it is super bright, small and light. I run it on my helmet if I hit the trails and I cannot even feel it up there. I almost bought another for my handlebars, but honestly even on the pitch black moonless trail rides I can see without a problem with just the one on my helmet.

GeoMan
    Agreed if you are only going to run a single light the helmet's the place to mount it. The 900 is the best option with regard to size and beam pattern for the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    I have the 900 and it is super bright, small and light. I run it on my helmet if I hit the trails and I cannot even feel it up there. I almost bought another for my handlebars, but honestly even on the pitch black moonless trail rides I can see without a problem with just the one on my helmet.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

$%^#@!

Geoman...since you just posted maybe you'll see this. I posted some days ago about not being able to get to your site...still happening. My friends can't access it either. I tried to send you an e-mail via AOL, but that wouldn't go through either. Sent one through this board which appeared to go through but no answer.

Are you making any progress with making the site accessible? I was planning to order a headlight some days ago and possibly a tail light (if just the head is now available) but am very concerned that I haven't been able to access your site for many weeks now. Even if I could find a way to order - which right now I can't - not being able to reach you in the event of a problem is kind of a deal breaker, which I'm sure you can understand. You guys are known for customer service so I'm baffled by this problem going on for weeks and weeks and seemingly no concen on your part. It doesn't seem like you'd want to lose the business of all AOL users, if that's indeed the problem.

Can you please give an update, and tell me if and how I can communicate with you now and in the future?

mtbr member
    You can't access the site? I can access it just fine. Sounds like an issue with your internet service provider, or your own network if you run a DNS server.

GeoMan
    Hi SBeach, we responded to your email this morning via email response. Clearly the issue is an AOL issue, in my email I suggested you try using IE or Firefox browsers instead of the AOL Browser to try and isolate the issue. We believe it may simply be an outdated AOL browser issue. We have had intermittent issues with the AOL browsers if they are not updated regularly. We are happy to work with you on this and resolve the problem. You can email me directly [email protected], that should take the AOL browser out of the equation

Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    Geoman...since you just posted maybe you'll see this. I posted some days ago about not being able to get to your site...still happening. My friends can't access it either. I tried to send you an e-mail via AOL, but that wouldn't go through either. Sent one through this board which appeared to go through but no answer.

Are you making any progress with making the site accessible? I was planning to order a headlight some days ago and possibly a tail light (if just the head is now available) but am very concerned that I haven't been able to access your site for many weeks now. Even if I could find a way to order - which right now I can't - not being able to reach you in the event of a problem is kind of a deal breaker, which I'm sure you can understand. You guys are known for customer service so I'm baffled by this problem going on for weeks and weeks and seemingly no concen on your part. It doesn't seem like you'd want to lose the business of all AOL users, if that's indeed the problem.

Can you please give an update, and tell me if and how I can communicate with you now and in the future?
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 05-27-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Yes it's one of those odd issues, we run multiple browsers to check if there are compatability issues with viewing the site, IT has narrowed it down to possibly an AOL browser issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    You can't access the site? I can access it just fine. Sounds like an issue with your internet service provider, or your own network if you run a DNS server.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    E-mail won't work either

If you answered me it didn't get through to my mailbox. Checked spam and it's not there either.

I don't think I'm using the AOL browser - I open Internet Explorer, which goes to my home page of AOL.

GeoMan
    Check your MTBR private mail, I just sent an email to that

Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    E-mail won't work either

If you answered me it didn't get through to my mailbox. Checked spam and it's not there either.

I don't think I'm using the AOL browser - I open Internet Explorer, which goes to my home page of AOL.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should not be using AOL or IE as a web browser. AOL is antiquated and the actual software suit has been known to cause some interesting system instability issues with some of my customer' system. The reason again running IE is from a security standpoint, most malicious software is written to explicitly take advantage of security vulnerabilities in the IE source code, that the reason that Macs rarely ever get viruses, the viruses are simply not written to interact with the Mac OS and browser. I would recommend Firefox running a advertisement blocker or Google's Chrome browser also running an advertisement blocker.

That being said, if you are running IE and you are experiencing problems accessing certain websites I would recommend resetting all of Internet Explorer's advanced and security settings. To do this click on “Tools” or the wrench icon depending on your version of IE. From there click on “Internet options” and you will be presented a page that will allow you to delete cookies and files (you may only have one delete button depending on your version of IE). Delete all cookies, temporary internet files, and saved passwords. Afterwards, in the same box, click on the “Advanced” tab on the upper right hand side of the box and click on the two buttons “Reset all IE settings to default” and “Reset advanced settings” (you may only have a “Restore Defaults” button depending on your version of IE). Next, click “Apply” then “Ok”. Close the browser all together and then restart it. Try the website to see if it is working. 99.9% it is a update to the browser that will cause problems with websites and not actual sites themselves.

Hope that helps,
    Chris

GeoMan
    Thanks Chris you have some great ideas there I'm guessing you are employed in the IT field. We have been working on this issue with SBeach, it may even be ISP related, their ISP is Atlantic Broadband and some of the threads online are discussing DNS issues with blocks of Dynamic IPs. It's one of those tough issues to resolve remotely, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris RX-7
    You should not be using AOL or IE as a web browser. AOL is antiquated and the actual software suit has been known to cause some interesting system instability issues with some of my customer' system. The reason again running IE is from a security standpoint, most malicious software is written to explicitly take advantage of security vulnerabilities in the IE source code, that the reason that Macs rarely ever get viruses, the viruses are simply not written to interact with the Mac OS and browser. I would recommend Firefox running a advertisement blocker or Google's Chrome browser also running an advertisement blocker.

That being said, if you are running IE and you are experiencing problems accessing certain websites I would recommend resetting all of Internet Explorer's advanced and security settings. To do this click on “Tools” or the wrench icon depending on your version of IE. From there click on “Internet options” and you will be presented a page that will allow you to delete cookies and files (you may only have one delete button depending on your version of IE). Delete all cookies, temporary internet files, and saved passwords. Afterwards, in the same box, click on the “Advanced” tab on the upper right hand side of the box and click on the two buttons “Reset all IE settings to default” and “Reset advanced settings” (you may only have a “Restore Defaults” button depending on your version of IE). Next, click “Apply” then “Ok”. Close the browser all together and then restart it. Try the website to see if it is working. 99.9% it is a update to the browser that will cause problems with websites and not actual sites themselves.

Hope that helps,
    Chris
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So I'm also thinking about buying a light for night riding. I was leaning towards the Amoeba until I found out about the Magic Shine. On a very tight budget and would start out with one light. Seems like people are half and half on whether to use it on handlebars or helmet.

If I went with the 900 helmet mounted, where do people put the battery? I saw with the Amoeba people just put the battery pack directly on the back of the helmet. Will this work with the MS or do you need to keep the battery in a backpack pocket?

Thinking I might go with handlebar mount as sometimes I won't have a backpack or helmet for short road rides. Guess I can switch it around a few times and figure out which position I prefer.

mtbr member
    On the trails, the MS900 goes on my helmet with the battery in my Camelbak. When on the road, the light goes on the bars with the battery under the stem. The current model has the water bottle battery pack with is much more waterproof but bulky, although it would still fit into a backpack. One up on the helmet is quite a bit better than on the bars IMHO. With the light on the bars it casts longer shadows and makes it hard to see well around corners especially at higher speeds. I like being able to see wherever I look. I'd not hesitate to buy the MS, I've used it as a commuter light this past winter rain or shine, a dozen times on the trails so far this year. It's never failed me, and is just ridiculously bright.

Members who have read this thread: 0