Magicshine..what one?- Mtbr.com
    what a joke

Magicshine..what one?

Hey fellas, I'm going to get a Magicshine as a spare light to lend mates when I take them night riding. Have been looking on the DX site but they have 3 listed but am not sure what one to get.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

or

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

or

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489

Is there any obvious difference apart from the 5 modes vs 3 modes?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Get it from Geoman. I orderd mine on Tuesday night and had it on Friday.

I got the 2300 Combo. This way you get a really good helmet light, and an awesome bar mount light with a wide spread, that gives you lots of terrain contour.

what a joke
    I would buy from Geoman but I'm in Australia so the cost of shipping is an extra $40. I can almost get 2 lights from DX for the price of one from Geoman. I know he has great service and provides good info but I cant justify the extra cost.
    Last edited by ozlongboarder; 05-14-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Go with the third choice since it includes the head mount. Just remove the strap and use velcro straps to attach to helmet.
    The five mode is just more settings to cycle through and make you decide between in my opinion.
    Personally like to keep things simple. So that is the reason for the 3 mode over 5 mode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sku 36018!

what a joke
    I ended up ordering 4!
    1 for me and a couple of mates wanted them as well.

Between this and my 7UP Troutie light I should be able to see ok LOL!
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Are all 3 SKUs in the OPs post the same cord length? It seems that Im leaning toward SKU 29489 but will buy the extra cord to be safe due to complaints that the cord is short.

Also, any difference between the Seoul and Cree LEDs? Ive heard of Cree but never heard of Seoul. DX is showing a cree for 29489.

I was about to purchase a GEOMAN light but noticed shipping is another $10 plus another $10 for headlamp mount. Seems there is a $30 difference. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ended up ordering SKU 29489 with the extra cord. The headlamp mount will need slight modification for a helmet but no big deal. The light has 3 modes and is nice and bright. I took it apart and noticed that magicshine added screws, thermal grease and had no burrs. Seems that they have addressed build quality issues of the past.

I have noticed that sometimes the light doesnt come on briefly when I plug in the battery. Sometimes it just stays on. Not sure why that is the case.

DX shipped to my door in CA in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Just FYI Geomangear has been known to help people out, even if they didn't purchase the light through their own store. Not sure how far that goes, but a friend of mine had a failed tailcap from a torch he bought on DX, but Geomangear still sent him out a replacement tailcap. Pretty cool vendor, great service, and well worth the extra $$$ IMHO.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah guys help out the US economy, buy from Geomangear

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ruri
    When im in the UK and the OP is in Australia - Nah!

We'll buy from Geoman for the service we get and that alone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ruri
    Seriously? If you want to help the US economy, buy from a source that is building lights in the USA. Amoeba, L&M and NR are US built - arent they?

Light freak

Amoeba light - built in the USA

I am in Colorado I have a small milling machine at home that I am producing my lights with. I have two small children, therefore, I could not afford the money it costs today for a kick ass light set up so I made my own. There is no way that I could keep up with the rate that MagicShines are selling, nor do I want to. I am just a guy trying to raise my kids in today's world, perform at my job during the day, build some lights on Friday and Saturday nights, and trying to get a bike ride in there somewhere. There is a group of us that meet 3 times a week (no matter rain, wind, or snow) at the trailhead at 5 am and get in a ride before work, therefore, I need to have a reliable set of lights. I also like sharing my stuff with others that value a handmade, custom light and the service that goes with it.

tj90 - Thanks for the mention

Members who have read this thread: 0