Magicshine runtime problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Magicshine runtime problem

Hi guys,

A friend of mine purchased a magicshine from Lumilite uk - only getting less than 2 hours runtime - so we checked his charger and its only putting out 7V. Lumilite not answering his calls/emails - apparently there is an issue with chargers?

Just a couple of questions - what batteries are in there? I know they are lithium ions and i dont think they are 18650?

other than a replacement stock charger anyone know of any other charger he can use?

Thanks for the info

Edited to show correct supplier - Lumilite not Lumicycle
    Last edited by watsy; 02-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The magicshine battery pack is 4 18650 cells arranged 2s2p. Any li-ion charger limited to 8.4V will work. The max current of the charger will effect how long it takes to charge. I would recommend a charger with a max current in the 1-2 amp range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are you sure it's a Magicshine light? I wasn't aware that Lumicycle sold the Magicshine light. They do sell a light of their own design that use a completely different battery than the Magicshine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    Are you sure it's a Magicshine light? I wasn't aware that Lumicycle sold the Magicshine light. They do sell a light of their own design that use a completely different battery than the Magicshine.
    That was my first thought. Lumicycle don't sell the Magicshine but they do look alike (sort of).
    If it's the quad in this link then just over 2 hrs is probably normal

http://www.gonebikingmad.co.uk/produ...s399p135&rs=gb

mtbr member
    http://www.lumilite.co.uk/

Sorry my mistake it is lumilite, not lumicycle - see link. Although reading that link they are branded as Lumilite P7, it is a magicshine though?

Thanks guys
    Most things in life have the power that you give them, so choose wisely what you choose to give power to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watsy

Sorry my mistake it is lumilite, not lumicycle - see link. Although reading that link they are branded as Lumilite P7, it is a magicshine though?

Thanks guys
    I have a feeling this is a case of: "A rose by any other name, doith not cost the same".

mtbr member

Thanks guys
    Looks like it.
    Doesn't everything in the EU come with a 2 year warranty?

Alan
    Feb 2010
    I purchased mine from the Magicshine UK shop - www.magicshineuk.co.uk

I also ordered a helmet mount but didn't realise an extension cable was needed. They e-mailed me to tell me they had put the extension cable in the box for free! The lightset and extension cable duly turned up next day.

I also e-mailed them with a query about fitting the battery to the frame (I didnt realise the bag has velcro wings) and got a response same day - so in my personal experience their customer service was very good.

I have seen quite a few posts in various other forums about poor customer service from Lumilite.

I use mine nearly every day and have no problems at all. I just put the battery on charge at the end of each ride and its fully charged for the next one. I haven't scientifically measured the run time but some of my rides are more than two hours with a training loop stuck on. Mine is the five mode model.

GeoMan

Thanks guys
    If that is a Magicshine, it is an older version (mid-2009)... 3 modes were replaced by 5 mode models around July or August of 2009. There were some other minor upgrades made at that time too, to our specifications.

2 hours on a single Magicshine 900 is short by about an hour and a half... We normally see 3 to 3.5 hours run-time depending on temperature conditions.

Let me know if we can help.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    If that is a Magicshine, it is an older version (mid-2009)... 3 modes were replaced by 5 mode models around July or August of 2009. There were some other minor upgrades made at that time too, to our specifications.

2 hours on a single Magicshine 900 is short by about an hour and a half... We normally see 3 to 3.5 hours run-time depending on temperature conditions.

Let me know if we can help.

Geo
    Geo, this is not entirely true. Although the 3-mode version may have been the 1st to come out, the manufacturer is still producing the 3 mode lights.

I sell Magicshines in South Africa and specifically order them in the 3-mode version. Many people find that the simplicity of 3-modes outweighs the benefits of having 5 modes to have to cycle through.
    Magiclight
    South Africa - www.magiclight.co.za
    UK & Europe www.magiclight.co.uk

since 4/10/2009
    Looks to me like those lights are not identical to the Magicshines currently on the market (the alu ring around the "lens" is smooth, unlike the one on my Magicshine). It looks like this company is rebranding Magicshines for the UK market with some minor cosmetic changes?

GeoMan
    Good eye. Watch out for imposters...

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Members who have read this thread: 0