MagicShine Run Times- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MagicShine Run Times

Just ordered the MJ-808 5 mode light from Geoman Gear (super fast - thanks for that).

The spec page calls out "Runtime: 3 hours on High Mode". Anyone have data on runtimes for the other modes?

High = 900 lumens
    Mid = 500
    Low = 200

Looking forward to the brightness,

MonkeyDawg
    http://FoothillTrailHounds.com

mtbr member
    Im curious about actuall run times on the MS900 also. Any1 care to comment on either?
    "Life is for living, not living uptight"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    When the battery is brand new the runtime on high is closer to 3.5 hours. Medium around 7 hours. Never have tested low.

Li-ion battery capacity drops with the number of charge / discharge cycles. So the runtime will decrease some over time. The amount it drops depends on the depth of discharge, so don't intentionally run them down before recharging like some people advise with other types of battery chemistry.

GeoMan
    We have done a number of tests and received customer data over the last year, you can safely count on, these runtimes are based on many different lightsets and batteries averaged out in different temps and climates. Thanks for the support MonkeyDawg

High = 3 hrs
    Mid = 4.5 hrs
    Low = 6.0 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDawg
    Just ordered the MJ-808 5 mode light from Geoman Gear (super fast - thanks for that).

The spec page calls out "Runtime: 3 hours on High Mode". Anyone have data on runtimes for the other modes?

High = 900 lumens
    Mid = 500
    Low = 200

Looking forward to the brightness,

MonkeyDawg
    http://FoothillTrailHounds.com
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    When the battery is brand new the runtime on high is closer to 3.5 hours. Medium around 7 hours. Never have tested low.

Li-ion battery capacity drops with the number of charge / discharge cycles. So the runtime will decrease some over time. The amount it drops depends on the depth of discharge, so don't intentionally run them down before recharging like some people advise with other types of battery chemistry.
    Sorry, too many light statistics floating around in my head. Checked back with data I had recorded from earlier and the 3.5 on high is right, but the 7 hours on medium is wrong. It was 7 hours on low. That is what I got with a brand new pack at ideal temperature. You should probably use the more conservative figures Geoman posted for ride planning.

mtbr member
    To confirm the data, mine gets about 3 hours on High mode. Haven't bothered to ever put it on any other mode for long enough to run the battery out. Enjoy, it's a great light!
    "Got everything you need?"

she keep you buying rats
    I have the old 2 step Magic Shines.

In warm weather I get 3:20 on high consistently... and have gotten well over 7h on low.

In sub freezing weather though... I'm seeing my run times fall to 2h on high.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I get exactly 1.5 hours on high on both of my magicshine 900s.

mtbr member
    The magicshine 3 stage disco warning light is f-n awesome. 700 lumens destroyed the other riders lights which were like the low setting of my magicshine. They just arrived last week (non geoman through eslay). Good value just like Francois said "revolutionary due to the price".
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newportl
    I get exactly 1.5 hours on high on both of my magicshine 900s.

Are you running them on a "Y" cable off of one battery??

mtbr member
    fightnut: also would like to ask how that is - the power of the lights - split on a Y cable they should hypothetically run max power until battery dies (red light on indicator?) --- is this correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    fightnut: also would like to ask how that is - the power of the lights - split on a Y cable they should hypothetically run max power until battery dies (red light on indicator?) --- is this correct?

Yes, if you run 2 MS900's on one battery pack using a "Y" cable, you'll get half the run time that you would with 1 MS900.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Both of my magicshine 1 year old batteries have taken a significant runtime hit. I used to get 3 hrs on high like everyone else out there, now I only get 1 hr. on each battery. A little disappointing.

To verify that it's the batteries causing the problem, I got a new battery with the magicshine tail light and sure enough it's good for 3 hrs on my headlights. It seems that the longevity of these battery packs is an issue.

I'm guessing the issue is the unbalanced charging and relying on the individual cell protection during charging?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny
    Both of my magicshine 1 year old batteries have taken a significant runtime hit. I used to get 3 hrs on high like everyone else out there, now I only get 1 hr. on each battery. A little disappointing.
    Is it not cheap enough to ?:

A. Buy a new pack
    or
    B. Build your own "Better Pack"
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny

I'm guessing the issue is the unbalanced charging and relying on the individual cell protection during charging?
    If you've lost that much capacity after a year, it's due to the quality of the cells...not balancing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oh it's fine - I am just posting my findings after 1 year of use. The packs never saw any significant water to my knowledge, but I have not opened them up. I'm just putting it on the table that these packs seem to be disposable after 1 year's time. I think we all sorta knew that going into it. My lightheads are in great shape though!

mtbr member
    The paper instructions included with the latest generation Magicshine says "no memory effect" - so if you experience less run time, definitely buy another battery pack. My experience is that rechargable batteries die 12-24 months after heavy use. This includes camera, car, cell phone, bike lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the old 3 mode High-Low-Strobe MS. I have had the light for a year.

I get more than 8 hours on Lo.. but I am not sure what I get on Hi. Presumably half that if my low is really a mid (looks about half the high brightness when on low).

I'll update this thread when I test on High. Only issue I have had is with the charger no longer indicating full charge. It no longer flicks from red to green.

Members who have read this thread: 0