Magicshine with red lens- Mtbr.com
    what a joke

Magicshine with red lens

I was stopped by the police recently and they told me my rear light was barely visible. They were very friendly about it and suggested I get a better light. That got me thinking.... I know MS do a rear specific light but I though if I got a regular MS light and fitted a red lens or painted the lens red it would be an extremely bright tail light when on strobe. It also gives me the option of swapping it back to a clear lens to to use on the front of the bike.

Something like this.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fenix-r...diameter-54702

As anyone done something similar?
    blah blah blah

A waste of time it is is
    I would suggest you get a superflash

Cheaper and lighter than a MS, and I'm betting a heck of a light more reliable.

You don't want to find out your rear light has stopped working by being hit from behind

nocturnal oblivion
    I did just that with my MagicShine 900 (MJ-808). I put down two layers of vehicle brakelight repair tape. Works great, no problems with overheating (though I only use it on strobe). The helmet mount that comes with it can be flipped upside down and strapped between the seat rails, so the light sits up under the seat, and is quick disconnect for when you lock up the bike..
    It's VERY bright for a taillight, you have to do two layers of the tape or else you'll be pissing off drivers. I had a guy stop me at one point to ask where I got it.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

what a joke
    I will look for some tailight tape today and do some experimenting!
    blah blah blah

what a joke
    Went to the auto store and got some red taillight paint in a spray can. It looks very bright! Will see how good it is tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magicshine with red lens-msrear.jpg  

blah blah blah

nocturnal oblivion
    Looks like it'll be bright! If you drivers are honking and giving you the finger it means you should spray on another coat. (From experience).
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

what a joke
    WOW this thing is outrageously bright! Thanks for the headsup on using the helmet mount under the saddle stumblemumble. Allows the light to be aimed down so its not as offensive to those behind lol
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    WOW this thing is outrageously bright! Thanks for the headsup on using the helmet mount under the saddle stumblemumble. Allows the light to be aimed down so its not as offensive to those behind lol
    A good bet might be the baby magicshine, replace the white XPE with a red. Probably even brighter.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    A good bet might be the baby magicshine, replace the white XPE with a red. Probably even brighter.
    Baby magicshine, whats that?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Baby magicshine, whats that?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-838-...-2-18650-44965

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have two magicshine's that I bought for night trail riding.

I've been using one of the lights on my handle bar for commuting to work. I had been thinking of converting my 2nd magicshine into a rear tail light and when I found this thread it inspired me to do it.

I found a rear reflector that was almost the exact diameter as the light. I taped the reflector to the magicshine and mounted it to my seat as was suggested in this thread (with the helmet mount). The reflector diffuses the light quite well, I'll see how the reflector and tape hold up over time. Right I'm using two batteries, but I'm waiting for a Y-cable to be delivered so I can use just one battery at a time.
    " width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Either one of these lenses would work great with a single coat of red tail light paint:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magicshine with red lens-stacks_image_21_1.jpg  

Magicshine with red lens-stacks_image_14_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I lost my tail light a couple of weeks ago in a mtb night race and am currently using red eletrical tape over one the lens of my 3 chinese xm-ls lights I use and shifting it to the back of the bike when I need to ride on the road. Keep the roll of electrical tape in my back pack and it works fine. Use 2 layers if running at 10% power and 3 layers if using flash which runs at 100%. Good for traffic directly behind you but may not be as noticeable for traffic that is side on.

what a joke
    The best solution would be a clip on red cover that was about 2" deep that allowed the light to shine out the side as well as out the rear. That way it would allow traffic in side streets to see you as well as giving the ability to clip the cover off and use the light as a head light.

My mates hate riding behind me now!
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    yes like Ay Up saxon caps http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/37/

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by dereknz View Post
    yes like Ay Up saxon caps http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/37/
    Thats it!
    What is the diameter on those? Would they fit over a MS?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/recharg...5mw-90117#open full view they allso just released some 1400 and 1600 lumen headlights... i love magic shine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Something like this is what you need to give it all-around visibility (I think).

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SQU...tton-Cap-5B463

This one's 30 mm,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Something like this is what you need to give it all-around visibility (I think).

SQUARE D Pushbutton Cap, 30 Mm - Pushbutton Accessories - 5B463|9001R7 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This one's 30 mm,
    Interesting...That's about the size that might fit perfectly over a 501B torch host.

Members who have read this thread: 0