Magicshine MJ808- Mtbr.com
    A mean teen...
    Feb 2007

Magicshine MJ808

Hi all,

UK user here so information/circumstances may be different...

Anywho, I have been thinking of buying a Magicshine light again and have noticed there is a recall out on GeoManGear for faulty batteries and how to identify them.

This seller on eBay appears to be selling Magicshines with the current faulty battery (from what I can see in the picture). I have contacted them to ask whether the light contains the faulty battery, but if it does contain the faulty battery what can I do from there??
    Hardtail - A bike that is ridden by people who know how to pick lines, rather than plow through stuff.

ride for fun
    I would spend a little more and get a light from one of the vendors on here that will stand behind the light.

people selling them on ebay will most likely have the same exact battery that has been recalled.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Technically the only batteries that have been recalled as faulty are those sold by Geomangear and the associated Single Track store. It would appear that was based on 3 reported incidents in relation to 20,000 units sold

The manufacturer has never agreed that the batteries were faulty and they have continued selling them through many sources worldwide.

Yes I expect that the battery is precisely the same as that recalled by geomangear as faulty, but I expect that the re-seller will come back with a response along the lines of "their" battery not being faulty.

The problem is that you will have no way of knowing which is right - even on Geoman's figures of 3 in 20,000, the vast majority of users would accurately report no serious issues, which is why I refer to it as the chinese lottery.

The real objection I have is that, assuming my math's is correct, the price is something around 50% more than you would pay if you went to another seller, such as deal extreme. I figure if I am going to buy a cheap chinese light, I would like it to be as cheap as possible.

Your choices would appear to be either
    • buy a light with known issues & take steps to reduce your risk with respect to charging & monitorung the condition of the battery. Be especially careful to ensure the battery does not get wet.
    • buy a light from a better quality manufacturer, there are a host to choose from including scar's ameoba, baja designs striker, anything from Troutie or an outrageously priced lupine
    • make your own light.

Me? I chose to buy a cheap chinese light with known quality issues. I bought a variant that had a well waterproofed battery, a spare Lipo battery, a hobby charger & modified the battery so I could monitor the condition of the batteries in series. My next light though is likely to be assembled by me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon-RSX View Post
    Hi all,

UK user here so information/circumstances may be different...

Anywho, I have been thinking of buying a Magicshine light again and have noticed there is a recall out on GeoManGear for faulty batteries and how to identify them.

This seller on eBay appears to be selling Magicshines with the current faulty battery (from what I can see in the picture). I have contacted them to ask whether the light contains the faulty battery, but if it does contain the faulty battery what can I do from there??
    Don't buy into the paranoia some of us Yanks have with the MS battery. Truly it is really not worth losing sleep over. If you were to worry about something you might be more worried about how it might hold up to the rainy climate you have over there. If you do buy one probably best to buy from a UK dealer so you aren't dealing with paying for all the tax for an imported product. Sad that you blokes have to deal with that but I guess that's just the way things turn out. Now if buying in or outside the country makes no difference in the price than go with what makes the most sense. Generally speaking though, it is usually best to buy from a local vendor that will back the product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Why not just by a bikeray III and have a better light AND battery. They are so good I have 2 of them

You have a choice of UK sellers, both of whom have good service and delevery

try lightslightslights co uk
    or bikeray co uk

Heck you can even buy a magicusedtoshine from the first
    Last edited by madmole; 07-18-2011 at 03:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Apologies, double post
    Last edited by madmole; 07-18-2011 at 03:04 AM.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Why not just by a bikeray III and have a better light AND battery. They are so good I have 2 of them

You have a choice of UK sellers, bith of whom have good service and delevery

try lightslightslights or bikeray

Heck you can even buy a magicusedtoshine from the first
    Just checked out the bikeray III and it looks better for an extra 40. Time to start saving!
    Hardtail - A bike that is ridden by people who know how to pick lines, rather than plow through stuff.

ride for fun
    you can get a magicshine from Geomangear and be assured it has a good battery and warrantee, or a Bikeray Ray2 which is similar for around the same price.

I have a couple magicshines from geoman and a ray2 from bikerayusa, and have had good customer service from both.

IMO those are both good helmet lights, the ray3 and 4 look like good lights for the bars since they are more of a flood than a spot beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.