MagicShine MJ-808 vs NiteRider 600 Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

MagicShine MJ-808 vs NiteRider 600 Pro

I have a NR 600 Pro which I run on my bars, I know how much I paid and I'm not looking for a debate. What I am looking for, is a nice helmet flood (for less than $500,haha) that will complement the spot of my bar light. I've looked at the beam comparisons and the specs, but I'm hoping for some input from somebody who has actually seen both MJ-808 & 600 Pro beam patterns with their own two eyes. My trail illumination is fine, I'm wanting more flood at my front wheel for picking through tech, and the MagicShine looks as it may just fill the bill. Thanks.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Magicshine would work fine if you cover the lens with scotch tape.
    Beam pattern without tape is similar to the Pro 600, sort of spotty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    I have a NR 600 Pro which I run on my bars, I know how much I paid and I'm not looking for a debate. What I am looking for, is a nice helmet flood (for less than $500,haha) that will complement the spot of my bar light. I've looked at the beam comparisons and the specs, but I'm hoping for some input from somebody who has actually seen both MJ-808 & 600 Pro beam patterns with their own two eyes. My trail illumination is fine, I'm wanting more flood at my front wheel for picking through tech, and the MagicShine looks as it may just fill the bill. Thanks.
    You should also try the flood on the bar and spot on the helmet. Most folks like that combination better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    You should also try the flood on the bar and spot on the helmet. Most folks like that combination better.

I concur. I also agree with odtexas that the MS is kinda spotty (really wish they'd offer a diffused lense to even out the light), but with that said, there is a ton of spill.

mtbr member
    I may be a little biased, but...Baja Designs makes a system called the Strykr that comes with both a spot and wide angle lens that can be changed out depending on your riding conditions. I personally prefer the wide angle lens, it is very smooth and very wide, to the point where I don't feel the need to run a helmet system unless the trail is very technical. The system is an honest 700 Lumens and according to the MTBR.com test puts out 52 Lux.

Honestly it is not the lightest (or heaviest) system out there at 502g total system weight but as MTBR put it in their most resent LED light test, our Strykr is "rugged, rugged, rugged, dependable". Zumwalt's Cyclery here in San Diego has them in stock and can give you a little more info/opinion if you'd like. We are actually doing a night ride with them tonight out at Mission Trails if you'd like to see the Strykr in action or test one for yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0