Magicshine Lights Announcement - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any thoughts on offering a battery with a few more cells? Maybe something to use with the brighter lights?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Any thoughts on offering a battery with a few more cells? Maybe something to use with the brighter lights?
    Two packs w/ 'Y' cable
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Geo Man got back to me and anwered my questions. Can't ask for more than that.

In the mean time I'm going to try to not burn down the garage.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's the difference between being a profit focused corporation and a customer focused small business owner. Yes, I might have possibly saved a few bucks by buying from DX when the light came out but I'd rather do business with someone that stands behind his product. Sometimes the lowest price really isn't cheaper in the long run.

aka DummyDiva
    I haven't heard any announcements but I just purchased a new 818 from Nova bikes in IL that states its a "new and improved light," with new battery supplier, UL and CE approved with a 6 month warranty serviced in IL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You have a URL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboygrrl
    I haven't heard any announcements but I just purchased a new 818 from Nova bikes in IL that states its a "new and improved light," with new battery supplier, UL and CE approved with a 6 month warranty serviced in IL.
    Take a look at the thread. They are fake or out of date certifications. Not the cells they were certified with, etc.
    "It looks flexy"

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Take a look at the thread. They are fake or out of date certifications. Not the cells they were certified with, etc.
    I did read this thread.....but saw NO mention of "fakes." I guess I'll have to take my chances (already purchased) this is a reputable dealer, warranty, and that it is in fact a new battery. Hopefully I won't be the ONE in 10,000 (or whatever the statistic was). I may have to buy one of Geoman's replacements.
    Last edited by cowboygrrl; 01-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think what gticlay means is that the UL certification was expired and for LG cells. By fake, I think meant that the packs didn't contain LG cells. Perhaps...

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    I think what gticlay means is that the UL certification was expired and for LG cells. By fake, I think meant that the packs didn't contain LG cells. Perhaps...
    LG?

mtbr member
    LG?
    Lucky Goldstar, the Korean electronics giant, that amongst many other things also manufactures batteries.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    GM- WOW! Thanks for the update and work behind the scene to get this done. I've got like 35 rides in this past summer w/ my MS and have seen some stuff... oowiee, I've seen some stuff. Great fun. I will and have recommended you to friends...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Though on a serious note, ... you Americans should be building and selling your own lights..

Or you like us will be a 3rd world country come 2030...

No, that's not phonetic
    The US is still the largest manufacturing nation on earth. The problem is that a lot of production is automated (aka robots) so the only way to 'make stuff' using people would be to become a 3rd world country again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    cowboygrrl, my [limited] understanding of batteries is that LG, Sanyo, Panasonic, and Sony make the best quality 18650 cells.

You can read more about the expired UL certification and false LG battery claim at Geoman's recall page, #4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9speed
    Though on a serious note, ... you Americans should be building and selling your own lights..

Or you like us will be a 3rd world country come 2030...
    You can't seriously think the fate of the US economy lies with the bike light industry. My understanding is that "Energy" and natural resources are the life's blood of the US economy. If we can find good, reliable and cheap renewable energy resources we should be good. It might take another depression ( or near depression ) for that to happen but than again who really knows the future.. Once again, a little off subject.

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar.jensen
    Lucky Goldstar, the Korean electronics giant, that amongst many other things also manufactures batteries.
    I have emailed the vendor with my concerns but have yet to hear from them. I sent that off yesterday; over the weekend, so hopefully they will respond Mon.

The light is supposed to arrive tomorrow. How would one check to see if the "appropriate" battery cell is included? And thanks, all, for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    You can't seriously think the fate of the US economy lies with the bike light industry. My understanding is that "Energy" and natural resources are the life's blood of the US economy. If we can find good, reliable and cheap renewable energy resources we should be good. It might take another depression ( or near depression ) for that to happen but than again who really knows the future.. Once again, a little off subject.
    Not off subject really... for here I am laughing at just how cheap some of you yanks are...

I never said the fate of the US, or European manufacture lay in the hands of the bike light industry for clearly that would be a dumb thing to suggest. Even dumber to suggest that was my argument.

My argument is that you have good value home grown talent by the likes of Baja, a luxury we don't really have in the UK... and yet you yanks, still comparatively rich, continue to go for the cheapest far-eastern option... Now I love my little magicshine, but if I could afford a Hope or USE I'd buy one. Yet there you are in the states with a very affordable mostly American Baja. And here you are bleating for page after page about a battery for a light that is worth the price for the lighthead alone...

Depressions are always deliberate. You'd have to bother to understand fractional reserve banking to get that one.

mtbr member
    Not off subject really... for here I am laughing at just how cheap some of you yanks are...

I never said the fate of the US, or European manufacture lay in the hands of the bike light industry for clearly that would be a dumb thing to suggest. Even dumber to suggest that was my argument however.

My argument is that you have good value home grown talent by the likes of Baja, a luxury we don't really have in the UK... and yet you yanks, still comparitively rich, continue to go for the cheapest option... Now I love my little magicshine, but if I could afford a Hope I'd buy one. Yet there you are in the states with a very affordable Baja. It's embarrassing really. And very very cheap....

Depressions are always deliberate. You'd have to bother to understand fractional reserve banking to get that one.
    You need to talk to Troutie.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    9speed likes a good fight.

mtbr member
    9speed likes a good fight.
    Ya think?

9speed said:
    for here I am laughing at just how cheap some of you yanks are...
    I never laugh at anyone trying to save some bucks. I don't laugh at any one spending $700 for a bike light. Not everyone living in the U.S. believes in the " got to be made in America idea". Not everyone living in America makes the big bucks. Look at what cars we drive ( and who makes them ) and you would see that.

Personally I'm considering buying the Firefly made by Light and go. Now if Dinotte had put an XP-G in one of their 200L light engines ( making it a 300L+ ) I would of been on that like flies on ****. The U.S. bike light industry has been real slow when it comes to using the newer LED technology. Finally that is beginning to change. New U.S made systems using P-7's and XP-Gs are forthcoming. Price though will continue to be a deciding factor in any purchase. ( Unless you make the big bucks or you have a wife that doesn't care.. )

I don't think you can fault Americans for being cheap because they buy cheap Chinese made merchandise if no one else is offering an alternative that is competitive in price. That is starting to change. It just took a wake-up call from the Chinese to let all others know that bikes lights can be made cheap and still work.

Now that I think about it, there are probably a lot of people in the UK that own MS's as well. I would never call them "cheap" for doing so but then again I don't criticize how other people spend their own money when it comes to stuff like this.

mtbr member

My argument is that you have good value home grown talent by the likes of Baja, a luxury we don't really have in the UK... and yet you yanks, still comparatively rich, continue to go for the cheapest far-eastern option... Now I love my little magicshine, but if I could afford a Hope or USE I'd buy one. Yet there you are in the states with a very affordable mostly American Baja. And here you are bleating for page after page about a battery for a light that is worth the price for the lighthead alone...

I it find funny that you use Baja Designs as an example. Just to set the record straight, their lights are made in China. I know because I have one and that is what the little sticker says on the bottom. Also, the UK has some very good lights available, you need to look no father then Exposure Lights. As an added bonus, they are actually made in the UK,
    Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 01-30-2011 at 10:17 PM.

aka DummyDiva
    Here's a question for Geoman. I fell for the new MS light being sold on ebay (Nova Bike LIghts) last week*. Your recall doesn't show proof these "new"battery packs are unsafe. You do say they're not LG cells.

There must be some kind of serial #/identification on the battery pack to determine if it is a LG battery. And if it's not an LG battery, is the issue it also may not be safe with the MG light?. And why wouldn't it be safe? I read about certification dates, but how serious of an issure is that? Sorry I'm no electrician, so I need some help here.

Also can consumers report these vendors who are selling batteries to the US Safety Commission; assuming the battery packs they are distributing are somehow fraudulent/unsafe? How about reporting them to EBay?

*read this whole thread but somehow missed the recall page and "fake" sales

mtbr member
    Here's a question for Geoman. I fell for the new MS light being sold on ebay (Nova Bike LIghts) last week*. Your recall doesn't show proof these "new"battery packs are unsafe. You do say they're not LG cells.

There must be some kind of serial #/identification on the battery pack to determine if it is a LG battery. And if it's not an LG battery, is the issue it also may not be safe with the MG light?. And why wouldn't it be safe? I read about certification dates, but how serious of an issure is that? Sorry I'm no electrician, so I need some help here.

Also can consumers report these vendors who are selling batteries to the US Safety Commission; assuming the battery packs they are distributing are somehow fraudulent/unsafe? How about reporting them to EBay?

You do what you want to. Geoman is taking care of his customers. He feels they need a new battery pack to use the light safely. That's it. You choose what you want to do.

I guarantee it's not an LG battery. If it is, bring it to me and I'll eat it (kidding!). The ones that Geoman has tested for his customers didn't work properly - if they did, I really don't think he would have gone through all the trouble! Sometimes they die, sometimes they work OK, sometimes they catch on fire. Roll the dice if you want to.
    "It looks flexy"

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    You do what you want to. Geoman is taking care of his customers. He feels they need a new battery pack to use the light safely. That's it. You choose what you want to do.

I guarantee it's not an LG battery. If it is, bring it to me and I'll eat it (kidding!). The ones that Geoman has tested for his customers didn't work properly - if they did, I really don't think he would have gone through all the trouble! Sometimes they die, sometimes they work OK, sometimes they catch on fire. Roll the dice if you want to.
    I believe you've missed my point. I'm not questioning Geoman; I find his actions regarding this situation commendable. I wish I had bought this light from him. I'm asking Geoman this question, "When I receive my light, how can I tell if it is, or is not an LG cell? If it's not, how would I know it's unsafe, how would I determine if the certification is outdated, etc. If it's not a LG cell, why would it be unsafe, and if it is a fraudulent/unsafe battery, is there a way I can report it to the US Safety Commision?

I am asking about the technical/scientific/electrical facts here. I am not on this forum to have a rhetorical discussion with you about the right thing to do.

mtbr member

Cowboygrrl, My advice is not to stress out on the problems of others. Your vendor claims the batteries he is selling are new. If you have a problem with the battery or light set I suggest contacting the EBay vendor. If the light works, use it and enjoy. Use what safety precautions you feel necessary when charging. Never store the battery in a hot area. It isn't important whither or not the cells on the new battery are LG cells. What is important is that the battery you have is working properly. If you are getting the expected run times that is a good sign. There is really no way to know for sure how good your battery pack is unless you have some technical background and are willing to tear the pack apart to do the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
    I it find funny that you use Baja Designs as an example. Just to set the record straight, their lights are made in China. I know because I have one and that is what the little sticker says on the bottom.
    Dang, is that true? Can anyone else confirm that? I thought for sure they were made in the U.S.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 01-31-2011 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I thought they were US made also...

I still stand by what I said though, without manufacture you and we are nothing. There is no real wealth without manufacture. Just cos we can buy all this cheap Chinese ****, doesn't mean we should.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I thought they were US made also...

I still stand by what I said though, without manufacture you and we are nothing. There is no real wealth without manufacture. Just cos we can buy all this cheap Chinese ****, doesn't mean we should.......
    That is just so not true.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    That is just so not true.

J.
    It is THE truth. America will be 2nd world by 2020...

You don't have a right to say what is SO not true (are you from an episode of the OC?). You're 15.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, it isn't.

I so wish I was 15 but that was many, many moons ago. Now I run an international business that is in the manufacturing sector.

It's all about the intellectual property and retained earnings. We don't need to have actual manufacturing to generate real wealth as a society. We do, however, need to create and innovate - I suppose you could twist that to say that we are "manufacturing IP" though. Does that mean you can make $80K with a high school education wrenching as unskilled labor in a car factory? No. Those days are gone. You can, however, make the same bucks but you need more education. And, incidentally, that is no different that when you could do well with only a grade school education decades before that, which incidentally, the "manufacturing age" wiped that out.

it also might interest you to know that the US is the world largest manufacturing country. We are also one of the most automated.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    No, it isn't.

I so wish I was 15 but that was many, many moons ago. Now I run an international business that is in the manufacturing sector.

It's all about the intellectual property and retained earnings. We don't need to have actual manufacturing to generate real wealth as a society. We do, however, need to create and innovate - I suppose you could twist that to say that we are "manufacturing IP" though. Does that mean you can make $80K with a high school education wrenching as unskilled labor in a car factory? No. Those days are gone. You can, however, make the same bucks but you need more education. And, incidentally, that is no different that when you could do well with only a grade school education decades before that, which incidentally, the "manufacturing age" wiped that out.

it also might interest you to know that the US is the world largest manufacturing country. We are also one of the most automated.

J.
    I am going to have to disagree with the notion that IP alone is going to generate wealth. the truth is that IP dose not exist to China. The MS light is a perfect example. It is a knock off of a Lupine. Any product that they decide to copy, they can and do. Also, the thought that education is going to create wealth is wrong..Every year more engineering jobs are shipped over seas. I have watched this first hand in our local area where computers were manufactured..Almost all the jobs including middle management and engineering have been out sourced off shore. Sure, they have some IP for now, but that won't last forever and it certainly does not even come close to offsetting the thousands of manufacturing that were lost.

mtbr member
    WOW and I thought this thread was about Magicshine lights
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You don't have a right to say what is SO not true (are you from an episode of the OC?). You're 15.
    The OC Rockxerz my boxers!

OK, back to Magicshine...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Dang, is that true? Can anyone else confirm that? I thought for sure they were made in the U.S.
    Confirmed... Mine was designed in the USA but made in China.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
    I am going to have to disagree with the notion that IP alone is going to generate wealth. the truth is that IP dose not exist to China. The MS light is a perfect example. It is a knock off of a Lupine. Any product that they decide to copy, they can and do. Also, the thought that education is going to create wealth is wrong..Every year more engineering jobs are shipped over seas. I have watched this first hand in our local area where computers were manufactured..Almost all the jobs including middle management and engineering have been out sourced off shore. Sure, they have some IP for now, but that won't last forever and it certainly does not even come close to offsetting the thousands of manufacturing that were lost.
    But do the factory workers in China make a good wage? Can a global economy support high wages for factory labor? Do we really want our economy supported by that kind of job?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    But do the factory workers in China make a good wage? Can a global economy support high wages for factory labor? Do we really want our economy supported by that kind of job?
    What is a global economy?

Your economy of the last 15 years has largely been supported by house prices. Do you want your economy 'supported' by debt creation?

There is no wealth without manufacture.

So much ignorance... you deserve your fall into 3rd world status...

Say hello to the new empire.. say hello to China. Say a prolonged goodbye to your wealth America... your golden era (fuelled by manufacturing) has been and gone.

mtbr member
    My point is simply this, we cannot continue to lose good paying jobs and expect the US economy to be healthy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is it possible to stray back onto the topic directly related to the solutions for the batteries, and updates therein?

The debate on world manufacturing can go on for decades, but this is not the thread for it.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo
    Is it possible to stray back onto the topic directly related to the solutions for the batteries, and updates therein?

The debate on world manufacturing can go on for decades, but this is not the thread for it.

D
    I'm fine with that!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo

D
    Yes, yes...by all means I agree as well. ... however.... First I have to go outside and bow to the East towards my new Masters...Those blessed makers of the Best Selling MTB Light Ever Made....Oh Masters, we are not worthy, we are not worthy... ( * What the hell, if you can't beat um', join um'... ) ...and by golly wouldn't you know, I'm back on topic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0