Magicshine Charger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Magicshine Charger

How do I know when a battery is fully charged? My battery has been charging for 14 hrs now but the light on the charger is still red, not sure how long it usually takes to fully charge the battery. Is it supposed to change to a diffrent colour when fully charged? My set didnt come with a manual so Im not sure whats going on. Thanks.

mtbr member
    It should turn green when charging is complete.
    14 hours seems much too long, mine takes at most 4-5 hours from completely discharged.
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 07-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks.

Rolling
    That's too long. Can you check the voltage on the charger? Or the light? After the 14 hrs, does it run the lamp ok? Was the pack warm?

Doesn't sound right though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I haven't checked the voltage yet, but I think its the charger thats the prob. The lamp runs fine and powerfuly and the battery has around 3 hr life which is the norm I think. Pretty much all I do is charge it for 4 hrs regardless of the red light on the charger. Im still happy!

GeoMan
    Please contact us on [email protected] we'll replace that charger for you whether you purchased it from us or another vendor. It should definitely change to green within 4 hours even if the battery was completely depleted prior to charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandirigma
    I haven't checked the voltage yet, but I think its the charger thats the prob. The lamp runs fine and powerfuly and the battery has around 3 hr life which is the norm I think. Pretty much all I do is charge it for 4 hrs regardless of the red light on the charger. Im still happy!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have been looking at Li-ion charger technology much longer than any mortal should do with our limited lifespan.

I had ordered a MS900 and noted that the QC with the LED offset from the mounting points was very poor and the recommendation was to remove the battery ASAP after the green light appears. Better charging system don't demand that. And even the MS battery is $50- over 1/2 the total system cost. I am willing to think something out once, then I go into my absent mind/forgetfulness mode. In other words, leaving on a charger for day/weeks is high probability.

It got me started on some research, since I was at first thinking I would just buy a better charger. But not that simply and then all the cables issues/etc.

However, I decided to go with the Lupine system and found they do li-ion charging right. Apparently Secca does also, since they terminate properly and do not require you to remove the battery. They both claim to totally shut down after charging to not damage the battery and risk fire/explosions. This is the key/important point that most chargers just skip. And most time, you get away with it, since you remove from charger quickly.

One would thing with today cheap processor any charger over $10 would just do it right. Apparently not, And I found out that the only 'correct way" to charge Li-Ion is the CC/CV mode. Over at CandePower Forum, there are extensive threads about testing of chargers just for this issue. Only a handful "do it right" much to my surprise.

Bike chargers seem to be even in general even have a lower focus on battery technology, since the 'light" is the deal. But a few companies do put a focus on it. And you pay at least a $100+ for these better chargers and their batteries cost more too. No free lunch here- pay me now or later model. Heck, even the Secca charger at $150 is higher priced that the similar charger from Lupine. Not a lot of choices- get a cheap light with a cheaper charger and probably pay for it over time in damaged batteries. At least, outside of the name brand chargers in the more standard li-ion flashlight world, you can get one for around $50.

And on your charging problem, it is known that some of the less intelligent chargers can miss the termination points completely especially if the battery is almost charged already.

Bet if you ran your battery down and recharged it would work. Not all that uncommon, but very dangerous for Li-ion. I had even had it happen on AA rechargeable batteries until I got a Maha 9000 charger.
    Last edited by skoor; 08-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Yep, My Lupine Charge One allows you to specify the max charge capacity, if you want to use that function. I did.

But if one just uses a shut-off timer is there some self discharge just be because of the circuits still connected? I looked a the chip data sheets used in some of the XATR WP6 and PILA IBC chargers (I have both, but these are for more flashlight batteries, but should be same issue) and they talked about this design issue at little and how to handle it.

But I suppose a slightly drained battery if better any day than an exploding one..

Members who have read this thread: 0