MagicShine 'bulb' replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

MagicShine 'bulb' replacement

Looks like my Shine crapped out last night. Not sure if it's the bulb or a connection, as even plugged in to a different battery it doesn't work.
    I'm not sure the bulb is changeable, and even if it is, don't see where I can buy a new one.
    Any advice? that is, is the bulb replaceable?
    Where can I get one?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Barry

One Gear
    It has an LED emitter, not a bulb. You would have to de-solder the old one and solder in a new LED. Look in the DIY forum and search for magicshine deconstructed. It should have good photos of the inside of the light.

I'd check to see if the LED has voltage at the terminal of the emitter first. The wiring could have failed or the driver could have died.

good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hah! Yes, I am using the term 'bulb' very loosely
    What's weird is the light doesn't work with my other battery, and the other (working) light doesn't work with the battery from the light that went out
    Can both light and battery crap out simultaneously? It's the first time I've used them since buying them from a guy on MTBR, and it worked fine when I got it, I ran the battery down to full discharge and recharged and the light was good for 20 minutes last night, then blackness ensued.
    For what I paid, it's no big deal to replace, I suppose, but I do like to try to find the cause of the problem.
    Thanks for the response.
    Cheers
    Barry

just a Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryGXNZ View Post
    Hah! Yes, I am using the term 'bulb' very loosely
    What's weird is the light doesn't work with my other battery, and the other (working) light doesn't work with the battery from the light that went out
    Can both light and battery crap out simultaneously? It's the first time I've used them since buying them from a guy on MTBR, and it worked fine when I got it, I ran the battery down to full discharge and recharged and the light was good for 20 minutes last night, then blackness ensued.
    For what I paid, it's no big deal to replace, I suppose, but I do like to try to find the cause of the problem.
    Thanks for the response.
    Cheers
    Barry
    The lighthead unit may had shorted out and trip the battery pack PCB and that's why the battery pack will not work with the other working lighthead unit. You can try plugging in the charger to the questionable pack and see if that reset the PCB on the pack and test it with a working light. If that does not work, then that pack PCB maybe damage.

Remove the bezel and the reflector from the light. Then depending on the model of the light, there should be a ring with two hole that can be unscrew. It might be very tight becasue there might be some thermal paste stuck to the thread. After removing the ring, you should see two wires solder to the Star emitter. You can try checking voltage at the these two wires. If no voltage is detected, then you will need to desolder the Star and get into the driver to see if a wire is broken or if it something else.

This is about as far as I have torn into a Magicshine P7.

mtbr member
    Cheers
    Barry
    Are you sure you're using the correct battery for each light?

The magicshines and the copies usually use slightly different connectors and even if they fit together (some don't) they don't make proper contact.

Tim

mtbr member
    there are a whole bunch of Magicshine repair threads in the DIY section, you should get plenty of ideas there. My guess would be the driver or a short in the cable/plug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, all!
    I'm sure they're the right batteries, as they both work(ed) fine, one still does.
    I'll dig into it further, see if the contacts are good.
    Also thanks for the direction to repair threads.
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Now confirmed that the battery does work, charged and lights up my other light just fine.
    I'm not sure about digging into the light, may just bag it and buy a new one. Then at least I'd have a spare battery.
    Thanks, all
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    A common fault in the spotlight batteries MJ-808 and MJ-808E is the battery connector, which blows or force-soldering. The solution is to open with a cutter and re-welded. Or ask for another battery. To prevent Magicshine sold as an accessory velcro to secure the cable to the bicycle frame.
    Looking for power lights?, see here

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Now confirmed that the battery does work, charged and lights up my other light just fine.
    I'm not sure about digging into the light, may just bag it and buy a new one. Then at least I'd have a spare battery.
    Thanks, all
    Cheers
    Barry
    Barry, if you're going to bag it, you may as well dig into a bit before tossing it, what have you got to lose, right?
    Could be something simple and obvious, like a loose wire. At least you may learn a thing or two about the innerds of a bike light, may help in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes, that's what I'll do - I can't break it any more!

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Barry, if you're going to bag it, you may as well dig into a bit before tossing it, what have you got to lose, right?
    Could be something simple and obvious, like a loose wire. At least you may learn a thing or two about the innerds of a bike light, may help in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 1