Magicshine battery recall from Single Track Store- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Magicshine battery recall from Single Track Store

I just got a letter from the Single Track Store about a battery recall for the MS light I bought from them a couple of years ago. What's the dealio? Anyone who got a light from Single Track get this letter too?

I didn't know it went out of business but kudos to them for taking care of their customers. (Hope it's not a scam.)

Ride Responsibly
    I got the letter from Geoman, need to send them in or take them to a battery drop and send the receipt. Reasonably sure it is not a scam.

mtbr member
    Its legit.
    The singletrackstore was run by the current owner of geomangear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes I got one too. I will send mine in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    its legit. they are actually close to my home so hand delivered the battery to them. they stated it would be at least a month to get a new battery. just thrilled since i thought i was sol with them going out of business.

mtbr member
    It's about a month now and no word despite having sent an -email out to them over 2 weeks ago.

Rollin 29s
    Got my personal claim # via e-mail from Geoman finally a few weeks ago, but have heard nothing about my Singletrackstore battery recall. I'm hoping I can upgrade both to the larger capacity battery.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Received my replacement battery from STS a week ago. Packaging was weak, battery was sent in one of those 9.5" x 7.5" bubble bags, grrrrr. Minor complaint, but props to STS for caring about its customers to send them a replacement battery. I would have never known about it if STS didn't send me a letter about the recall.

Okay, about the new battery. It looks different than the MagicShine battery that came in a small canvas pouch. For one, it's bigger and it doesn't not come with a bag or any sort of straps. Am I missing something? The battery says GEOMANGEAR on it, and there are two slots on either side of the battery that looks like a strap goes through. Anyone got the same battery as I do? What else did you get? Are charging instructions the same as the old MS battery? I just a battery with a sticker that says charge before using.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Received my replacement battery from STS a week ago. Packaging was weak, battery was sent in one of those 9.5" x 7.5" bubble bags, grrrrr. Minor complaint, but props to STS for caring about its customers to send them a replacement battery. I would have never known about it if STS didn't send me a letter about the recall.
    Props should go to Geoman - they supplied the replacement batteries. My replacement batts came directly from Geoman. It didn't have a charger but it came with nylon straps for the slots on the side of the battery - to strap it to your frame. Mine came in a cardboard box - sounds like STS stole your straps and repackaged the battery? Maybe they want to sell the straps as an accessory.

The charger that came with the original battery should work. When they originally announced the recall Geoman said to hold onto your original charger.

Geoman now sells their own battery on their website and they include it with Magicshine lights. It's not the same one they sent as replacements - the replacement battery they sent me is 4.5 Ah, the one they sell is 6.0 Ah:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...rojjmado1taue0

They also sell the charger for 10 bucks.

Here's the Geoman thread -

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=701284
    Last edited by ozz; 07-05-2011 at 02:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    Props should go to Geoman - they supplied the replacement batteries. My replacement batts came directly from Geoman. It didn't have a charger but it came with nylon straps for the slots on the side of the battery - to strap it to your frame. Mine came in a cardboard box - sounds like STS stole your straps and repackaged the battery? Maybe they want to sell the straps as an accessory.

The charger that came with the original battery should work. When they originally announced the recall Geoman said to hold onto your original charger.

Geoman now sells their own battery on their website and they include it with Magicshine lights. It's not the same one they sent as replacements - the replacement battery they sent me is 4.5 Ah, the one they sell is 6.0 Ah:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...rojjmado1taue0

They also sell the charger for 10 bucks.

Here's the Geoman thread -

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=701284
    I was just about to shoot STS an e-mail about the straps, but I decided to double check the plastic bag and sure enough, a velcro strap was inside! Good thing I didn't toss the bag out! Still wish they has delivered the battery in a box.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    I was just about to shoot STS an e-mail about the straps, but I decided to double check the plastic bag and sure enough, a velcro strap was inside! Good thing I didn't toss the bag out! Still wish they has delivered the battery in a box.
    Glad to hear they aren't shady

Members who have read this thread: 0