MagicShine Advice!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ... MagicShine Advice!!

To all you Magic Shine lovers,please be gentile.After months of praise from various threads i made my Magic Shine purchase to see what all the fuss was about.This is the sixth different light this past year as i've been recruting more night riders and selling some of my earlier purchases to them while upgrading.Maybe i fell victum to too much hype, but despite the very nice beam pattern and overall product presentation,this light isn't anywhere near as bright as i was expecting.The P7 emiter should produce somewhere around 600/700 lumens,not the 900 advertised.In comparison to some of my other lights i'm guessing this has 300/400 tops.My Triden X at 600 is brighter.The Wilma at only 30% setting, is aprox 330 lumens and is WAY!! brighter than the Magic Shine at full power.Am i missing something?(i know it's only a $90 light) But if i hadpurchased the Baja Stryker or Lupine Tesla and had similar outputs i'd be looking for a refund.Can't imagine the Wilma at 30% power been that much brighter than the Tesla on full.However at $90 there isn't anything out there even close in performance.Any Baja or Tesla owners out there to compare to Magic Shine outputs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have purchased 4 MS since they have come out.
    Mainly to take apart, its a DIY OCD thing.
    The older MS light had a greenish tint to them. The newer MS lights use a more white daylight to warm white rendition and appear brighter mainly due to the light color.
    White daylight, appears brighter than warm white, and cold white seems brighter than the white daylight.
    I build all my lights with WC, white cold, since it seems to give me the best throw and rendition. Personal choice. Many here like/prefer the warmer tints.
    I do have a Trion 600 and the original MS even with the greenish tints were as bright at the Trion.
    I have never seen a Lupine in person. So I am not sure what color binning they are using.
    Just saying comparing same output at different colors can greatly influence perception of brightness. The P7s are usually much warmer tints. If Lupine is running towards the WC end of the spectrum it would appear brighter to much brighter even at the same number of lumen output.
    Then there could just be an issue with your MS as well.
    Not all MS lights were created equal.
    The MS is a great light for the price and can rival the output of most mid level lighting systems for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
    It does probably suck though compared to a lupine, but my MS lights all run about equal to the Trion 600 or any of my Niterider HIDs.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I dunno about brightness, aint got no tools more'n my eyes....
    It seems to be on par with how my Enduro HID was, and side by side with a Tri newt it wasnt lacking.....

It is most definitely enough light for night riding here in Illinois. Even on Medium...

I

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Don't think there's anything wrong with the light as i havent even had it on long enought to get it warm,and all the settings are working just fine.Unless the driver is a bit week?All been said, it's bright enough to ride good single track on high setting and wouldn't be worth the bother to ship and exchange for another lamp head. Thanx for your feed back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Don't think there's anything wrong with the light as i havent even had it on long enought to get it warm,and all the settings are working just fine.Unless the driver is a bit week?All been said, it's bright enough to ride good single track on high setting and wouldn't be worth the bother to ship and exchange for another lamp head. Thanx for your feed back.
    Driver could be running a little weak. P7 could be a little cooked. Could just be color rendition doesn't agree with you.
    You can measure current with a multitester. But if it is lower that expected then what? Send it back. Not worht messing with as you mentioned. Think of it as a great loaner, back up, power loss emergency light.

Enjoy the Lupine.........

GeoMan
    If you got it from us we are more than happy to get a replacement lighthead out to you, it's no trouble at all, it should definitely appear brighter than your description here. Even if you didn't get it from us let us know if we can help. email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    If you got it from us we are more than happy to get a replacement lighthead out to you, it's no trouble at all, it should definitely appear brighter than your description here. Even if you didn't get it from us let us know if we can help. email [email protected]

Wow great service Geoman!!! Im not sure if any other company is surfing this site and backing up their products! Cant wait for my 1400 to arrive June 28!!!

mtbr member
    Well, I'm a gentile and will respond... killer offer from Geoman up above and I know why they think something must be wrong with your lighthead -- the MS900 is seriously bright when it works right.

I ride with mine alongside my buddy's TriNewt. The magicshine is brighter. It's also brighter than my old HID and halogen NightSuns... and costs less than a new battery pack for another lightset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Well, I'm a gentile and will respond... killer offer from Geoman up above and I know why they think something must be wrong with your lighthead -- the MS900 is seriously bright when it works right.

I ride with mine alongside my buddy's TriNewt. The magicshine is brighter. It's also brighter than my old HID and halogen NightSuns... and costs less than a new battery pack for another lightset.
    That is encouraging news,i think the TriNewt is as bright or brighter than the Triden X i had. And at one of the local bike shops the TriNewt is selling for $599.It's amaising how much things go up once they enter Canada.Well it's day twelve as Geoman is sending me a replacement lamp head and i think it's stuck in customs.Once it arrives i'll find out if i'm nutz or there realy is something wrong with the output of the original lamp head.CHEERS!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Driver could be running a little weak. P7 could be a little cooked. Could just be color rendition doesn't agree with you.
    You can measure current with a multitester. But if it is lower that expected then what? Send it back. Not worht messing with as you mentioned. Think of it as a great loaner, back up, power loss emergency light.

Enjoy the Lupine.........
    Thanx Odtexas for you feedback. Also would like to thank Geoman for sending me the replacement lamp head for comparison, great service!! Turns out i can't see any difference between the two lamp heads output.Did several comparisons using the hot spot of the MS against the Wilma at 30%power (330lumens)as the Triden X has a new home and couldn't be compared directly with it, but riding for a while with the two,the Triden X was for sure as bright as the Wilma at 30%,(could have had very similar color rendition).Side by side comparisons on the grass,bushes etc,not even the hot spot of the MS measured up.That been said,i noticed that the colour of the MS is MUCH warmer,and to me may be giving the impression of been less bright.Also the hallo is huge in comparison to the Wilma,and the diversification of the output also may be giving me the impression of less brightness.All been said,this is a fantastic light for the money,nothing out there can touch it in the price range,and you would have to spend 3x the money at least to get anything brighter. Thumbs up!! to Geoman for getting this product to market so many moutain bikers that otherwise couln't afford to night ride,now can.CHEERS!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    First unhappy purchaser of the product we've come across. Faulty battery maybe or perhaps the lighthead itself. Don't give up on the brand though, it's a fantastic product - honest!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by www.magicshineuk.co.uk
    First unhappy purchaser of the product we've come across. Faulty battery maybe or perhaps the lighthead itself. Don't give up on the brand though, it's a fantastic product - honest!
    I'm not unhappy with the purchase at all !!! Like i had stated in my previouse comments,you would have to spend 3X the money before you would get anything brighter that i'm aware of.First impression i was a little dissapointed as it just didn't appear that bright to me, I think i was expecting to much after all the praise this product was getting,and the color rendition i think just isn't agreeing with me.This would be one of only two choices i would recomened to anyone on a budget wanting to get into night riding,the other would be 500L by Trailled.I know i've probably upset a few MS owners on this forum by my opinion but that wasn't my objective at all. I'm no Francios,but i have had the opportunity to compare aprox 10 different systems in the past nine months on the trails,and that included several that were more expensive than the MS and didnt match up. Could also fall in the catagory of been spoiled by the Lupines.CHEERS!!

Members who have read this thread: 0