MagicShine 900 Series II Battery vs. Original Preference?- Mtbr.com
    N8G
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. MagicShine 900 Series II Battery vs. Original Preference?

I have some questions for those of you have experience with both the original MS battery vs. the series II.

First, I was wondering which you like better and why. From what I have read the original is lighter and more compact so it can fit in a jeresey pocket better if you aren't wearing a hydro pack, but the updated version is more weather sealed but bulkier. Too big for a jersey?

And second, is there any difference in the batteries themselves or output capabilites?

The reason I ask is that my local club has some of the older kits available for $82 with a helmet mount I could pickup, but I wouldn't mind spending a little extra to get the newer battery pack if it is worth it.

mtbr member
    I have the older model and a friend of mine has the new model which is definitely more waterproof and better-looking. The newer one isn't that much larger and would still fit in a jersey pocket. You can jettison the neoprene outside cover as well and just have the can in the pocket. FWIW though, the old battery pack is easily sealed up with electrical tape or plasti-dip.
    "Got everything you need?"

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    New style rocks!

Like TwoHeads said.. I ditch the cover and drop it in a jersey pocket. The weight difference isn't noticable at all.

I have the old style that came with my MJ-818 taillight, I need to dip that one before too much longer.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    I have both;
    It's really 6 of one or 1/2 dozen of the other....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Since I don't ride in the rain, waterproofing isn't a concern for me, so I like my original style battery more then the new style (I don't have a new style, but several riding partners do). I just think it's too bulky.

Grab the deal from your club and just plastic-dip it if you need it to be watertight.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Is the battery plug compatible with other batteries in case I want to swap for something more flat?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Members who have read this thread: 0