Magicshine 900 replacement battery help- Mtbr.com
    Rod
    mtbr member

Magicshine 900 replacement battery help

I'm new to this so I could use a little guidance.

I found a 5800 mah panasonic battery on ebay. I'm not certain if it's the correct battery. Panasonic LiIon Battery Pack 7 4V 5800mAh for MagicShine LED Bike Light NCR 2S2P | eBay

I also found this battery pack on deal extreme. FandyFire Rechargeable 8.4V 4400mAh 18650 Battery Pack for Bike Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Is the panasonic pack the correct pack?

If so, is it worth 3 times the cost?

Do I need to look anywhere else?

I only ride 1-2 hours at night. My current batteries are starting to struggle to last an hour on high.

Thanks in advance.

Candlestick Maker
    The hunk lee battery appears like it would work and is labelled as a battery for Magicshines. The other one could be and probably is a total piece of junk. Lots of threads about cheap vs good batteries.

Check out this thread for some info:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nd-997165.html
    baker

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The batteries mentioned in this thread is probably your best option: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ce-995303.html

Also the hunk lee might not be the right connector

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan89 View Post
    Also the hunk lee might not be the right connector
    I believe those connectors with external threads still work with Magicshine light heads. The male connector on the light head just slides in, but cannot be screwed on since it doesn't have that part. I use the external threaded battery connectors interchangeably...

Oh yeah, I've also ordered 2 of the batteries listed above at Kaidomain. It's been a few weeks and I expect to be a few more before they arrive and I can check them out.
    baker

Rod
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm leery of deals that seem too good to be true. I was curious if there was a passionate following for cheap batteries similar to the cheap chinese carbon frames. It appears that I've struck out. I would rather purchase a quality product that would last for years. I can't complain since my lights are 4 or 5 years old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Good cells simply cost at least $7 each in individual quantities. So don't buy any 4-cell pack that is less than $30.

Someone bought every cell under $6 cell on eBay and tested them for capacity, and 100% of them didn't make 70% of their claimed capacity.

Don't be tempted by low prices. They are not real.

I would get that Panasonic one unless you can find one on Amazon or one already in the US.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The pack at kaidomain is legit - has been taken apart and tested so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan89 View Post
    The pack at kaidomain is legit - has been taken apart and tested so I don't think you have much to worry about.
    Good to hear. Mods you can close this.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Good cells simply cost at least $7 each in individual quantities. So don't buy any 4-cell pack that is less than $30.

Someone bought every cell under $6 cell on eBay and tested them for capacity, and 100% of them didn't make 70% of their claimed capacity.

Don't be tempted by low prices. They are not real.

I would get that Panasonic one unless you can find one on Amazon or one already in the US.

Those confirmed 4 cell Panasonics on kaidomain and gearbest are tested, opened and confirmed. Under $30. Just as good as any other Panasonic battery pack at 1/2 the cost.

Stay away from random Chinese battery packs. Had a new post not long ago of yet another person practically loosing their house because protection circuit failed while using a cheap charger. And never have decent capacity, no where near rated capacity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    GearBest does not exist. It is dead to me. But yeah, I believe that pack is good if you can find a way to get it. But really, free from GearBest is only mildly better than $35 from a legit source. If something were $30 from GearBest or $60 from Amazon, then I would go Amazon.

RAKC
    Gearbest has had some issues (though nitefighter was more to blame) recently ill give you that. But id rather save $$$ (actually Panasonic celled packs start at $100ish anywhere else) and wait. That's extra money in my pocket for other things. Ya how that whole mess was handled by gearbest was total bs and your mindset now is more than well justified.

however, its easy for someone like you that can just drop the cash and not flinch to buy your 906 and Duo. It took me a few months and a good bonus check to pay for a $1000 fat bike. God knows hoe long it would take me to save for a set of good lights, especially with my knowledge and ability to build my own (and wife knows it, so she would kill me)

But that's why I have always been a DIY person. Grew up without money, we make enough to be comfortable, but alot of that is making sure our boys dont miss out on life growing up like I did. Work with funds I have, make,mod whatever as cheap as possible while doing the job to what I want and being reliable.

Like I said, your right with what happened, but many like me just can't drop that kind of cash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nowdays, ultimately, it is hard to get ripped off due to credit-card and PayPal guarantees. So your point is valid. In the end, it may take a while, but you will either get your item or your money back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Look what I just scored from REI - Night Rider Pro Race 1400 for $44 (someone returned it so they put it in the "garage sale" section). It was missing one 4mm screw on the mount, which I replaced. Now it is fine. $250 normal price.

RAKC
    EDIT: Ok I was shown an older emitter I didnt know existed anymore, so makes that one powerful little light.

That said, regardless, HELLVA FIND for what you got!!!
    Last edited by tigris99; 01-03-2016 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I did a time lapse with it last night but forgot to put a clock in the view. I am a bit confused as it ran for over three hours on what I believe was max. I need to repeat the test to be sure. It doesn't make sense it could go three+ hours.

The customer who returned it claimed "battery only lasted one hour," which was obviously a lie to return it due to buyer's remorse for spending $250 on a bike light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I re-did the time-lapse with a clock in the view. It ran for 3:24 on max.

I saw it step down at ~3:00 though. So it must have gone into power-save mode at some point. And more than likely it was not as bright past 2 hours as it was earlier.

In any case, it is not defective. It is a nice light. It seems warm even. I guess people make up reasons to return things.