Magicshine- Mtbr.com

Thread: Magicshine

"Mr. Britannica"

Magicshine

looks like there's some competition out there... or will be:
    "Dare to compare! Our kit includes headlamp, helmet mount, rechargeable battery, charger, handlebar mount, and extension cable! "
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ng+System.aspx

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah...a buddy of mine ordered it from Jenson on friday and received it today (in Germany)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Doesn't link to anything.

Maybe they took it down???

Rolling
    Weird. Yeah, I posted about them last week.

Odd that they are not selling them anymore.

BTW, what competition are you referring to? This was the same magicshine light that people have been talking about for months. Nothing new to compete with MS for the price.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The light at Jenson is the magicshine light.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

BTW, what competition are you referring to? This was the same magicshine light that people have been talking about for months. Nothing new to compete with MS for the price.

I guess he meant JensonUSA vs. Geoman competition, not Magicshine vs. something else.

The only difference is that Jenson was including the helmet mount for the same price. (Well...and international shipping is cheaper with jenson, but that is understandable given their size)

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2834
    The light at Jenson is the magicshine light.

you're kidding???
    and where else is it sold?

Its got what plants crave
    I wonder if they pulled it from the site? It doesn't look like it's available the way it's posted on their site. Wonder why? I can't imagine the profit margin is really great on that product.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Maybe they're just sold out?
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

GeoMan
    We have plenty on hand. Mention MTBR in the comments of your order and we'll include a helmet mount at no charge.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Any word on a rear light?

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    We have plenty on hand. Mention MTBR in the comments of your order and we'll include a helmet mount at no charge.

Geo

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc
    Any word on a rear light?
    Soon, very soon (45 - 60 days).

Thanks for your continued interest and support.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If they are anything like the Dinotte rear light I suspect you will sell a ton. I'll be first in line.

Geo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It was there, here's the Google cache from Taiwan(?) currency.

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=au

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't know anything about what's going on at JensonUSA relative to the magicshine, but I doubt it's as simple as they're sold out.

Magicshine was in their list of manufacturers and now it's not.

At the risk of starting rumors and speculation, I'll speculate that there is some type of dealer relationship politics at work. Examples could be something like an established light maker threatened to end their dealer agreement with Jenson if they continued to offer this light. Jenson would be put in the position of deciding which brand generates more revenue. Or it could be some issue relative to exclusivity commitments.

Let the conspiracy theories begin......

I <3 Dirt
    Here's why Jenson stopped selling Magicshines.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Here's why Jenson stopped selling Magicshines.
    That was not a very satisfying answer. Market economics says Bzzzzzzzt. The distributor surely knows what geoman sells them for and dealextreme too.

Maybe Jenson should try selling them for a higher price--for the people who don't know about geoman. They can bet on their higher level of exposure in the community--like performance bikes does. If they don't sell. then they could close them out at prices near geoman.

I'm going with Mtbmacgyver on this one.

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah, I'm thinking the only two answers are that there's dealer politics OR there just wasn't much of a profit margin. Still, a small profit margin on a high volume item is still profitable.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

"Mr. Britannica"
    That was not a very satisfying answer. Market economics says Bzzzzzzzt. The distributor surely knows what geoman sells them for and dealextreme too.

Maybe Jenson should try selling them for a higher price--for the people who don't know about geoman. They can bet on their higher level of exposure in the community--like performance bikes does. If they don't sell. then they could close them out at prices near geoman.

I'm going with Mtbmacgyver on this one.

speaking of performance, what are the chances of this light coming out sporting "forte" branding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm not sure if the lights that you get at DX, Keido, Jenson...whatevah...are different than Geoman's...but I can personally vouch for Geo's stuff. My MS is very nice. Fit and finish are proper. It's just an incredible unit for the money...and IMO...Geo is the only real MS dealer. (only one I will ever buy from anyhoo)

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    speaking of performance, what are the chances of this light coming out sporting "forte" branding?
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened. I think the performance house brand is 'Viewpoint' for the lights. Seems I have seen several lights that look like dealextreme lights for about three times more from performance.

This for example

Performance: reg $24.99, sale $14.99 + shipping (or tax if you have it delivered to store)
    https://www.performancebike.com/bike..._1030710_-1___

DX: $4.15 includes shipping.
    https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.454

As far as MS lights go, I have to say go with geoman as others do. DX is not that much cheaper, delivery takes a long time and if you have a problem you might be on your own. The MS from DX IMO is a hackers light. If it breaks, be prepared to fix it yourself.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    I'm not sure if the lights that you get at DX, Keido, Jenson...whatevah...are different than Geoman's...but I can personally vouch for Geo's stuff. My MS is very nice. Fit and finish are proper. It's just an incredible unit for the money...and IMO...Geo is the only real MS dealer. (only one I will ever buy from anyhoo)
    Hey! Appreciate the loyalty.

We're here for you.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help need substitute o ring

Gonna do 12 hours of santos. Checked my light. ORING is missing- can I get a sub at home depot? What am I looking for. Doooojjh!

ChiliPepper1
    Geez, I got the very last one in stock from Jenson. It was the last one in stock from what I was told by the CSO I spoke to at Jenson when I purchased the light.

It works great and runs around 3 to 3.5 hours on the 900L settings. On the 200L setting, around 5 to 6 hours so far. Very bright!

Chunky Monkey

O Ring

Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    Gonna do 12 hours of santos. Checked my light. ORING is missing- can I get a sub at home depot? What am I looking for. Doooojjh!

JV,

Yes in plumbing. They are just a bit thinner but will do in a pinch. Swimming repair or plumbing outlets are where I found an a-like o ring. Good luck.

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened. I think the performance house brand is 'Viewpoint' for the lights. Seems I have seen several lights that look like dealextreme lights for about three times more from performance.

This for example

Performance: reg $24.99, sale $14.99 + shipping (or tax if you have it delivered to store)
    https://www.performancebike.com/bike..._1030710_-1___

DX: $4.15 includes shipping.
    https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.454

As far as MS lights go, I have to say go with geoman as others do. DX is not that much cheaper, delivery takes a long time and if you have a problem you might be on your own. The MS from DX IMO is a hackers light. If it breaks, be prepared to fix it yourself.
    I've used above referenced light for a couple years as a back light flashing on road rides,(yes I know white back lights are illegal; i'm just trying to stay alive.)

Love the fact that anything I buy from Performance, including lights has a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
    I think the viewpoints have some catching up to do now tech wise.
    But, for me at least I would not use it as a front light anymore on a road ride. Used it for an emergency get home light but too many other options now of lil leds that are small pocket sized that can be used for that.
    Imho, just too many other much brighter and safer under 100 dollar lights to use. Magicshine comes to mind as about the best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 02-27-2010 at 05:25 AM.

mtbr member
    I picked up a DX light that looked identical to something at the LBS (a mate had one and I thought it was a pretty good blinky).
    Looks like they have copied the design but used cheaper materials. The rubber seals didn't work too well, the strap wasn't particularly stretchy, and it needed a bit of fiddling to get the button to work after replacing the batteries.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3017

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Geo
    So maybe by June. I hope they are perfected much better than when the head lights came out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just ordered mine with the helmet mount. And now I see there is a post to mention mtbr to receive the helmet mount for free. Oh well..... it's still a killer deal.

I'm looking to use this on my helmet for trail-riding. Currently I am running the NiteRider MiNewt X2 dual on my handlebar. Should complement them nicely.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by cj.29er
    Just ordered mine with the helmet mount. And now I see there is a post to mention mtbr to receive the helmet mount for free. Oh well..... it's still a killer deal.

I'm looking to use this on my helmet for trail-riding. Currently I am running the NiteRider MiNewt X2 dual on my handlebar. Should complement them nicely.
    No worries, I see your order and we'll issue a refund for the helmet mount.

Thank you!!!

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wow - thx geoman! Can't wait to try it out

GeoMan
    Our pleasure in serving a fellow biker, CJ. Thank you!

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Received the light on Tuesday. Geoman does not mess around when fulfilling orders. I rode home from work that night with the light mounted on my helmet. It is frigging bright!

It works great with the minewt x2 dual on the handle bars..... My only concern is that I am blinding other commuters so set it to medium or low. I can't wait to test it on the mtn.

Thx again for the free helmet mount - werd up

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by cj.29er
    Received the light on Tuesday. Geoman does not mess around when fulfilling orders. I rode home from work that night with the light mounted on my helmet. It is frigging bright!

It works great with the minewt x2 dual on the handle bars..... My only concern is that I am blinding other commuters so set it to medium or low. I can't wait to test it on the mtn.

Thx again for the free helmet mount - werd up
    Yeah bro, they are very bright and have some illumination distance as well. Yep, they are pretty blinding mounted on the helmet while urban riding, best on the bar while urban riding, but superior on the helmet for trail riding though. I purchased my first one through JensonUSA (very last one they had in stock) and the second one from GEOMAN. GEOMAN rocks and gets there orders out quickly without any hassles. I use mine mostly for urban FR and trails riding at night, and they take a serious beating on the bars for urban FR and on the helmet for trail riding. I was always worried I would mess up the light while hucking drops to flat while urban riding. No, I do not dirt jump on the trails at night, just too dangerous.

Anyways, exceptional light, especially for the price!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ordered a Magicshine from Geoman night before last and got it today (I didn't realize they are just south of me - I'm in Denver and they ship from Hillside/Canon City, CO). Charged it up this afternoon and checked it out in the back yard tonight. I'm EXTREMELY impressed and will probably be buying another very soon. I'm going to start commuting to work and it's a really big confidence builder for me being able to see at night and in the morning.

I will probably buy a second one very soon.

Aaron
    Jul 2008
    No worries, I see your order and we'll issue a refund for the helmet mount.

Thank you!!!

Geo

Weird, I tried the same thing and geoman told me he couldn't help me out!

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by correllaaron
    Weird, I tried the same thing and geoman told me he couldn't help me out!
    No, we wouldn't say that. Did you buy it from GeoManGear?

If so, let's start over...

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Aaron
    Jul 2008
    No, we wouldn't say that. Did you buy it from GeoManGear?

If so, let's start over...

Geo
    Yes I bought A lamp, battery and helmet mount from you guys. I emailed you and said that I forgot to mention MTBR and you said you couldn't help me out at all. PM me for more specific info. Thanks...

Members who have read this thread: 0