Magicshine 1400 (Mickey Mouse style) burny smell. Need new switch.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Magicshine 1400 (Mickey Mouse style) burny smell. Need new switch.

I was putting the lights on the bike today and when I turned them on they went very dim and I noticed a faint burning smell.

It's out of the 90 day DX warranty

After taking the switch apart I could see a faint burnt line along one of the circuits on the board and the red wire from the battery had partially parted company with its solder tab. I can only assume it was shorting out with something. I'm guessing the cable strain relief into the switch isnt the best as I was being pretty careful with it.

I've soldered it back properly and it's working - but I'm not sure I'll trust it for very long. So does anyone know where I could get a new circuit board?

Or - long shot- does anyone in the UK have a knackered / crashed one where the switch part is working?

And lastly - I though these things had some protection in the battery pack to shutdown in the event of a short - any ideas why it didnt? Is there anything I can do to stop this happening again?

mtbr member
    I don't know if they can do anything about it, but contact GeoManGear.com and explain the situation. From what I've heard, they are a USA master distributor and may be able to help you out with getting a replacement/repair. It might be a long shot, but worth a try.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I've never bought anything from GeoMan and I'm impressed with his out of warranty help just based on his responses in these forums. It may be a while, but the next lights I buy, or recommend, will be from GeoMan. Sounds odd, but you can't buy customer service like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronanb

And lastly - I though these things had some protection in the battery pack to shutdown in the event of a short - any ideas why it didnt?
    You're right in that it's recommended and common for li-ion battery pack protection pcbs to have built in current limits. That's to prevent damage to the li-ion cells themselves in the event of a short. If the cells are damaged, it's rare, but possible to have a catastrophic failure later when the pack in recharged.

With that said, I've never seen anybody say or do testing to confirm that this feature is built into the protection PCB on the magicshine pack. I've done fairly in-depth analysis on all the circuits in the magicshine with the exception of the battery pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks MtbMacgyver. You've now got me a bit worried about recharging it -along with my worry over the switch circuit. I think I might just buy use it as a backup or for parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronanb
    Thanks MtbMacgyver. You've now got me a bit worried about recharging it -along with my worry over the switch circuit. I think I might just buy use it as a backup or for parts.
    Recharge it in a very safe place the first time after this issue. It's really extremely unlikely you'll have a problem caused by what you describe. It would be a bigger issue if the current were very high for a longer period of time and it caused the pack to get hot. If there is a problem, it'll happen on the first recharge. So do that first recharge very safely and then you should be good.

Members who have read this thread: 0