Magic Shine issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Magic Shine issues

So I have a pair of the Magic Shine 900 lumen and was using them on a night ride saturday and after about 30 minutes my handle bar light would dim way down and if I pushed the button I could not change the power setting. I had to unplug the thing to reboot it and then it would work fine for a little while and do it again. I had to do this 5-6 times for the handle bar light and 2-3 times for my helmet light. This is the second ride these lights have been on.

Should I send them back or does anyone have any advice.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Before sending them back I would check 2 things

1) are they fully charged. Your battery usually ships with a partial charge & a low voltage could explain your symptons.

2) Is the light getting hot ?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply find_bruce. They have been charged a few times from different chargers and I did notice the handle bar light was very hot but I did not check the helmet light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi 28/29 WIT, I'm guessing the new MS 900's have a thermal protection curcuit in them probably powering down once tempurature hits 60C. The fact it is happening to both lights would idicate that. My first recommendation would be,, try picking up the pace (LOL). But seriously do a fifteen minute climb on the low setting for both lights to keep them cool,crank them up for a 5 minute downhill blast and i bet your lights don't power down. Or just put one of the two in front of a fan,turn both on high and if i'm right only the fan cooled will stay at full power,the other should power down in just a few minutes.Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    The first night I rode with them was a 15 mile ride with no problems but then sat was only 8 and they started acting up after 30 minutes or so. I will try what you say or just start peddling faster. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The fan experiment or an email to whom you made the purchase to varify if in fact you light has thermal protection would be the best thing to confirm. I still believe your lights probably do have this feature. Once confirmed,if you speed is on the slow side during climbs or technical terrain just ride on the med setting until your speed picks up. Anything above 10MPH should be plenty of airflow for the high setting.Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Since no one else asked the question I will: Was it hot the night you rode? If so how hot?
    Don't know if this will help but it is always a good idea to power down on climbs since most everyone goes slower. I think as long as you're riding at the break-neck speed of 10mph or greater you should be fine. One of the things about XM-L emitters is that they do heat up quite a bit when driven to capacity. If you notice that the casing is really hot to the touch then yes, thermal cut-off is likely about to happen. Oh and never run the lights when resting unless you use your lowest setting and let us know how the next ride goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think we may be talking about two different MS's Cat-Man-Do. 28/29 WIT refurred to the MS 900, the XML version i believe is the MS 1000? Either way, good advice. Would you be able to shed any light on the 900/P-7 model having thermal protection?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I think we may be talking about two different MS's Cat-Man-Do. 28/29 WIT refurred to the MS 900, the XML version i believe is the MS 1000? Either way, good advice. Would you be able to shed any light on the 900/P-7 model having thermal protection?
    oh....so he's asking about the P-7 version...sorry about that.

I don't think the original version had thermal protection but the new 808's ( according to the MagicShine's Chinese web site ) do have thermal protection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes i just checked it out and the NEW 808 does have thermal protection. Good news for 28/29 WIT as his lights are fine and just needs to use a lower setting at slower speeds.Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I did get a email back and the lights do have a thermal protector! At least I now know what to do when riding! I just need to get that bike moving faster!