magic moment- Mtbr.com

Thread: magic moment

mtbr member
    May 2009

magic moment

Flying down a very familiar technical single-track trail the other night, by myself, no moon, under a heavy canopy. I'm carrying a lot of speed and all my attention is focused down this tunnel of love and lumens. Then about three feet in front of me a moth flies directly through the beam of my 600 lumen headlight. It lights up and is caught in a sort of strobe - stop action instant. It was a like a high quality, high speed, still picture of this moth in flight - then it disappeared into the night. I barely had the time to process the image when a bat flies directly across my lightbeam - again, it had the affect of a stop motion strobe light. I could see the bat in mid-air, mouth wide open, wings spread back about to catch the moth. It was amazing - I could see the moth and bat in exquiste stop-action detail but only for the instant they were lit by my beam. Man I love night riding!

mtbr member
    Cool story Tuna.

My most magical moment: This goes back to the old days of halogen lights. On one of my late evening rides I stopped on a trail to mount my lights on my bike and helmet just as the sun was going down. Back in those days I didn't mount the lights till dusk. As I'm sitting there fiddling with the lamps I suddenly look up and notice that the entire trail is coming alive...literally.

As far as I could see the entire trail surface started to glow with the emergence of "lightning bugs". They literally covered the trail every couple of feet. I just sat there in awe wishing there was some way I could share that moment but I was alone. It was as though I was in "Lightning bug Grand Central Station". To this day, one of the coolest things I've seen while riding at night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Cool story Tuna.
    As far as I could see the entire trail surface started to glow with the emergence of "lightning bugs". They literally covered the trail every couple of feet. I just sat there in awe wishing there was some way I could share that moment but I was alone. It was as though I was in "Lightning bug Grand Central Station". To this day, one of the coolest things I've seen while riding at night.
    So if you rode through the puddles of lightning bug did you get a glowing streak up your back?
    James
    "My mountain bike needs a new motor; the current one is fat and lazy."

mtbr member
    Sorry, but mine is not biking related. Still awesome though. Driving my dinghy through a small harbor at night last August, my wife and I saw hundreds of herring darting away from the boat. The bioluminescence was so active you could literally see the fish darting away from us under water.

Bioluminescense is not new to us. We see it just about every weekend. This was the first time I saw it excited by fish under water.

Another great moment was sailing off-shore under a full moon listening to whales blowing in the distance. Have done this a few times.

Sorry for the non biking content but sailing and biking are both ways for us to connect with nature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast_monte` View Post
    So if you rode through the puddles of lightning bug did you get a glowing streak up your back?
    Too long ago to remember specifics. They come up then take to flight. Most as I remember were to the sides of the trail. It was a very localized effect. After I rode another 100 ft or so it was over.

I do remember going back there at a later date in an attempt to relive the moment but alas no lightning bugs. I guess it was a one-time thing.

Go Bruins!
    Mine is very similar to Cat-man-do's. I was on my very first night ride last year just after Thanksgiving up here in the Northeast. I was just getting ready to exit the trail system I was on, and I must have come across the white moth breeding ground or something. I had been out in the dark for about an hour and this last section of forest I was in was just teeming with thousands of white moths just hovering a foot or two off the ground. It created a very surreal effect that looked like snow falling from the ground into the air. I'll never forget that moment and how time seemed to linger while the dancing white surrounded the underbrush.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

Members who have read this thread: 0