Lupine Lumins again!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Lupine Lumins again!

Seems the Betty is changed again. And they appear to be selling 2 different variants in paralell:

1850 lumens at 24W
    1750 at 23W

99% of retailers are still selling the 1500 lumens variant.

As noted the 1500 lumens variant doesn't take into account optical/heat losses.
    BUT...
    the new figures seem to take losses into account. The reason I say this is at 24W the power to each LED is around 3.42W which according to the charts for the XP-G R5 bin will kick out 2500 lumens on spec. Alternatively I am wrong, the new figures don't take into aacount extra losses and are R2 or R3 bin.

but...but...but... just as the 1750's (called the classis) start to filter through and retailers change their website details Lupine go and up it again to 1850. The retailers must be going crazy!!

Lupine get your product spec in order!!!! There will be pleny of unsold 1500's in the pipeline so 3 confused prices on spec too I presume!!!!!
    Last edited by Marcopol0; 04-05-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Its got what plants crave
    Man, who'd have thought we'd be seeing 2000+ lumens? I wonder at what point people are just going to go "Man, that's overkill."
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    never - not until 10,000 lumens !!!! )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I agree!!!,a Betty2, with 22degree optic for bars,Wilma for helmet.That's only 2950 or so,some D.I.Y. are already riding with 5000lumens.10,000 just around the corner,just bring your welding mask.Love it!!

mtbr member
    After finally getting a chance to ride with my upgraded Lupine Betty and Wilma this year I have to say that the amount of light coming out of them is incredible. A friend of mine was out riding with me and when I fired up the upgraded Betty and Wilma on high he was completely speechless which is a first for him. I will definitely be trying out a wider optic for the Betty when that is available, but for me the Wilma beam is perfect now and the output seems to be on par with the Betty before it was upgraded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    All i needed Maximus was to read your post, and i think i'm off the fence. Couldn't make up my mind if the extra money was worth spending on the Betty2 over a second Cree Wilma for the handle bars, as the new Wilma is awesome.Just waiting for a reply on when the wide optic will be available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    All i needed Maximus was to read your post, and i think i'm off the fence. Couldn't make up my mind if the extra money was worth spending on the Betty2 over a second Cree Wilma for the handle bars, as the new Wilma is awesome.Just waiting for a reply on when the wide optic will be available.

Ha ha. The Wilma is a heck of a light and very bright, but the Betty has much more output and it is a very noticeable difference and not just a little. I appreciate that the new Betty is lighter weight and that now it is better for helmet mounting, but I only use it on the bars and I can't live without the remote switch so the built in switch is a negative to me. It would be nice if they offered two models one with a built-in switch and one with external.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    2000 lumens is a lotta light. wow.

but, you can never have too much.

j.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Maximus,if the buit in switch is that bothersome for you,and it sounds like the Betty is designated to the handle bar for your set up. Would your retailer allow you to exchange the Betty 24 watt head unit for the 23 watt? Sounds like giving up a 100 lumens would be worth it for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Maximus,if the buit in switch is that bothersome for you,and it sounds like the Betty is designated to the handle bar for your set up. Would your retailer allow you to exchange the Betty 24 watt head unit for the 23 watt? Sounds like giving up a 100 lumens would be worth it for you.
    Oh I have an older Betty with the external switch. I see that in my last post I didn't make that clear. I just upgraded it a couple months ago and mine may actually be the 22 watt model which was the first one that Lupine put out. I switch brightness a lot as I have a lot of hills and such where I ride so I dim down on those. The external switch and the Peppi which holds the switch right up close to my thumb works perfect for me. With an integrated switch I would not be able to switch the brightness as much as I like. My Wilma has the external switch also as it is the older 830 model. That one is upgraded and should be about 1000 lumens now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    Oh I have an older Betty with the external switch. I see that in my last post I didn't make that clear. I just upgraded it a couple months ago and mine may actually be the 22 watt model which was the first one that Lupine put out. I switch brightness a lot as I have a lot of hills and such where I ride so I dim down on those. The external switch and the Peppi which holds the switch right up close to my thumb works perfect for me. With an integrated switch I would not be able to switch the brightness as much as I like. My Wilma has the external switch also as it is the older 830 model. That one is upgraded and should be about 1000 lumens now.
    Well with the new Cree XLamp XM leds coming out in the fall with claims of 160 lumens per watt stable, can't emagine what upgrades Lupine will have by years end. Not to mention everybody else. Maybe Wilma/Betty combo = 5000 lumens!!

mtbr member
    I love the external switches as well, especially on the bar but also liked it on the helmet. It is so easy to turn the light on and off-mostly for dimming. I can do it without my hand leaving the grip. I also mounted the Wilma external switch on the side of my helmet- all I have to do was reach up and tap it instead of reaching for the light itself. Evidently, I cannot be in the majority because Lupine changed that, at least on the Betty.

Members who have read this thread: 0