Lupine Lights- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lupine Lights

Mar 2009

Lupine Lights

I see Niterider, Seca and a fews others have introduced their 2010 model lights and was wondering when Lupine plans to introduce something new. I am intrested in Lupine (betty) and would be pissed to see them come out with something better after i purchased a set, due to the cost.

I also understand lupine lights are upgradeable but I dont wanna upgrade in a month or two after i make this big purchase. I know that Betty has been out for a while now, which concerns me something new is right around the corner. Any thoughts???

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    They are busy designing their new P7 flashlight:
    http://www.lupine.de/phpBB3/viewtopi...=en&f=8&t=2158

I'm sorry to say - being a fan of Lupines - that right now the Betty is a light that I wouldn't buy even if I had the money. Other lights are almost as bright (but with better - wider - beam patterns), it is not small, it is an old design and simply not worth the money IMHO.
    If you insist on buying a Lupine, buy the Wilma or the Tesla, or wait for this flashlight (which could be an excellent light for the helmet - just like the Exposure Joystick, but with proper light output).
    Anyway, your best bet now could be to wait. Autumn is coming, there are companies that are expected to introduce new products (eg. Dinotte), and prices will drop for last year's models. Days are still quite long on the northern hemisphere ;-)

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    They are busy designing their new P7 flashlight:
    http://www.lupine.de/phpBB3/viewtopi...=en&f=8&t=2158

I'm sorry to say - being a fan of Lupines - that right now the Betty is a light that I wouldn't buy even if I had the money. Other lights are almost as bright (but with better - wider - beam patterns), it is not small, it is an old design and simply not worth the money IMHO.
    If you insist on buying a Lupine, buy the Wilma or the Tesla, or wait for this flashlight (which could be an excellent light for the helmet - just like the Exposure Joystick, but with proper light output).
    Anyway, your best bet now could be to wait. Autumn is coming, there are companies that are expected to introduce new products (eg. Dinotte), and prices will drop for last year's models. Days are still quite long on the northern hemisphere ;-)
    Yes the flash light will be pretty cool, but it's basically a self contained Tesla. So why would you want to put a whole flash light on you're head when you could just use a Tesla, with a helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Yes the flash light will be pretty cool, but it's basically a self contained Tesla. So why would you want to put a whole flash light on you're head when you could just use a Tesla, with a helmet mount?
    Because it is a single unit (head + battery) without cables. Like the Exposure Joystick. Some prefer this to the separate battery solution.

Mar 2009
    Thanks. Yea, im still doing my research. It doesnt have to be Lupine but I have read excellent reviews on Lupine which is why they are high on my list. Im not in a rush to buy, so time is on my side but im leaning towards the wilma with the new wider lens.

Niterider pro 1200 looks nice but im going to wait for some reviews before i consider that option.

It's also hard to make a purchase like this without atleat seeing the light in person before i buy it. It would make things so much easier. Im in AZ if anyone knows any good places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mike, I'm waiting for Interbike and I think all new buyers should since most companies are holding back till then to introduce the new lights. I think we will see some interesting lights and I for one, can hardly wait.

Riding at night is fun, especially if it isn't freezing. I am quite happy with what I have but I'm always springing for new stuff if it is appreciably better.

I am not a Nite Rider fan and it is the one brand I avoid. The only positive is the Borofloat lens but I simply find them to be cheaply made and often unreliable.

Light freak
    Originally posted by Flyer
    Riding at night is fun, especially if it isn't freezing.
    So what is your excuse for not showing up to any of our weekly night rides this summer?

Too cold, too early, too late, too far??? You have been hanging around TooManyToyz too much.

Its got what plants crave
    Agreed on Lupine.. behind in the times. Although ahead in the quality department for sure.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    FYI, Lupine lights come in at about half of their rated lumens. I ran into a nite-rider designer on the trail the other night (he was impressed with my lights and how cool they ran, which was pretty awesome to hear) and he said NR had bought up all the competition lights and put them into an integrating sphere for true numbers. They needed to truly know where all the competition was at.

As I recall he said the Betty came in at about 600 lumens (lupine states it as 1500). Ouch! They also apparently took the thing apart and found FR4 boards as the thermal substrate (fiberglass). Not a great design there, nor can I ad excellent overall as the heat has a long way to travel out of the LEDs, only to reach their inadequate cooling fins. Lupine lights sure "look" nice though!

At least that $80 import china junk dx light (magicshine) stole a fundamentally poor design.... as it is obviously a rip of the Tesla.

Members who have read this thread: 0