Lupine light head with non-Lupine battery?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Lupine light head with non-Lupine battery?

Has anyone used a non-Lupine battery (e.g., Gloworm or Gemini) with a Lupine light head by splicing a Lupine connector with a Gloworm/Gemini cable?

RAKC
    Doesn't matter the light or the battery pack, as long as the battery your trying to use is the correct voltage for the light your trying to attach it to.

However, simply trying to splice the pack is a DO NOT DO. I say this because if you have to ask, means your not fully aware of what your getting into. Do it wrong and you mess up the pack or fry the light possibly.

If you want to "splice" get a Lupine extension cable, a magicshine/gemini/gloworm extension cable and make an adapter. It's NEVER a good idea to try and cut the connector off an active battery pack because it causes a short when you make the cut.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Doesn't matter the light or the battery pack, as long as the battery your trying to use is the correct voltage for the light your trying to attach it to.

However, simply trying to splice the pack is a DO NOT DO. I say this because if you have to ask, means your not fully aware of what your getting into. Do it wrong and you mess up the pack or fry the light possibly.

If you want to "splice" get a Lupine extension cable, a magicshine/gemini/gloworm extension cable and make an adapter. It's NEVER a good idea to try and cut the connector off an active battery pack because it causes a short when you make the cut.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think that any of the aforementioned battery brands would have difficulty handling the 45-watt output of the Betty? Or is the power draw irrelevant?

RAKC
    No it is very relevant. Bigger the light, more cells needed in the pack. So if your going to run that pack, need a 6 or 8 cell pack.

My question is you can afford those lights, why are you concerned about the batteries, just buy it all together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was wondering the same thing about needing a less expensive battery when the OP has a $1000 light? Another option although not much cheaper than Lupine battery's is Open Light Systems makes battery's for Lupine lights. Maybe see if they have an adapter??

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Gentlemen,

I visited this site to ask a relatively simple question. If you are puzzled about my reason for seeking Lupine alternatives, it is because batteries are consumables and if I can save $100 on a battery then I consider that a wise financial decision. This is how I managed to retire at age 40.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry as there was no intention to offend. I read somewhere that because of the proprietary PCB, battery's without this don't function well with Lupine lamps. That been said I don't know if it's true as Open Light Systems have been selling battery's for Lupine for years. But anyway you go as tigris said anything less than a quality six cell battery and you wont get full output.
    Last edited by indebt; 04-10-2016 at 12:03 AM.

RAKC
    Meant no offense by my question either. Was just odd being the price those lights are that one wouldn't just by the entire kit.

Yes batteries are consumables, how ever it's 5 yrs before consideration for replacement is needed. Cells are rated for 5000-10000 cycles before they degrade to 70% capacity. Better you take care of them (no discharging all the way to protection cut off every use, storing at 50%-60% charge etc) the more years you'll get. And Lupine has built in balancing of their packs which extended that even more.

Though other packs are cheaper, Lupine owners can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you night right A LOT, the price of their packs may actually be cheaper in the long run if you someone who doesn't want to open a pack every year or so to balance the cells.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Meant no offense by my question either. Was just odd being the price those lights are that one wouldn't just by the entire kit.

Yes batteries are consumables, how ever it's 5 yrs before consideration for replacement is needed. Cells are rated for 5000-10000 cycles before they degrade to 70% capacity. Better you take care of them (no discharging all the way to protection cut off every use, storing at 50%-60% charge etc) the more years you'll get. And Lupine has built in balancing of their packs which extended that even more.

Though other packs are cheaper, Lupine owners can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you night right A LOT, the price of their packs may actually be cheaper in the long run if you someone who doesn't want to open a pack every year or so to balance the cells.

I have been riding Lupine for more than 5 years now. I have yet to have a battery that is out of service and that doesn't operate with normal run time. While they are more expensive out of the gate than other packs, I'm seeing about 2X the lifetime. I too balked at the cost of their batteries when I first bought them but now I get the value proposition. In actual use, I'd say they are probably cheaper and definitely more reliable.

For other batteries, I pretty much plan on 3 year service life. That 3 year rule has been pretty accurate over industrial 2 way radio batteries and lights. So whatever Lupine is doing to make their battery packs last, they are doing it really well.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I used my Charger One and charged up two six year old Lupine battery's from the very 1st gen Piko. Keep in mind when new these battery's gave two and a half hours run time. Did run time tests. 1st battery ran two hours twenty minutes, second battery ran two hour and twenty two minutes. Pretty impressive IMO.