lower fork light mount...anybody thought about running two on the lower forks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

lower fork light mount...anybody thought about running two on the lower forks?

Seems like it would be a good option to run two lower fork lights. I've seen a few on motorcycles.
    Aside from having to figure out how to mount the lights and the wires, it seems like it would provide good low projecting light for night riding.

RAKC
    Run into a big problem, the hug shadow the front tire will cast in front of the bike, exactly where you want to be able to see. Remember, your eyes can't see what's in the dark when there is a bright light directly un the field of view. So that area getting a shadow you wont be able to make out crucial trail details, worse than running just a helmet light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If I remember correctly, sometime last year Cat was experimenting with something similar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wakejunky View Post
    Seems like it would be a good option to run two lower fork lights. I've seen a few on motorcycles.
    Aside from having to figure out how to mount the lights and the wires, it seems like it would provide good low projecting light for night riding.
    I've sort of had something like this on a commuter. I did have one on both sides and though there was a shadow from the tire, it was OK (for commuting). Not sure how it'll last and work for off-road riding though. Just my 4 cents (inflation).

mtbr member
    I can understand there being a shadow where the lights converge but, combined with a handlebar light would provide some really good lighting. It would be a question of managing batteries and cables. Obviously not viable at that point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is a light on aliexpress which is mounted on fork lowers on one of the pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    If I remember correctly, sometime last year Cat was experimenting with something similar
    Lower fork?...no, I don't think so. I might have mentioned that I would like to see what something like that might look like but to do it would require a special mount ( which I don't have ). Never got around to trying something like that but if I did I would think a big negative would be that a lot of the light would end up close to the bike and would be overly bright ( being so close to the ground ). Of course if you used a spot thrower this might not be a big issue.

Yeah, I'm sure there would be shadows of the wheel to deal with ( if mounted to fork leg ) but not sure if it would be a major issue unless the fork lamp was the "only lamp" mounted on the bike frame. Lastly I don't think it would be real useful for mountain biking because on some trails you have to deal with high grass and brush. If mounted low on the fork a lot of the light might not be able to clear over the grass/brush.

Now it might work well on a road set-up because you don't have those factors to deal with. I do mount a small flasher to the fork of my road set-up but my main lamp is bar mounted. Lowest I would go with the main lamp would be to mount it to the fork crown. That might be interesting but then again it would depend on the lamp being used.