low cost Dinotte Battery?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

low cost Dinotte Battery?

hi
    Is there anything signiicantly less expensive than the $70 four cell battery I can use for my Dinotte headlight?
    Without a lot of soldering?
    with soldering?
    thanks.
    Alan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Magicshine battery will work if you cut a little rubber off the plug.

A mtb rider from Isreal
    Jul 2009

Are you sure?

and what about charging?
    tnx

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yup, it works.

The MS and Dinotte use the same 5.5x2.1mm DC plug, same voltage, they just put the outer rubber sleeve the opposite way. Cut the sleeve off the magicshine battery and it works with dinotte stuff.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=576334

Geoman has the new magicshine batteries for 50 bucks
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=167

DX has the old ones which need waterproofing for 30 bucks, shipping is free but it can take a couple weeks or more.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32756

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentboy242
    hi
    Is there anything signiicantly less expensive than the $70 four cell battery I can use for my Dinotte headlight?
    Without a lot of soldering?
    with soldering?
    thanks.
    Alan
    You could go with a 4-cell holder but you would need to solder in the plug and find a small bag to hold the cell holder in order to mount it to the bike. Really not too hard to do. The cell holder should cost somewhere around $16 to $20. The *plug about $5. Four 18650 cells about $20. Another $20 for some cell chargers.Not sure if you can get the plug from Dinotte but I figure it's worth the try. Add to that some small shipping fees.

It may not seem price worthy at first glance but once you have the complete holder/cell charger set-up it only cost $20 to replace your batteries. ( no shipping fee from DealExtreme )

Of course the nice thing about the Dinotte batteries is that they are tailored-made for top-tube mounting and are water-proof. I own a couple Dinottes so I know.

Dinotte will probably not sell you the plug. When asked they will tell you that they do not want you to build your own batteries, they want you to buy theirs.
    Anyway, if you have an old Dinotte battery you could use the plug from that.

Option #2...What MaxTH said...

mtbr member
    OH CRAP! Max, you must of re-posted just before I did. The link to the D/X replacement looks like the ticket. $30 and that includes the mounting bag. If the plug works as reported then the Dinotte charger should work as well. This looks like the way to go for Dinotte owners. Damn, I wish they sold the battery in a 14.8 volt configuration as that is a pretty fine deal. Worth the four week wait from D/X for sure.

A mtb rider from Isreal
    Jul 2009

Tnx

I have ordered me this one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32756

what about this:
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=167
    can i use it on my 800L? will I have longer run time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Series II Battery is the exact same cells, just with a heavy duty enclosure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually, compared to many of the lights out there, Dinotte's batteries are pretty inexpensive.

j.

A mtb rider from Isreal
    Jul 2009
    why then, the price is double?
    tnx

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Actually, compared to many of the lights out there, Dinotte's batteries are pretty inexpensive.

j.
    True. Niterider, L&M, Lupine, and Cygolite all want about twice as much for batteries.

I also like that Dinotte uses a standard DC plug, same one on all their lights. No weird proprietary crap. Major reasons why i bought Dinottes, then a Magicshine. If something breaks, I can fix it. I can use other batteries that don't require a proprietary three conductor plug and special circuit board.

mtbr member
    Just read through this thread after searching for Dinotte Battery Voltage on Google. I currently run a MS-808 front headlight, and MS taillight for commuting. The MS taillight has died, I don't mind because I hated that bezel switch.

Can anyone confirm for me if the Dinotte 400R still uses the same voltage? ~7.2-8.4? I commute with 2 x 5000mAh Lithium Polymer batteries in Parallel, I get amazing run times with this setup, I'd like to keep my MS 808 front headlight and run the Dinotte 400R taillight. Does anyone see any issues with this? All that I really need to confirm is the input voltage of the 400R.

Thanks!
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    Just read through this thread after searching for Dinotte Battery Voltage on Google. I currently run a MS-808 front headlight, and MS taillight for commuting. The MS taillight has died, I don't mind because I hated that bezel switch.

Can anyone confirm for me if the Dinotte 400R still uses the same voltage? ~7.2-8.4? I commute with 2 x 5000mAh Lithium Polymer batteries in Parallel, I get amazing run times with this setup, I'd like to keep my MS 808 front headlight and run the Dinotte 400R taillight. Does anyone see any issues with this? All that I really need to confirm is the input voltage of the 400R.

Thanks!
    According to the DiNotte web site, the Li-ion version of the 400R uses a two cell battery. They list the charger as a 7.2 volt charger, hence the battery must be the same. That being the case I would think your two cell or 4 cell MagicShine battery should be compatable although you might have to make a minor adaption to the plug to make it work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    bump

Members who have read this thread: 0