Lookingfor front and rear turn indicators.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Lookingfor front and rear turn indicators.

...so are there any decent sets of front and rear turn indicators made, or available here in the US? The only one I've seen is made in Europe and has to be ordered direct from the manufacturer which means dealing with customs, international shipping, and currency exchange.

Not into DIY as I don't have the technical skills

Cycologist
    Just use hand signals. Drivers aren't going to be expecting turn signal blinkie lights on a bike and it would be hard to get them spread far enough apart that people would realize that they are turn signals and not just safety lights.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Just use hand signals. Drivers aren't going to be expecting turn signal blinkie lights on a bike and it would be hard to get them spread far enough apart that people would realize that they are turn signals and not just safety lights.
    This.

Turn signal systems are difficult to make reliable. A proper taillight and hand singles are very common way of doing things drivers are more accustomed to because its widely used with motorcycles as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ...funny they do so in Europe.

Using hand signals not only compromises handling and braking but at night they cannot be seen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    This.

Turn signal systems are difficult to make reliable. A proper taillight and hand singles are very common way of doing things drivers are more accustomed to because its widely used with motorcycles as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ..funny that many motorcycles actually do have turn indicators. meanwhile, this company in Europe managed to make a similar system for bicycles. Sadly it cannot be exported to the US because of restriction on Lithium batteries.

What would it take for someone here in the states with the technical savvy to come up with a synchronised front and rear turn indicator? The US is supposed to be the most technically advanced nation in the world. Or are we that Bass-ackwards?

If people here really cared about cycling safety they would promote development of such lighting systems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ..now tell me this is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZgLucFF50

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Shelby View Post
    ....What would it take for someone here in the states with the technical savvy to come up with a synchronised front and rear turn indicator? The US is supposed to be the most technically advanced nation in the world. Or are we that Bass-ackwards?

If people here really cared about cycling safety they would promote development of such lighting systems.
    I doubt that market research has shown any manufacturer that bike turn signals have much demand. If there was demand, there would be a product.

I've followed this forum for about 10 years now and you might be the second person I recall to ask about turn signals. Since this site is primarily focused on mountain biking, that may explain the lack of interest. Have you posed this question on a road biking forum?
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ..well considering the situation of visibility at night and compromised handling/braking by removing one's handsfrom the handlebars I'm surprised there hasn't been a call for this. Once again the Europeans are way ahead of us. Particularly since I see both road and trail lights evaluated here.

And i only asked about if there are such systems available on the market here. Didn't post this to debate about the "whys" and "why nots". I would think if cyclists really cared about safety they'd be more receptive on this matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Shelby View Post
    ..now tell me this is a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZgLucFF50
    That's not a bad idea. You will see all kinds of LED turn signals designed for cycling on Youtube. Ebay has tons of cheap Chinese bike lights with turn signals but the best new stuff are the ones I've seen on Youtube. My favorite's are the cycling gloves with built in LED's that flash when turning. There is also a Chinese clone version of these that I might have seen on Banggood. The other setup I saw on Youtube I liked was a guy who designed a bike helmet with the LED's built into the helmet. This not only had a very big display when turning but also included a sensor that acted light a brake light when slowing. The video was very impressive but I still like the gloves better. The gloves I use at night have DOT2 reflective bits on them so this helps the people see my hands better when I use hand signals at night.

mtbr member
    Just use hand signals.
    I do, but it's difficult to stick your arm out and brake hard going down hill at the same time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I do, but it's difficult to stick your arm out and brake hard going down hill at the same time!
    Very good point. Hand signaling at speed can be dangerous. The moment you take a hand off the bars you lose a bit of control over your steering ( as well as braking ). If you were to hit a crack in the road or some small debris you could theoretically lose control of the bike.

The thing is people driving cars are not necessarily going to recognize a small blinking light on the back of a bike as a turn signal. That's simply because most bikes don't have illuminated turn signals. Of course the larger the display the better the chance of it being recognized. I've seen cycling vests with rear LED displays and the turn signals with those use a very large arrow configurations. I still like the idea of lit gloves but the ones I've seen on Youtube have an arrow on them and that can be confusing because by law you only use the left hand for signaling. The gloves are designed with LED's on both gloves with the intent the user use his right hand for right turns. Might work in some situations but I don't like using the wrong hand. Would be better if the left glove had a wireless blue tooth remote that could change the configuration of the LED's to indicate the proper direction when turning ( using only the left hand ). FWIW I liked the turn signal that was linked by BC Shelby. I liked how the LEDs lit in sequence to indicate direction. Personally I don't think I'd like having something that big on the seat post of my bike but if I had to ride in a heavy urban environment at night with traffic lights at every other block I'd likely reconsider the use of a LED turn signal on the bike ( although I'd still use hand signals as well regardless ).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    ...exactly. Also should something happen in front of you there is less time to react.

The signalling system used today actually dates back to the days when automobiles didn't have indicators. Logically, you should indicate which direction you are going by holding the arm out in whatever direction you were turning (which is what I use). This is of course impossible when driving as there is no way to stick your right arm out the right window while sitting in the left seat. Hence a better way of signalling needed to be developed which brought about the advent of turn signals (though they only work when engaged).

Such a system for bikes particularly with the rise in bike commuting, makes absolute sense from both visibility and safety standpoints. Autos, trucks, buses and motorcycles are required to have both front and rear indicators. Why not bikes? It also helps motorists approaching from the front to know which way you are turning (particularly if you are turning left on a single lane two way street).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Very good point. Hand signaling at speed can be dangerous. The moment you take a hand off the bars you lose a bit of control over your steering ( as well as braking ). If you were to hit a crack in the road or some small debris you could theoretically lose control of the bike.

The thing is people driving cars are not necessarily going to recognize a small blinking light on the back of a bike as a turn signal. That's simply because most bikes don't have illuminated turn signals. Of course the larger the display the better the chance of it being recognized. I've seen cycling vests with rear LED displays and the turn signals with those use a very large arrow configurations. I still like the idea of lit gloves but the ones I've seen on Youtube have an arrow on them and that can be confusing because by law you only use the left hand for signaling. The gloves are designed with LED's on both gloves with the intent the user use his right hand for right turns. Might work in some situations but I don't like using the wrong hand. Would be better if the left glove had a wireless blue tooth remote that could change the configuration of the LED's to indicate the proper direction when turning ( using only the left hand ). FWIW I liked the turn signal that was linked by BC Shelby. I liked how the LEDs lit in sequence to indicate direction. Personally I don't think I'd like having something that big on the seat post of my bike but if I had to ride in a heavy urban environment at night with traffic lights at every other block I'd likely reconsider the use of a LED turn signal on the bike ( although I'd still use hand signals as well regardless ).
    ...Indeed it is large but not as "cumbersome" looking as some other's I've seen. I wonder about some of the other integrated rear systems I've seen as indeed the actual flashing lights are very small. The one I linked to on the other hand is very noticeable. I can see though, the front unit would not interfere with having a bar mounted headlamp or the rear one with a secondary rear light. (This can also be mounted on the back of a carrier as well).

The downside, it is not for sale here in the US.

Ideally it would be nice to have a setup more similar to a motorcycle with the signal lamps further out on the front fork and rear stays mounted on individual brackets (R & L). Unfortunately such a system would be complex to install and wire together. I can sort of see how it would be configured, but alas do not have the technical savvy to actually put it all together.

mtbr member
    I just was looking at what was available on ebay. Like I said before, all kinds of turn signals for bikes. Most of those are just designed to give the traffic behind you a heads-up although
    some have front indicators as well.

I'm surprised at how many versions of the LED gloves there are. I'm seeing some for as cheap as 10-$15. The brand name, "Zackees" look to be the best but only because they included a rechargeable coin cell charger / batteries and also have some kind of switch built into the gloves. The Zackees though sell for about $85 and up. On the other hand with the cheaper Chinese gloves you really don't know too much of what you are getting because most of those have very little in the way of product description.

I'm tempted to buy a pair of the cheaper gloves because..well, they're so cheap I figure it might just be worth rolling the dice on. Thing is they are only lit on one side so no real help to traffic on approach from the front ( unless of course you flip your hand over ) Then again no telling if anyone seeing someone use something like this is going to make the mental connection that this is a cyclist making a turn. If It blinks though that would help. Of course like what was said before, how long can you hold your arm out hoping traffic sees your arm signal? Now with all this said, if you can't turn it on or off easily ( not to mention have it set in the mode you want ) I don't think I would bother with it.