Looking for some light recomendations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    333

    Looking for some light recomendations

    Hey all ive never really looked into lights untill now. I would like to get some recomendations for a good powered light that I can use for commuting to work at 11 pm(about 15-20 min ride) at night and also doing some single track riding in Dense woods for about and 1hr-3hr. I would like to have a helemt mount as well as a rechargeable batt, I do have a budget of about 150 can you reccomend some decent lights?
    Thanks Danny

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal
    Hey all ive never really looked into lights untill now. I would like to get some recomendations for a good powered light that I can use for commuting to work at 11 pm(about 15-20 min ride) at night and also doing some single track riding in Dense woods for about and 1hr-3hr. I would like to have a helemt mount as well as a rechargeable batt, I do have a budget of about 150 can you reccomend some decent lights?
    Thanks Danny
    (Magic Shine) from Geoman,or (500L) from Trailled,both will be more than enough light, three hour run times,and in your budget.

  3. #3
    shut up legs
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23
    Nite Rider Mini Newt with the USB charger is great....$99 and solid mounting to handlebar. I've also zip tied it to my helmet in the past when I borrowed a flood for my bars.

  4. #4
    shut up legs
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    23
    Also look into Amoeba lighting systems....awesome products

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by boss4774
    Also look into Amoeba lighting systems....awesome products
    Only bad part, is it looks like they start at $200. He can get two of the MS 900 for $180. Or since he is commuting, he can get the MS 900 and MS tail light for $150.

  6. #6
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977

    Would love to just give Amoeba's away for nothing...

    but I have to make a little money on the time that I spend building each and every light by hand by myself. Every component that goes into an Amoeba has to be modified to fit into the small housing. I don't make any money on the batteries and charger stuff, charge exactly what I pay for them. I guess I could make something much bigger like the MagicShine that would be easier to build and have it built by somebody else so that I would not have any control over quality, but that doesn't fit my or my customers needs. Let me reiterate the difference between an Amoeba and a MagicShine -

    1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries and multiple options (AA holders or 3hr, 6hr, 9hr, 12hr Li-Ion choices)
    4. - Customer service (talk directly to the person that built your light)
    5. - A light that is made by someone who uses their lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.


    Also, my stuff does not just change on the fly. MagicShine went form 5 mode to 3 mode, long cable to short cable without any mention until people starting to recieve them. That is the way all Chinese products go, always trying to make it as cheap as possible. I am always trying to make my lights as relaible as possible. Different people have different priorities. Buy whatever light fills your needs and enjoy them.



    ***

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    but I have to make a little money on the time that I spend building each and every light by hand by myself. Every component that goes into an Amoeba has to be modified to fit into the small housing. I don't make any money on the batteries and charger stuff, charge exactly what I pay for them. I guess I could make something much bigger like the MagicShine that would be easier to build and have it built by somebody else so that I would not have any control over quality, but that doesn't fit my or my customers needs. Let me reiterate the difference between an Amoeba and a MagicShine -

    1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries and multiple options (AA holders or 3hr, 6hr, 9hr, 12hr Li-Ion choices)
    4. - Customer service (talk directly to the person that built your light)
    5. - A light that is made by someone who uses their lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.


    Also, my stuff does not just change on the fly. MagicShine went form 5 mode to 3 mode, long cable to short cable without any mention until people starting to recieve them. That is the way all Chinese products go, always trying to make it as cheap as possible. I am always trying to make my lights as relaible as possible. Different people have different priorities. Buy whatever light fills your needs and enjoy them.



    ***
    I saw some photo's of your product,are those measurements for real? Do you have an XPG version, i think i saw on another post? I could check for myself but lazy today.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    I saw some photo's of your product,are those measurements for real? Do you have an XPG version, i think i saw on another post? I could check for myself but lazy today.
    Sorry Scar,got my answers accept cost?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Scar's lights are great. I'd buy those over any MS light but granted, I'm not as restricted on the budget/wife.

  10. #10
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977
    Originally posted by indebt
    I saw some photo's of your product,are those measurements for real?
    Yep, those dimensions and performance are for real. It is so fun to hear from a customer when the receive their light and realize how small it actually is. Here is a picture of one next to a quarter for reference -





    Originally posted by indebt
    Do you have an XPG version, i think i saw on another post?
    I know you said you found the answer to this question but I thought I would post up an answer for everyone else's benefit - Yep, Cree XP-G version now available!! Click on the link to the left or in my signature for my latest classified ad here on MTBR.





    Newer photos of XP-G version (availble in matte silver, dark bronze, or bright silver (chrome) annodized aluminum housings)










    Originally posted by Flyer
    Scar's lights are great. I'd buy those over any MS light but granted, I'm not as restricted on the budget/wife.
    Flyer - thanks for the kind words, it really means alot to me! Haven't seen you for quite awhile, hope you are having a good summer


    ***

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by scar

    Also, my stuff does not just change on the fly. MagicShine went form 5 mode to 3 mode, long cable to short cable without any mention until people starting to recieve them. That is the way all Chinese products go, always trying to make it as cheap as possible.
    I think that is very true. Personally and no insult to anyone, but I wouldn't use a MS product if it were free. Just don't have a good feeling about them. I'm not one to follow a pied piper if you know what I mean. I wouldn't buy a light or other component solely on name recognition either, but many of the top tier products that happen to be expensive are top tier and expensive for a reason. Your light seems to be very well made and very good value. If I didn't have a Lupine Betty I would support your cause. Heck, I might still buy one as a backup on my bar.

  12. #12
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977

    It all depends on what is important to you...

    Amoeba helmet mounted



    MagicShine helmet mounted

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    147
    Scar, I was not trying to knock your lights or anything. I think it is an excellent product at a great price, for the people that can afford it. He said his budget was $150 so I was trying to work with him. I just recently purchased four of the MS lights due to the fact that it was the best for me on a tight budget (one income right now). I really considered your lights, as in, two Amoebas for me, and two MS for the wife. However, anyone with a wife knows that there would have been no explaining why I didn't buy her two of the Amoebas as well. Maybe one day when the budget is a little higher we can upgrade. To the OP, if you can afford the Amoeba light, go for it.

  14. #14
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977
    ASpot13 - No worries, I never took it as you knocking my lights. I was just trying to explain that there is a lot of labor that goes into my Amoeba light and the reason it cost more than a MagicShine. I am also just trying to get the word out that there is another option available out there that everyone may not be aware of.

    Thanks for the constructive conversation





    ***

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.