Looking for small front blinky- Mtbr.com
    Cars Are Evil

Looking for small front blinky

I'm looking for a small front blinky light to help prvent idiots from cutting me off in traffic. I'd like it small enough to just leave on my bike all the time. Must use AA or AAA so I can use rechargables. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've used this light and it works real good

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's a knog knock-off that gives you front and rear for under $5.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19033

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    I'm looking for a small front blinky light to help prvent idiots from cutting me off in traffic. I'd like it small enough to just leave on my bike all the time. Must use AA or AAA so I can use rechargables. Any suggestions?
    I use to own one of the Cateye 4 x AA, 3-LED lights. I forget what model it was but it was pretty bright. It incorporated a set of reflectors that helped focus most of the light forward. The blink mode was very bright and most useful. Now if you want to use something to be seen in daylight I would suggest something brighter like a Dinotte 200L which like all Dinotte lights have a blink/strobe menu. For night time use when you are using your front light full time you might want a second light ( with strobe/flash ) that you can hit for when you approach intersections. Even with a very bright front light it is easy for cars coming out of side streets not to see you. That is because your front light just blends in with all the others ( from cars ) that are passing you. Having the extra light with strobe/flash is a big safety factor. I used to use my Cateye anytime I saw a car coming out of a side street. It really is hard to miss a bright flashing light.

Now with all this said I'm sure there are newer systems out there that are compact and are very bright. The Planetbike blaze looks interesting. Not sure if it incorporates a flash/strobe though. If it does, that could be your ticket. The knog looks interesting as well, if it is bright I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. Last but not least there are some 5-mode torches that are Very Bright and have a strobe function. However unless the torch has "true memory", it would hard to know ( in the daytime ) just what mode it was in when you turn it on. With true memory you can set the strobe up before hand....Still there is a big difference between "strobe" and "Flash". I much prefer "flash" ( something like one flash every 0.5 sec. )

Regardless of what you buy, I wouldn't leave nothing of value on the bike if left outside.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-22-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0