Looking For Light to Run Off of a Generator Hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Looking For Light to Run Off of a Generator Hub

I've ordered a SON 28 15 generator hub. My understanding is that you can run the wire directly to a light without using a converter. My primary goal is just light for night-riding. I don't mind running my GPS on AA batteries.

Is this the case and what would you folks recommend for a good-quality light for Tour-Divide style bikepacking? I don't plan on riding any gnarly trails or single track at night. Doesn't have to be cheap light, either.

Are there any good ones with built in converters and switches for charging devices when not running the light if I want to keep my phone charged?

Only asking because the subject is kind of confusing and I need a little clarity to get me going.

mtbr member
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    For Tour Divide style riding I'd be getting a light/charger setup from Klite
    https://www.klite.com.au

Action LED Lights
    The voltage coming out of a dynamo hub varies with speed. Most led lights out today have drivers in them that only operate in a narrow range. Usually 8.5V - 6.5V which is the useable range of 2 Li-ion cell in series. If you slow down too much they won't get dim, they will just go out. If your going fast you risk burning the circuitry out. Best to use a USB adapter that holds the voltage down to 5V.
    If you use something like the Gloworm CX you can use the light and charge it at the same time. It's not likely you can keep up with 1200 lumens without draining the battery but at the lower settings you would be good to go.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    ^^^ there are a good number of LED lights designed specifically to be run directly from dynamo hubs. It's very common in the EU. Check the link I supplied in post #2.
    Do the math.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Don't try to use a battery light with your dyno. That's just silly, might as well make your own, which is also silly nowadays.

I have a supernova Pure on my mountain bike. I'm not a big fan of Supernova lights. About the only good thing about the Pure is that it's so simple. I have it mounted on my handlebars

Most dyno lights are meant to be mounted at the fork crown level, but that's difficult on a suspension fork. For my fatbike, I'm looking at mounts that will work on the fork.

I'll probably be mounting a Busch & Muller Eyc on my fat bike. It's very small. The B&M IQ-x is a great light, and that's what I use on my road bike. However, I have the Eyc in my light drawer.

I just read the OP again. I would get an IQ-X, but use a different mount. I like the B&M wire mount. I would also get a spare mount ring for insurance if going on a long trip. Another light to consider is the schmidt Edelux II. It's not quite as bright, but the case is more robust. The problem with most bikepacking setups is that you will have a bag at bar level. I am not sure where you would mount a light. The problem with putting them on the bars is that they will light up the bag and blind you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Idea! B&m iq-x

Dynamo hubs deliver AC, battery lights need DC.
    So go for dynamo hub lights like the B&M IQ-X with 100 Lux illuminance.
    bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/parent/164/produkt/164rtsndi-01-schwarz-164rtsndi-silber.html
    peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

If you convert the power to DC, you could power more lights.
    Automatiklader: Forumslader
    English_Assembly_ForumsladerV5_kompakt.pdf

Or you use the B&M E-Werk to convert AC to DC.
    bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung/parent/361/produkt/361.html?
    bumm.de/en/products/stromversorgung.html