Looking for inexpensive tail light or front and rear lights to give away to riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Looking for inexpensive tail light or front and rear lights to give away to riders

I'm looking to find inexpensive but durable lights to give away to riders in the area where I live. I have seen too many cyclists around here who don't seem to realize how dangerous it is to ride on these winding mountain roads without at least a tail light. I might also give away some to the local skateboarders and / or pedestrians. Basically, whoever appears to be in danger of getting hit by a car because they are essentially invisible.

I've used the MEC Turtle lights in the past, but they don't seem to have the red ones anymore. MEC Coloured Turtle White LED Light - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available I'm hoping for something similar - easy to attach and detach, very portable, and reasonably bright. Also they'd need to be available in Canada, and very inexpensive , as I am doing this out of my own pocket.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    A person looking to do some giveaways...we see things the same way. I think your best bet is to giveaway something that is self-contained and uses common batteries ( like AA's or AAA's ). I wouldn't give away something too expensive unless it was to someone you saw everyday or knew.

One of these would make a pretty good "see me" light and you can buy something for the rear as well for about the same cost on the same website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    MEC Turbo Turtle Red LED Rear Light

MEC Turbo Turtle Red LED Rear Light $5.75 CAD

Sorry, not sure why the picture didn't show up. Anyway,, MEC has these in stock, looks to be about a dollar more than the non turbo Turtle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I recently got one of these, and was impressed with it's brightness (for a light under $2). Mounts to a seat post easily without tools.
    New Bike Bicycle Waterproof Cycling Red LED Rear LIGHT3MODES Tail Lamp Outsport | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    These might be more than you want to spend, but these are also quite bright. The nice thing about these, is the lens allows the light to be seen from the sides too. Doesn't mount quite as easily as the one in the link above.
    Cycling Bike Bicycle Rear Light Bright 3 Red LED Safety Taillight Lamp 2 Modes | eBay

mtbr member
    For give-aways, I think something with standard batteries (AA or AAA, not button batteries) would stand a better chance of getting used after the initial batteries died.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Similar to the one posted by fighnut posted:
    $4.89 744L 3*LED 2-Mode Red Bike Tail Mount Warning Safety Light - red + white / 2*AAA at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Fasttech has a ton of the things. Go to bike lights category and then sort by price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    For give-aways, I think something with standard batteries (AA or AAA, not button batteries) would stand a better chance of getting used after the initial batteries died.
    Agree. On the other hand you can buy the CR2032 batteries really cheap if you shop around. I picked up a card of 100 for less than....well, I can't remember now cause it was years ago but it wasn't very much. I like that little red light that Fightnut first mentioned. While it might not make a good giveaway because of the battery type it would make a good light for someone who does group road rides and doesn't want to blind the people behind them with a super bright rear flasher.

Just Ride !
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut: