Looking for a helmet light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for a helmet light

I think I should get a helmet light to complement my Magic shine which I should receive from Geoman friday. I have searched, but did not find too much except for people recommending a magic shine. I figure i do not need something that bight. I was hoping to spend less than $100. Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In your budget you could go for a Cygolite Million 200 lumen self contained light that would work well as a helmet light. That been said, it isn't in the same league as the MS in brightness beem quality and runtime,and you don't have to run it on high if you find it to bright as a helmet light.You will find your eyes adjust to what ever brightness lights you run.

mtbr member
    What about the DiNotte 200L-AA? I am undecided on the long or short cord. I think the long cord would make it lighter on the helmet.

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's a better choice than the Cygolite, but i thought your budget was $100?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just checked out Dinotte website,unlike myself you did your homework.Couldn't find run times,but hands down would be better than the Cygolite 200m and in your price range.If you have made up your mind that a second MS isn't what you want,then go to Dinotte's web and buy the 200L, you will be getting one of the best 200 lumen lights available today.

mtbr member
    My budget is not set in stone. I like spending a few bucks more for getting something better.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Then get the DiNotte... that's a high quality light. I used to have one and I called it "the noisy cricket" (MIB movie )

mtbr member
    I'm still undecided if I should just use my magicshine as a helmet light and not get the dinotte or if i should buy the dinotte for a helmet light and use the magicshine on the handle bars.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have both and the MS washes out a single DiNotte 200L. I use 2 - 200L's or a second MS on the helmet with an MS on the bar.

I would get another MS or a DiNotte 400.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The beam pattern on the MS is better suited as a helmet light. So using it on the bar and something else on the helmet is probably not the best setup. Actually, using both a bar and helmet mounted MS isn't a bad setup. The beam pattern on the bar isn't ideal, but since the light intensity is well matched it works out reasonably well in practice. If you want to keep costs down, it'll be hard to beat getting 2 MS lights. If you want the best setup and cost isn't the biggest factor, then get something with a wide beam and 600+ lumens for the bar.

mtbr member
    Well I received my MS today. WOW I'm very impressed, thanks Geoman!

I will mount it on my helmet and try it only have that for now. I can't believe how bright it is.

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0