looking for good value mtb headlight for easy night trails- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503

    looking for good value mtb headlight for easy night trails

    I'm looking for a good value mtb headlight for easy night trails like this:

    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...rail--4/photos

    As you can see there are no big drops or trees to run into. So I don't need the best of the best mtb headlights right now. I just need a good value good quality headlight that will provide decent light output.

    I've never been a fan of external battery packs. They just seem clunky and I'm less likely to use them. I'm a big fan of usb rechargeable mtb headlights so that's what I'm looking for with this mtb headlight.

    So can you share any recs along the lines of what I'm looking for?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    I found this random usb mtb light on Amazon:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/soonfire-FD.../dp/B071DX232Z

    The product description says that it can provide 850 lumens for over 7 hours on a single charge. For the type of trails that I provided the url to I'm guessing that 500 lumen should be plenty, right? Realistically, I would never ride for more than 5 hours at a time so it seems like the current state of technogy for usb rechargeable mtb headlights is more than capable for my night trail riding needs based on the random amazon product url I provided, right?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,796
    If you take the amazon specs and cut each in about half you'll be closer to what that light can actually do. The off brand Chinese lights are notorious for having drastically inflated specs.

    Have a look at the SELF-CONTAINED A to Z thread in the forum...

    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...z-1105995.html

    You'll get a better idea of what the current tech can do.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    I found this random usb mtb light on Amazon:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/soonfire-FD.../dp/B071DX232Z

    The product description says that it can provide 850 lumens for over 7 hours on a single charge.
    Chinese Aliexpress stuff with wrong advertising.

    2x3400mah Batterys, if they are really in this light have in total 20 Wh capacity.

    XM-L/XM-L2 emitters what are typical in aliexpress junk require 10 Watts power for ~1000 LED lumens.
    coz the XM-L2 LED efficiency is ~ 100 Lumens/ Watt

    after optics it will be ~900 Lumens.

    So if this Light Really puts out 850 Lumens it will draw down 2x 3400mah Batterys in under 2 Hours.

    The other option is that they lie with the Lumens"3x lower" but the Runtimes are true.


    If you are really looking for a long lasting light check lights with XHP50 or XHP70 LEDs.
    they have at 1000 Lumens Output ~ 180 Lumen/ Watt power consumption.

    For example, if you Put a Convoy S11 on your bike, you get with a 5000 mah Battery full Regulated 900 Lumen for 3 Hours.

    Dont waste more then ~20$ for lights with 8 Year old LED emitters.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,228
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    I'm looking for a good value mtb headlight for easy night trails like this:

    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...rail--4/photos

    As you can see there are no big drops or trees to run into. So I don't need the best of the best mtb headlights right now. I just need a good value good quality headlight that will provide decent light output.

    I've never been a fan of external battery packs. They just seem clunky and I'm less likely to use them. I'm a big fan of usb rechargeable mtb headlights so that's what I'm looking for with this mtb headlight.

    So can you share any recs along the lines of what I'm looking for?
    First things first; According to your profile you live on west coast USA. I don't know why you would post a link to anything on Amazon U.K. You should be linking to something on Amazon USA.

    Anyway, I've bought one of those cheap two emitter self contained lamps on Amazon.( not the one you linked to but similar ) It works and puts out a decent amount of light although I hate the beam tint ( a bit bluish ). On it highest setting you aren't going to get more than 2hrs. Medium mode you might get 3.5 to 4 hrs. @ ~ 400 lumen

    If you're only going to use one lamp I would also highly suggest carrying a second light source....a flashlight or torch as the Brits call them. Along with that if you are going to be using only one lamp I would recommend buying something that gives a digital display of the run time. The Raveman PR-1200 will do this and give you a nice wide beam pattern because of the custom optics. In it's brightest single emitter mode the display indicates 3.5hrs of run time. In full mtb mode ( both emitters on ) it displays only 1.5 hrs. One mode down ( both emitters on ) it runs for 3.5 hrs and is still quite bright. In single emitter mode ( with the wider beam optic ) , if run in the next mode down from the brightest it reads 5 hrs. I've used this lamp for MTB'n on technical terrain but when I do I always also use a helmet lamp as well. Used by it's self it would be fine for moderate single track. Run time will vary depending on the mode you use.

    The Raveman lamps will cost more than a cheap Amazon Chinese lamp but gives you a great value for what you are getting. If you buy a cheap lamp off of Amazon you are basically rolling the dice and hoping for the best. Usually, you get what you pay for. ( *Please note: I have reviewed lamps for Raveman and have received a couple lamps for free. That said I like the lamps so much I have paid for three with my own money ) Raveman now has a couple new lamps that look to be interesting. ( new LR series and a new PR-1600 that has a wireless remote ) Not cheap but worth looking into if you want something self-contained with decent quality.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,711
    for the Ravemen lights the Catman suggested. Good quality/reliability and beam pattern perfect for what you described as your intended usage.

    Another option is the Moon Meteor Storm Pro. I've not used one of these yet (I have one on order) but have read many reviews that are overwhelmingly positive. 4.5 hrs. @ 1100 lumens med. setting should be more than enough for your trails.

    https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-me...019-95012.html

    https://road.cc/content/review/21111...teor-storm-pro

    Mole

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

    Another option is the Moon Meteor Storm Pro.
    The Same Product in another overpack.

    2x 8 YEARS old LED emitters XM-L2 wit 2x~3000mah Batteries.
    100% the same like in the first link.
    aliexpress stuff in different casings and no value.

    Heavy, lowest lumen/ Watts.

    alot of ~20$ flashlights outperforming this low quality stuff in all aspects.
    and they are the better choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    have read many reviews that are overwhelmingly positive. 4.5 hrs. @ 1100 lumens
    XM-L2 LEDs will draw 50 Wh Energy for that, that are 5x 18650er batterys.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post
    The Same Product in another overpack.

    2x 8 YEARS old LED emitters XM-L2 wit 2x~3000mah Batteries.
    100% the same like in the first link.
    aliexpress stuff in different casings and no value.

    Heavy, lowest lumen/ Watts.

    alot of ~20$ flashlights outperforming this low quality stuff in all aspects.
    and they are the better choice.
    While Moon is not a highly recognized name in the US they are a major brand internationally (they manufacturer all the Serfas brand lights in the US). While the XM-L2 emitters may have the same die size (as that cheap Amazon light) they are actual Cree branded and are assembled with higher quality drivers and other components (like LG batteries) in a regular factory (with quality control) and are designed to be bicycle lights (not flashlights) so they come with appropriate mounts, adequate heat sink mass, and UI designed for easy operation while mounted to a bicycle (So not quite the same as that Amazon light or a flashlight). I agree the manufacturers lumen output claims are over inflated somewhat but still believe this light will better give the OP what He's looking for than a flashlight LOL.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 09-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,228
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    for the Ravemen lights the Catman suggested. Good quality/reliability and beam pattern perfect for what you described as your intended usage.

    Another option is the Moon Meteor Storm Pro. I've not used one of these yet (I have one on order) but have read many reviews that are overwhelmingly positive. 4.5 hrs. @ 1100 lumens med. setting should be more than enough for your trails.

    https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-me...019-95012.html

    https://road.cc/content/review/21111...teor-storm-pro

    Mole
    This "Moon Meteor Storm Pro" looks very, very promising! For all the features you are getting Merlin is selling these at a great price. I like that not only does it offer a wired remote, a strong looking mount, it also offers a digital run time read out AND the batteries are removable ( not to mention that they are including a set of LG 3350 mAh batteries. I'm tempted to buy one of these myself (...but of course I really don't need any more lights... )

    MRM, once you get yours let me know how well you like the beam pattern and what kind of run time you actual get from the set of LG's they give you. This set-up looks like one of the "Best Bang for the Buck" offers available at this time.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This "Moon Meteor Storm Pro" looks very, very promising! For all the features you are getting Merlin is selling these at a great price. I like that not only does it offer a wired remote, a strong looking mount, it also offers a digital run time read out AND the batteries are removable ( not to mention that they are including a set of LG 3350 mAh batteries. I'm tempted to buy one of these myself (...but of course I really don't need any more lights... )

    MRM, once you get yours let me know how well you like the beam pattern and what kind of run time you actual get from the set of LG's they give you. This set-up looks like one of the "Best Bang for the Buck" offers available at this time.
    I'm curious to check things out when I get this light too. I actually thought the light came with Panasonic cells (not that there's anything wrong with LG's) and looking at the modes output vs. runtime listing on the Merlin site does not match the ones @ Moon-Sport (which don't match another site I've been looking at)? International tracking is active on my order already so light should be here by next week some time. There's also one of those Ravemen LR800P lights coming with that order FYI. Should be fun!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 09-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Found a headlight on Jacks last night
    By Waafoo in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 07:02 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
  4. Easy on - easy off electric kit
    By gfourlias in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM
  5. Cheap headlight for night riding?
    By dissonance in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.