Looking for a good cycling-friendly flashlight specifically - Aesthetic reasons.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Looking for a good cycling-friendly flashlight specifically - Aesthetic reasons.

Hey guys, there are tons of great cycling-specific lights out there, and I am a proud owner of several awesome B&M generator lights and a first gen MagicShine, however, I'm doing a new cruiser/klunker build and am looking to strap a flashlight onto the bottom of a porteur rack specifically for the aesthetics of it.

I remember hating the beam from my MagicShine until I bought one of those wide angle lenses. I suspect that most inexpensive flashlights from ebay, DX, etc, would have a similar tight beam that just won't be ideal for this slower moving project. One other variable I'd love is a more neutral or warm tone from the LED.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good flashlight for cycling and/or any mods that would make the beam more useful? I thought about doing one of those zoom units but I can only find them with cool white options. I'm hoping to spend no more than about $30 on this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    A smaller light with an XM-L / XM-L2 will have a floody beam. My recommendation is a Convoy S2 purchased from Mtn Electronics (Mountain Electronics). I see he only has the red S2+ or the S2 as a host now. The S3 is very similar though. You can choose to have the light modded or custom built or just choose between cool white, neutral white, or warm. These small lights will get HOT on high at over 2A. I EDC an S2 with NW XM-L @ 2.1A and love it. Mine even survived being catapulted by my snowblower and being buried under snow for a couple weeks until I found it.

Mods for beam pattern - I did some testing of diffusion techniques. DC Fix is a good well regarded diffusion film that creates more of a floody beam. Simply apply to the lens and remove it as needed. Plenty of beamshots posted showing it's effects around the web.

You could also look into the Dealmetric zoom light siata94 posted up about awhile ago. I posted some beamshots of that one in that thread.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffsta View Post
    Hey guys, there are tons of great cycling-specific lights out there, and I am a proud owner of several awesome B&M generator lights and a first gen MagicShine, however, I'm doing a new cruiser/klunker build and am looking to strap a flashlight onto the bottom of a porteur rack specifically for the aesthetics of it.

I remember hating the beam from my MagicShine until I bought one of those wide angle lenses. I suspect that most inexpensive flashlights from ebay, DX, etc, would have a similar tight beam that just won't be ideal for this slower moving project. One other variable I'd love is a more neutral or warm tone from the LED.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good flashlight for cycling and/or any mods that would make the beam more useful? I thought about doing one of those zoom units but I can only find them with cool white options. I'm hoping to spend no more than about $30 on this. Thanks!
    Really hard to recommend a torch to someone because there are so many and they are all so different. Garry's recommendation is a good one for buying a "custom build" torch...ie...your choice of host, emitter, driver and or firmware. I was going to order a torch from Mtn Electronics myself but they ran out of some of the stuff I wanted.

Whatever torch you buy you are going to have to deal with the narrow beam patterns. Basically, that is what torches are about. Still, there are options that might be useful to help you reach the goal of achieving a wider beam pattern. When you find a torch that will work for you all you have to do to make the beam wider is use a "diffusing lens". This web site might be helpful to you. Look into the "Acrylite FF P-99" coated lens. They have a moderate diffuse coating that should spread the beam out no matter what size lens you need ( they sell various sizes ).

Tonight I just finished modding one of my older torches ( Yezl ) with a neutral (3C ) XM-L2 T6 emitter. Looks really great! Can't wait to try it out on the trails. The original emitter was a very cool white XM-L. Worked great for backup but the beam tint was very cool with a slight blue tint. Now that it's neutral Xm-L2 it will be much more easier on the eyes. I also have a "Citycat" torch that I'll be switching emitters on as well. I really, really like the beam pattern of the Citycat torch which has a slightly wider beam pattern than most 18650 torches. Great mini ( 18650 ) torch for the bars...my favorite. I wish they still sold the Citycat torches. If they did I would buy a couple more.