Lights For Easy Off Road Tandem Rides..............- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lights For Easy Off Road Tandem Rides..............

Hi Guys looking for some good lights for easy off road rides not doing any Crazy Speeds or Jumping......
    I would like to spend no more then $100 with so many brands and types not sure what to do???
    I have found some cheap flashlight types on eBay and have seen the Niterider for around $80.00
    Then looking around here I see things called Torches???
    Are these just the flashlight type
    What would be a better setup a Niterider or two flashlight / torches for the bars?
    Thanks for the Help!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Mike,

saw your tandem thread. That's a nice looking ride.

Yep a torch is a flashlight, but the torches people are refering to are generally powered by a lithium ion battery - usually an "18650" the battery names sounds confusing until you understand that the notional dimensions are 18 mm in diameter, 65 mm long & the 0 at the end means cylindrical.

Most people are looking for four things in a light
    • Cheap
    • long run time
    • reliable
    • lots of lumens (a way of measuring the amount of light emitted rather than the power used)

The reality is that you only get to pick the 2 items form the list that are most important to you.

I am not sure of which model of Niterider you are refering to but at less than $100 I suspect it is a minewt 250. It seems to be a nice light, but they are not cheap, nor do they put out lots of lumens.

I use 2 front lights, both from dealextreme, Magicshine 808 and an xml p60 torch, mounted to my helmet using 2 bits of old tube. If I had to run just one light I would choose the xml - ignore the claimed lumens from chinese manufacturers as they are all overstated, the xml is at least as bright, if not brighter as the "900" lumen light. You can also get an xml magicshine

A torch to take a p60 module is a pretty simple unit but I suggest you read this trouble shooting guide on Candlepower forums so you know how to fix it if your stars were not in alignment today.

My P60 module was not a good fit in the host, but that was easy to fix with instructions from this thread

Runtime on high is allegedly 60 minutes and I was surprised to see that was about what I get from 1 x 18650 "2400".

Assuming that your rides are less than 60 minutes, if I was in your shoes I would look at something like this:

Total $57

There are plenty of other similar suppliers - manafont.com, kaidomain.com and solarforce-sales.com to list a few

If you decide you like night riding and want to spend the money on lights with greater lumens, longer run time and better build quality I would suggest looking at a small volume manufacturer like bajadesigns.com or assembling your own light - see for example this thread

mtbr member
    Thanks Bruce that helped some now I did see that video on the WF-501B that thing puts out some good light!!
    Will two of those on my bar be good for off-road at a good speed?
    I was looking at the NiteRider Minewt Mini 150-USB
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Thanks Bruce that helped some now I did see that video on the WF-501B that thing puts out some good light!!
    Thanks!!
    If you go the NiteRider route, the 2011-2012 lights just came out. The Minewt Mini was bumped up to 300 lumens for the same price, so definitely don't bite on the 150.

There's also a cordless Minewt 350 (350 lumens - battery combined with the light) with an MSRP of $109.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Minewt Cordless

Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    There's also a cordless Minewt 350 (350 lumens - battery combined with the light) with an MSRP of $109.
    I just bought a Minewt Cordless 350 for $99 shipped. I love it, it's got a very good beam, it's lightweight, compact, USB chargeable, comes up a handlebar mount that works great and has a quick release and it has no freaking cord! I love that part. For a real budget light and for easy rides I'd be tempted to get a Minewt 150 Cordless though, they can be had for around $60-70.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I have something similar

Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post

Assuming that your rides are less than 60 minutes, if I was in your shoes I would look at something like this:

Total $57

There are plenty of other similar suppliers - manafont.com, kaidomain.com and solarforce-sales.com to list a few

If you decide you like night riding and want to spend the money on lights with greater lumens, longer run time and better build quality I would suggest looking at a small volume manufacturer like bajadesigns.com or assembling your own light - see for example this thread
    It's an Aurora P7 LED flashlight (or torch) powered by one 18650 battery (one can carry two batteries) . I bought it from Dealextreme ($37), they say it's 900 lumens, it's may be less lumens in reality but it's a good bright light. Something like that is probably the best way to go on a budget. I couldn't find a handlbar mount for it that I was happy with, so I will continue to use that on my helmet. Sometimes though I just want a no fuss, lightweight, easy-on handlebar light for easy night rides, hence the NiterRider Minewt Cordless.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Thanks!!
    No worries Mike. What is enough llight is going to depend on a whole host of factors, including your eyesight & personal preference, whether you ride fast open trails, tight & twisty single track, uphill & down dale. Me I only commute at night & find the head torch gives me good light out to 50 m +, but YMMV.

I think you will find the 150 is not enough light and as the other posters have indicated you can do much better for the price.

The reason I suggested a torch on your helmet is that a quick turn of your head lights up the corner rather than just straight ahead like on the handlebars. Simialrly you can look up the path or fix a tube. Just don't look directly at your stoker or you will get a sharp complaint, often followed by a smack to the back of the head. Same goes for looking anywhere else inappropriate

Speaking of cheap, you may have noticed this thread on the latest dirt cheap bike light - with an [URL="http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510"]xml[/ur] for less than US $45.

Sure you are paying the chinese lottery, but never mind the quality feel the price.

You would still come out around $84 & have lights that are plenty bright enough to start with. Personally I suspect you are going to love riding at night & become a lumen hound like most - these are just some cheap waya to confirm you like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    The reason I suggested a torch on your helmet is that a quick turn of your head lights up the corner rather than just straight ahead like on the handlebars. Simialrly you can look up the path or fix a tube. Just don't look directly at your stoker or you will get a sharp complaint, often followed by a smack to the back of the head. Same goes for looking anywhere else inappropriate
    Lol....Thanks Guys!!!