Lighting questions/ comparisons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lighting questions/ comparisons

I had my mind set on a NiteRider Trinewt and possibly a minewt for helmet as well. However, after reading the forums it seems there are many other alternatives at a cheaper price. What would you guys recomend as something similar for less $$ ??

I was wondering about Geomans MagicShine and another smaller helmet light? Would this be a good alternative? Or should I just spend more money?

How would the trustfire 801 compare to a Minewt?

Any recomendations are apprecaiated!!!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Shameless plug

There are much better alternatives than a trinewt.

Both the amoeba by scar and my 500l are lighter and brighter than a trinewt for instance

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just returned my trinewt. I wasn't impressed. It was too expensive, the battery is too big, and most importantly (to me) the power switch is on the battery (which makes it difficult to use as a headlight. In return, I got two MagicShine lights and I still had aobut $200 dollars to spend on other bike stuff.

mtbr member
    That's what I was concerned with too, the power switch, and the weight if i mounted it on my helmet (even though my lbs has one for 249.00 new)...

Have you used your MagicShine yet? If you have, does one Magicshine work as well as the trinewt? If you don't have them yet, will you report back when you do test them??

Does anyone know how a dinotte 600 compares to the MagicShine?

I am really thinking of starting with the MagicShine, and then adding something else. If I start with a MagicShine and then add something like the Amoeba or 500I, which light is better where (helmet/handlebar)??? I just want to be able to maintain most of my daylight riding speed at night.

Thanks for any and all info!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead
    I just returned my trinewt. I wasn't impressed. It was too expensive, the battery is too big, and most importantly (to me) the power switch is on the battery (which makes it difficult to use as a headlight. In return, I got two MagicShine lights and I still had aobut $200 dollars to spend on other bike stuff.
    Last edited by 56cbr600rr; 08-18-2009 at 11:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think your LBS shop has it on sale now because it may be discontinued. I don't see the trinewt on niterider'swebsite anymore. My MagicShine does shine better than the trinewt. I'm not sure if it is 900 lumens but it is brighter. I think the MagicShine'sbeam is a bit more focused than the trinewt. I could probably wear the battery on my helmet if I wanted to but I'm opting to put it in my pack. The MagicShine's headlamp does get warm to the touch but it's not a big deal. I've been told to turn it to low when not moving to reduce heat generation. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    It does help, thanks!

Yes, it is on clearance and half off as well. I'll probably just order the MagicShine at 1/3 the NR sale price.

mtbr member
    Ordered the MagicShine from Geoman. Will prolly order amoeba or the 500L in several weeks after seeing how magicshine does.

sandbagger
    i bought this for my dirtbike. Found out it mounts to my handlebars for my bike and put the battery in camel back the switch is halfway up cord.

http://www.trailtech.net/SCMR16_helmet_light_kits.html

this sucker is seriously bright , brighter than a car with two hids.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Torches

Check out the Threads on the torches. Sounds like you already made up your mind but for less than $150 you could have no wires and about 1800 lumens....

these things rock and if something breaks you don't freak out that you just dropped $400+.

to each their own.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=436303

mtbr member
    Ordered my MagicShine Wednesday morning, received it here north of Atlanta Friday at 1pm!!! That is very very quik shipping. Already a good impression. Taking the light out of the box it really has a quality feel to it as well, solid, but light. It appears pretty bright too, although my only test has been in my garage. I'll give a more full report when I really test it. I'll run it side by side with my buddies li ion Light and Motion ARC, and give a comparison.

A+ so far.

mtbr member

Another option.

Quote Originally Posted by 56cbr600rr
    Ordered the MagicShine from Geoman. Will prolly order amoeba or the 500L in several weeks after seeing how magicshine does.
    May be out of your budget, but for comparison sakes check out a DIY option >>
    http://www.luminousdiy.com/Product%20Comparison.htm

Not as cheap, will admit that, but also not poor quality import junk either.

Good luck in the search!

FYI, I think that DX light (Geoman's) puts out about 600 actual lumens; that's once it's up to op temp etc. Some conservative 'ballparked' thermal calculations put me at that figure.

billysorton
    Jul 2007
    Here are beamshots from a bike's perspective, 2 actually. P7 torches, led bikelights, hid bikelights, the Trustfire tr-801 someone was asking about, and of course the Magicshine. Be prepared to be amazed........
    http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

mtbr member
    MAgicShine is great, however, my new one is more green in color. Is that a fault or a problem?

mtbr member
    Probably just a change in binning, but if you got it from Geoman, I would reach out. DX, not so much

Members who have read this thread: 0