Which light system to get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Which light system to get?

hello guys,

well, i decided that i have to get a light system if i wish to keep training. I also have a set of rollers, but i get really bored while training on them. I get off from school at around 5pm and we run out of light at around 7, and I have to wake up early in the morning to go to medschool. So the question is, which light system whould i get? I have a budget of aprox. $250. I was thinking about getting the niterider Minewt dual 400 or the Light & Motion Stella 300. Any suggestions and ideas will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance and best wishes to everyone.

Doc
    ´07 IBEX Asta Expert X9 "La Bonita"
    ´04 LITESPEED Classic "Chispita"

Jan ´07 @ 224lbs - Jan ´08 @165lbs - Goal @ 155lbs

American Icon

Of those two

I say Stella. L&M makes great product, and is backed by a solid reputation for customer service. A sinlge Stella makes for a great light, and with the flood-spot combo should make for a great option for you.

my 2cents...

Jul 2009
    I have a Cygolite TridenX (600lm) which is outside your price range,

however the CygoLite Mity Cross LED Li-Ion Headlight 350lm 240g may meet your needs

I found an add as per below for your info, but as I don't know rep of shop I have deleted their name. I can't speak to the Mity other than to offer that the Cygolite is well made and MTBR reviews I have read also reflect positively on the lights.

Good luck with your search, and whatever you choose it is likely to serve you well .

js
    MSRP: $240.00
    Our Price: $214.98
    10% Off
    Incredibly small and impressively bright, the CygoLite Mity Cross LED Li-Ion Headlight features single beam size with dual beam brightness. With 6 modes, a featherweight Li-Ion battery plus both helmet and handlebar mounts, the CygoLite Mity Cross LED Li-Ion...
    more info »

mtbr member
    I really like the Niterider Mininewt. I have had one for a couple of years and its pretty much on the bike all the time. Its pretty much bullet proof. I have always been impressed the the L & M Hid lights and their construction-switches, plugs etc. That being said I think the NR is very impressive with the Lithium Ion and 400 Lums. This is the type of light that will make the Hid's almost obsolecent. The Cygo is probably Ok but the customer service and availabilty of accessories from NR is going to be very tough to match.

mtbr member
    Check out the classifieds here or the DIY section for cheap and bright options

BBW
    mtbr member
    If you want bright and cheap, look on Zen B...... awesome little monsters

mtbr member
    Thanks for the vote BBW

"Mr. Britannica"
    dx $80 special?

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    Thanks for the vote BBW
    Well, I've seen them and they are quality and performance at an affordable price

mtbr member
    You can make your own light out of some torches.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported
    Two sets of these will give you more then enough light and help you with keeping the budget low. Just get your self some rechargeable batteries and save the rest of your money for school. You can go to the store and ask for some of the reflectors they place on new bikes and mount them to that. It should give you a very impressive system for less then 60 dollars.

mtbr member
    If price is the biggest issue, and you don't care too much about the performance, get a couple cheapo imports like these >> Lots of light, not much $$

Otherwise, there are some very very nice DIY style lights you'll find offered in the classifieds, and also mentioned in the DIY MTBR section.

Most all will outperform all the "name brands" in performance and value. I know mine deinitely do!!

Good luck!

mtbr member
    i think i will be ordering two magicshine sets, one for the bar and the other one for the helmet. I am not a cheapo, I just simply can´t afford to get the expensive stuff, so as long as the lights last throughout the season, I will be more than pleased. We´ll se how the lights behave. I will probably order my first set from Geoman within the next 2 weeks.
    ´07 IBEX Asta Expert X9 "La Bonita"
    ´04 LITESPEED Classic "Chispita"

Jan ´07 @ 224lbs - Jan ´08 @165lbs - Goal @ 155lbs

mtbr member
    Hey, I'd get one too if I wasn't making my own which are far superior! ...and for the record, I am a cheapo, I'll freely admit it

Calling the lights cheapo anyway ...as they fit both possible interpretations of that term. I would call you a value oriented consumer.

Hope they last the season!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorholguin
    i think i will be ordering two magicshine sets, one for the bar and the other one for the helmet.... We´ll se how the lights behave. I will probably order my first set from Geoman within the next 2 weeks.
    Cool, be sure to post back with your thoughts on the lights once you've had a chance to use them a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think i will be ordering two magicshine sets, one for the bar and the other one for the helmet. I am not a cheapo, I just simply can´t afford to get the expensive stuff, so as long as the lights last throughout the season, I will be more than pleased. We´ll se how the lights behave. I will probably order my first set from Geoman within the next 2 weeks.
    I just ordered mine last week, you can't go wrong with the price. Even if they explode in mid-air after a year of riding, you've definetly got your moneys worth.

Here are some reviews/thoughts on the MS.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521241

Good luck!
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Just keep in mind the fact of EMI that makes it impossible to use MS together with HR monitor or other wireless devices. Saving from such "trifles" usually cost something, and that's the difference between a brand like LUPINE and it's Chinese copy...

Ahhh the pain....
    I just purchased one of the magicshines from Geoman and had it out for the "maiden voyage" this morning(road ride). Left at 4:45AM and needed it up till about 5:30. Plenty of light although I did run it on high all the time. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to mount the battery pack, but the wire was long enough to put under the seat. I think for the price, it's hard to beat. Little skeptical about the mounting with the o-ring, but it was solid. I think if I do some MTB'ing with it, I'll get another and mount to my helmet...anyone have any suggestions on how to mount one there ?
    thx...

mtbr member
    enduro maxx d

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    enduro maxx d

He said he has a budget of $250.

mtbr member
    Sales post and last time I show up here, but here if you decide against the magic shine

http://trailled.blogspot.com/2009/03...atisfried.html

$185 shipped in your color choice of red, black, gold, or natural.

Members who have read this thread: 0