Light suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Light suggestions

Need a light, but one that is going to help these old eyes of mine see. As I've gotten older (all gray hair now) I've noticed that I need more and more contrast to see well at night.

I prefer helmet mount. Riding will be mostly on light-less trails. All suggestions welcomed.

Phread

mtbr member
    ....uh hmm...us..

But seriously, if you are wanting a system that will give you good contrast, typically (and there may be some that disagree with me) I like a neutral color LED like the T6 bin XM-L, to my 43 year old eyes it appears as similar to natural sunlight color as you'll find. Most good systems out there these days will have something very similar to the T6 if not that exact bin LED.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Baja Designs; 08-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phread View Post
    Need a light, but one that is going to help these old eyes of mine see. As I've gotten older (all gray hair now) I've noticed that I need more and more contrast to see well at night.

I prefer helmet mount. Riding will be mostly on light-less trails. All suggestions welcomed.

Phread
    I think jetlites and dinotte have some of the whitest beams.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went for the lupine piko 6, I tested the 750 lumens pico 3 last winter and you hardly now there is a light on you head, and the beam is wide enough so don't need to go spotting with your head.
    The 900 lumens version will probably be used on eco mode?

But maybe i 'll go for a 2' unit anyway, but first try one!

turtles make me hot
    I have 2011 Exposure Toro and Diablo lights. I use the Diablo on my helmet and the Toro on my bars. On high, both lights are rated at 900 lumens. I run them on medium since high is more light than I need.
    I'm 46, so I get what you're saying.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Phread,,I too am up there (49) and do find limitations with my night vision. Over the years i have upgraded several times to what i'm now using,,,, Lupines. Their expensive but the new 2013 Wilma which will kick my more expensive Betty's a$$ will be all you will ever need. 2400 lumens spread over a 26 degree beam will be like riding in the day. Just think, an Audi headlight on your helmet but with much better coulor rendition.SWEET!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    ....uh hmm...us..

But seriously, if you are wanting a system that will give you good contrast, typically (and there may be some that disagree with me) I like a neutral color LED like the T6 bin XM-L, to my 43 year old eyes it appears as similar to natural sunlight color as you'll find. Most good systems out there these days will have something very similar to the T6 if not that exact bin LED.

Hope that helps!
    ^^^^^ THIS^^^^^ Shannon is the man and the Baja Designs lights are the SH!T. They work great on bikes, helmets, of race cars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    ....uh hmm...us..

I agree with the sentiment, but T6 is not a color grade. It is a flux or brightness grade. There is a T6 cool white and a T6 neutral white. Most T6 lights have the T6 cool white, though I think Baja Designs is one of the exceptions (Kudos). That bin is a good trade off of light output and quality.

However, for best contrast and depth perception, you'd want to go even lower than the 5000K of the Cree T6 neutral white. Say about 4000K like the old halogens. Typically, you'll lose lumens, about 20% compared to cool white, but most people say it's worth it (see the poll here on tint). Sadly these are hard to find. Some tactical flashlights have them and there is one South African company, Pyrolights, doing it, but everyone else is caught up in the lumen marketing arms race and it is easier to get high lumens with a higher temp light.

Again, I think Baja Designs has made a good trade-off, especially coming from motor sports where throw distance is more important than close up detail. For many mountain bikers though it's more important to see that sharp rock 25 feet away than seeing something 200 yards away, so the output vs. quality equation is different.
    Last edited by Ryan C.; 09-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    I built a Lux-rc powered "Matt" housing light and it gives great contrast/color/throw. Building one is easy and is the way to go in my opinion. Get a water bottle battery from batteryspace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    good info, I'm also in the market for lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The lupine piko with 900 real lumens is a pretty handy light!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just bought 1600 lumens light, but have not tested it riding yet. Will update after I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just got the niterider lumina 650 and love it.

Members who have read this thread: 0